Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Sore when up on toes?
By LucyBalletLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 05, 2012 03:09 PM

Whenever I go on my toes in heavy shoes it really hurts. Just going up hurts and it's very sore to do anything. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've had them a few months now.
Thanks.

10 Replies to Sore when up on toes?

re: Sore when up on toes? (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Sat May 05, 2012 05:15 PM
Where is it sore? Is there pain or is it just muscle soreness/cramping? Is there pain out of the shoes or pain to the touch? If it's just sore in the hardshoes on your toes? Any other time? What brand of hardshoes are they and do they fit your feet right?
re: Sore when up on toes?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 05, 2012 05:45 PM
On tiptoe, as in on high demi-pointe, or en pointe? And to agree with the above, where is the pain? Do you have any blisters, grazes, bleeding, blisters? Is it muscular? You have to be more specific.
By Realtreble
On Sat May 05, 2012 07:01 PM
Louise wrote:

On tiptoe, as in on high demi-pointe, or en pointe? And to agree with the above, where is the pain? Do you have any blisters, grazes, bleeding, blisters? Is it muscular? You have to be more specific.

Louise, didn't you or someone else write the definitive instructions for en pointe? I have tried to find that post, with no luck. Why wasn't it made sticky?
re: Sore when up on toes? (karma: 1)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 05, 2012 08:26 PM
www.dance.net . . .
Is this the one you were looking for?
By Realtreble
On Sat May 05, 2012 09:37 PM
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2012-05-05 21:39:21
Hop_123 wrote:

www.dance.net . . .
Is this the one you were looking for?

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you. I did a ddn Google search and checked general, technique, champs and hardshoe. Never thought to check photos.
On Sun May 06, 2012 06:21 AM
I think they're Inisfree. My teacher got them for me. They're size 5 1/2 uk, I usually wear size 5 in shoes. At the beginning I thought they were a bit big but she said they were fine. It's when I go on Demi pointe (I'm only in tus/intermediate) it hurts. It's not a muscle pain. I don't know how to describe it but it's just a pain at the point where I rise up (if you know what I mean).
Thanks for the help!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 06, 2012 06:58 AM
Whereabouts on your foot is the pain?

If it is the ball of your foot then the taps might be a little too big and you can get them sanded down to suit.

If it is the arch, do you have the same pain in your light shoes?

If it is the top of your foot, have a look - is there anything that could be digging in when the shape of the shoe changes?
On Fri May 11, 2012 04:12 PM
Sorry for the long wait. The pain is on the ball of my feet. The shoe has a big crease just before the toes. I said it to my teacher but she didn't say anything, she told me to keep dancing. Is there any other way besides sanding them down? I don't know how I'd do it and I'd rather not ruin them by mistake.
Thanks again.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Sat May 12, 2012 06:08 PM
Sounds like maybe the tip is too thick. That can force your foot into a weird shape, with your toes pointing up and more pressure than usual on the ball of your foot. A higher heel can make that even worse. The only real cure for this is to have the tip sanded down. A shoe repair shop might be able to help with that.

Another possibility is that you need more padding in your shoes. I use double thickness Dr. Scholl's pads in mine and change them out every month.

A third possibility is that you injured yourself or are training too hard. In that case your feet might need some rest.

It's relatively inexpensive and simple to try more padding, so maybe you could start with that and go on from there.

The one thing I wouldn't do is ignore it and "keep dancing". Sore feet don't dance well, and if you're not injured already, you could wind up that way. No fun.

Best of luck to you. :)
On Thu May 17, 2012 10:25 AM
Thanks, I was going to try gel insoles anyway. Thanks!

ReplySendWatch