Forum: Welcome

Getting My Students To Smile
By PraiseGoinUp
On Thu May 10, 2012 12:08 PM

Every year after the recital I receive great feed back that the recital was awesome. However, every year I hear the question, why the dancers don't smile, they look mean . I've implanted smiles in the dance routine. I asked them why they don't smile. They say they don't know. They say they enjoy coming and the parents say the same. Also they eniger level is not high they not excited at all. Even when we let them pick out music. Any suggestions.

5 Replies to Getting My Students To Smile

re: Getting My Students To Smile
By DanceDean
On Thu May 10, 2012 01:02 PM
They can't just smile at recital. They won't be conditioned to do so and they'll forget. They have to smile during practice, too. Practice makes perfect - even with smiling!

You can have signs in the wings or with people in the front row that say "Smile."

Good luck!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu May 10, 2012 01:09 PM
You have to drill it. I used to have teachers that said "Today is dedicated to our faces...we're running the dance and every time I see someone not smiling, we start it over." and that's all we did the entire time. It has to get to the point shere tehy don't have to consciously think of it every moment.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu May 10, 2012 05:53 PM
Yup, not just in routines, either. Get them to smile at the barre or during warm ups. When they do combos, etc., too. It is just as much a part of their dance as their arms and feet.
By rhythmjive85
On Sat May 12, 2012 09:02 AM
Sometimes I have the dancers sit on chairs and do the dance with just their arms and faces. (We have issues with sloppy arms, too.) I restart the music every time I see a dancer not performing full out.
By PraiseGoinUp
On Sun May 20, 2012 07:52 PM
Everyone thanks for your reply

ReplySendWatch