Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Modeling & Pageantry
VERY improtant!!!!!!!!!!!! Modeling job. HELP
By balletbaker911 Comments: 105, member since Sat Dec 03, 2011
On Sat May 12, 2012 07:13 AM

I got on to allmodeling.com to look for a modeling job. I have to experience, but people have told me I should try it. I found a job that looked good, emailed the person. He gave me all the info about the shoot(location, reason,requirments,pay, etc.) His client is Dreams Agency(in London) and the shoot is for a world wide Ann Taylor magazine. I would be paid $2000, half before shoot, other half after. My question is does this seem like a reliable/trustworthy job? I don't want to be scammed, but it seems legitamite to me. Has anyone had any experience with this company or anything at all???

13 Replies to VERY improtant!!!!!!!!!!!! Modeling job. HELP

re: VERY improtant!!!! Modeling job. HELP
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 12, 2012 10:04 AM
A scam means that they're trying to get money out of you, have they asked you for any money? If they have then say no.

With the information you've given here it looks OK to me.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sat May 12, 2012 10:54 AM
Look into the agency and google the name plus scam, check out the BBB and things like that. If there are a LOT of people saying to avoid them, then do so. Look at the location and see if it makes sense. If you are uncomfortable going to the shoot on your own, take a friend or parent or something. And if it makes you uncomfortable doing this, or if it feels "off" when you get there, you can always leave.
On Tue May 15, 2012 07:02 PM
I have not been asked for any money, he only offered me money.
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Tue May 15, 2012 07:47 PM
www.taltopia.com . . .-

From what you've said, it looks legitimate. But it's for an Ann Taylor shoot? I checked the agency website, and the listed girls look like glamour models. You know, like, for car ads and stuff.

Anyway, why don't you see if the shoot is professional? If the photographer is polite, your poses are appropriate, and the makeup crew is skilled, then that's all good. Congratulations for the job!
On Tue May 15, 2012 08:02 PM
I thought the whole Ann Taylor thing seemed a little weird. Why would they pick me who has no experience. I think Ann Taylor would not use Dreams Agency. It's a little wierd.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Tue May 15, 2012 08:24 PM
You should do some research on Ann Taylor models- currently they source most of their models from DNA and IMG agency's in New York. All of these models are experienced. For example, they use Carolyn Murphy a lot and she has page after page of fashion spreads and work history.
models.com . . .

Who knows though, just investigate and be smart.
By barrelracer09 Comments: 3, member since Sat May 19, 2012
On Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 AM
Hi, I recently found a posting for the same thing on craigslist. I emailed and sent pics and a few measurements, sure enough I was chosen. He wants to pay me $1,000 before the shoot and $1,000 after. This is also for Ann Taylor world wide, and his client is called Dreams. I am waiting to receive the check in the mail for $2,500 where I have to take $1,000 for my payment, and forward the rest to the studio I will be doing the modeling at. I am supposed to be modeling 12 outfits for his client to update her fashion catalog with a new line of clothing from Italy. Everything you have said, is what I am experiencing and going through with this guy as well. Please email me, patriotpony516@aol.com I'd like to talk to you about this if at all possible. Thanks!
re: VERY improtant!!!! Modeling job. HELP (karma: 1)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 AM
barrelracer09 wrote:

I am waiting to receive the check in the mail for $2,500 where I have to take $1,000 for my payment, and forward the rest to the studio I will be doing the modeling at.
At this point it is a scam. If you put that check in your bank account and send off money to the "studio" you'll never see that money again.

The check you receive will not be any good. It may look OK, exactly like it came from Ann Taylor (or other well-known company) right down to their correct bank number and checking account number. If you wait a couple of days and check with your bank to see if the check cleared OK they may even tell you it did clear, because it did. But that's only temporary. The end of the month comes, the Ann Taylor Company (or whoever) does their monthly checking account reconciliation and, Whoops! There's a check that cleared their account which they never wrote!

After they contact their bank's fraud division, their bank contacts your bank and gets their money back out of your account. It doesn't matter that your bank assured you that the check had cleared. You have no recourse.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 PM
You don't pay for a job, they pay you.

If you are being asked for money, it's not good, stay away from it.
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat May 19, 2012 01:18 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-05-19 13:19:07
toroandbruin wrote:

barrelracer09 wrote:

I am waiting to receive the check in the mail for $2,500 where I have to take $1,000 for my payment, and forward the rest to the studio I will be doing the modeling at.
At this point it is a scam. If you put that check in your bank account and send off money to the "studio" you'll never see that money again.

The check you receive will not be any good. It may look OK, exactly like it came from Ann Taylor (or other well-known company) right down to their correct bank number and checking account number. If you wait a couple of days and check with your bank to see if the check cleared OK they may even tell you it did clear, because it did. But that's only temporary. The end of the month comes, the Ann Taylor Company (or whoever) does their monthly checking account reconciliation and, Whoops! There's a check that cleared their account which they never wrote!

After they contact their bank's fraud division, their bank contacts your bank and gets their money back out of your account. It doesn't matter that your bank assured you that the check had cleared. You have no recourse.

QFE. You should not be responsible for paying anyone else. If you're getting paid $1000 then it should be a check for $1000. That's a lot of trust, paying you $2500 and hoping you, a stranger, is honest enough to send the other $1500 on to the other company. No real service would do such a thing. They would pay you directly and they would pay the other company directly, you would not be the middle man.

Don't do it.

It's similar to a teaching/private lesson scam - look at the similarities:
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

There are many other similar threads, those are the three most recent. Don't do it! Sounds definitely like a scam.
On Sat May 19, 2012 01:54 PM
Thanks for your posts everyone. As of today I have been waiting since Monday to get this check...didn't get it again today. I knew this was clearly a scam way back, but I've decided to catch him therefore I am waiting for the check and am turning it into the police if that's where I should take this...idk where else lol. Anyway, he keeps saying he'll forward the rest of the information once I get the check and that it clears. I said wow, very trustworthy on his sponsor's part (he says his sponsors are the one sending the check to me) and I said I could just cash it and run with the money if I was a dishonest person. He said that the feds would be all over me if I were to do that....well soon the feds will be all over him :P
On Sat May 19, 2012 01:56 PM
Also, I don't have a checking account either, and he told me to just take it to a local place that cashes checks in my area.....so if I were to cash this, what would happen afterwards if it did bounce? And could I go to jail if I were to cash it regardless if I had a checking account or not?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sat May 19, 2012 10:01 PM
No matter who cashes it, they are within their rights to come after you to get the money back when it bounces. That's why places that cash checks get your ID -- driver's license number and so on.

Yes, you can try to go after the scammers and you may be able to slow them down. The "studio" address, for example, is really a UPS or similar box somewhere with a forwarding address that goes overseas. The authorities may be able to close down that one address before additional harm is done. Go to your local police and ask about the possibility of doing this.

But you won't be able to catch the thieves. They're not in the US. They may have a US phone number (which, when it rings, really gets forwarded to another country). And when the envelope with the check arrives not only will the envelope have the "Ann Taylor" return address but it will have a US postmark. That's because the thieves have hired someone in the US to work from home "processing and mailing paychecks" using the supplies the scammers provide. Now, the paycheck processing person will probably be getting paid with real money and will think they have a legitimate job (which they probably got through Craig's list or similar). If the authorities can find the check-writer, (s)he will be surprised to find out the truth and will not get in trouble (I think). But it will probably be impossible for the authorities to find the check-writer. Save the envelope anyway because the postmark could be a clue to the location.

ReplySendWatch