Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Dystopian fiction part deux
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed May 16, 2012 09:23 AM

Cause the last one was too old to contribute to.

I just finished reading Ashes by Isla J. Bick... not a bad read at all. Its yet another trilogy. I have to wait till sept to get the next book in the series (hopefully the holds list won't be too big at the library).

I have Divergent and the second book in the series on hold at the library... I think I'm number 80 on the wait list but they have 30 electronic copies.

Right now I'm reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth, which is also part of a trilogy, and took all 3 out of the library, so I have 21 days to read 3 books.

I have wanted to reread The Chrysalids for the last few years, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available electronically.

I'm seriously in love with my eReader! I have read more books in the last 5 months than I have read in the last 5 years.

Any other good dystopian reads? I'm good with the teen fiction really, makes for a lighter read.

12 Replies to Dystopian fiction part deux

re: Dystopian fiction part deux
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed May 16, 2012 08:56 PM
I had no idea forest of hands and teeth was a trilogy! Let me know what you think of the second two, because I really enjoyed the first one.

I liked Matched by Ally Condie. There are two books out so far: Matched and Crossed.

I tried a sample of Divergent, but it didn't hook me enough to buy the whole book. Did it stay/get interesting?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 PM
I really did not like Forest of Hands and Teeth. I felt like the characters were flat and not engaging at all. Especially the main character. She was so flippin annoying.

I reading Divergent when it first came out and it really hooked me! But I had to wait so long for the next one to come out that I can't really remember what happened in the first one. I'm going to reread the first one and then try and read the next one again.

Ashes was ok. The very ending made it really good and I really want to read the next one but I remember there being a good 45-50 pages there that I really had to force myself to keep reading. Actually I almost didn't get passed the first 20 pages because Ellie made me want to punch a panda. If it had been me I would have left that brat.

Matched and Crossed are pretty good, I liked Matched better but it is really interesting.

Some of the dystopian books that I really liked and am now waiting for the next ones in the series to come out are: Enclave by Ann Aguirre, Wither by Lauren DeStefano (the sequel is out I just haven't had a chance to read it), Article 5 by Kristen Simmons, Eve by Anna Carey and there are a few others.

Eve by Anna Carey is actually really twisted and I feel like the idea of it is actually WAY better than the writing style.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu May 17, 2012 05:44 PM
I think this one has been mentioned in other threads. But I liked the City of Ember books. They are YA, so they are quick and easy, but still a good story.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu May 17, 2012 08:06 PM
I read City of Ember. Liked it much better than the seuqual, called City of Sparks or something like that.

Thanks for the recomendations, I'm looking forward to finding some new summer reading!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Thu May 17, 2012 08:10 PM
I just finished listening to Divergent a couple weeks ago on Audible.com and I'm going to go out and buy the paper copy of Insurgent tonight, I believe. I'm also in the middle of reading Delirium which is getting better and better. It's a series as well so I can't wait to really get into them all. Boyfriend just read The Maze Runner on our holiday and is totally hooked on that story so he'll be getting the sequel to that tonight, too.

I'm listening to Legend on Audible right now and it's good so far but I haven't really heard enough yet.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 PM
^Ugh, I hope Delirium gets better. I'm halfway and I am really not feeling it. I downloaded it on a recommendation for light summer reading and it's not doing it for me. I didn't mind Wither, but I think it just takes something extraordinary for me to be really into a YA novel as an adult. I might have to find some other options for trashy beach reads.
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Fri May 18, 2012 09:34 AM
I still haven't fully switched over to adult fic, so most of my favorites are still mostly YA, but I generally really dislike romance centered dystopians so none of these recommendations will be the typical YA fluff.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman was one of the most thought-provoking, horrifying, defamiliarizing books I have ever read, which I think is exactly what a dystopian should be. The descriptions, imagery, even specific bits of dialogue, still haunt me.

The classic dystopians: Ender's Game, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World. (and others that I haven't read yet, I'm sure!) These are all really worth reading. Sometimes they don't have the instant appeal of more modern reads, but I think they're really valuable, especially given the impact they had on their original audience, and how long they've lasted as very popular books. I understood the genre a lot better once I read these, and it helped me to understand the modern dystopians better too.

Okay, these are kids books, technically, but I think they're still very much worth reading. The Sky Inside by Clare B. Dunkle (an easier, more obviously kids read, but still SO GOOD!), and The Giver by Lois Lowry, which is incredibly well written and thoughtful, and not at all obviously kids/YA.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 PM
Megan, Delirium does get better! I'm about half way through the next book in the trilogy right now and it's definetly captured my attention!

I bought The Eleventh Plague the other night by Jeff Hirsch...looks good and very end-of-the-world-y, which I like.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue May 22, 2012 12:15 PM
I finished Forest of Hands and Feet and I'm about 1/3 through the second book... I'm enjoying the read, overall not fantastic, but not horrid either.
On Tue May 22, 2012 01:57 PM
So I have a technicality question. I thought that Dystopian novels were post-end of civilization, and what you do to pick up the pieces. I feel that Ashes (which I did enjoy, thanks for the recomendation!) is more of an apocolyptic novel than dystopian. Thoughts? Where do you draw the line?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Tue May 22, 2012 02:24 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-05-22 14:28:40
^A dystopia is an imaginary place where everything is as bad as can be. It's not necessarily post-end of civilisation.
On Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 AM
I finished Pandemonium, the second book in the Delirium trilogy, and the books got better and better. I highly recommend them to everyone! The 2nd book ended with a massive cliffhanger that's had me thinking about it for days!

Just started The 11th Plague by Jeff Hirsch which I believe is his first novel. So far, it's alright, the story is compelling but the writing is only pretty good. He used the exact same simile for two different things in the same couple pages, I didn't like that.

ReplySendWatch