Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
Questions about BATD's North American Sadie Simpson Highland Scholarships
By GhillieGirlCANPremium member Comments: 108, member since Fri Jan 23, 2009
On Wed May 16, 2012 03:37 PM

Hi! Our DD is in the Beginner level of competition. She did very well in her theory testing (Grade 2) and has been selected to go to this year's Junior Scholarship Competition. We are very proud of her!

We realize this is a big honour but we are overwhelmed by it and the lack of information. Our first question is,"is she right for this event and is this event right for her"? Some of the literature that I've found from past years seems to indicate that this event is for intermediate and premier dancers. If this is accurate,then it seems that she might not get anything from it? Also, it's possible that she's going to be there going up against premier dancers in her age category, isn't it? That wouldn't be our deciding factor, but is there enough besides the Scholarship competition, at the event?

We'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been selected, whether you went or not! Thanks for your help!

7 Replies to Questions about BATD's North American Sadie Simpson Highland Scholarships

re: Questions about BATD's North American Sadie Simpson Highland Scholarships
By justdoit Comments: 1282, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Wed May 16, 2012 05:06 PM
I don't think there is any rule about what level dancers have to be. I don't think I have ever known a beginner to try for the scholarship (scholarship class, choreography & theory paper) but I don't think there is a rule against it. Be forewarned that most of the competitors for the scholarship will be premier dancers. However, I am sure your daughter would get a lot from the classes offered throughout the weekend...and I have seen beginners at these classes. Overall, I would say this event is more geared to Intermediate/premier dancers. What does your teacher think?
By GaelicWannabe Comments: 212, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Wed May 16, 2012 06:39 PM
I would have the same question as Ghillie Girl though. A beginner or novice won't necessarily know or do the championship steps in the highlands or even have started some of the premier level nationals. If those are the focus of the workshops it's not going to be very helpful for beginner/novice dancers.
By HighlndSoccerMom Comments: 278, member since Sat Dec 06, 2008
On Wed May 16, 2012 07:07 PM
My DD and I went last year for the first time. I'm not sure how to say this properly, but no matter what level you are at, I wouldn't go there with the idea of winning. Of course you want them to do their best and you go there as prepared as you can be, but in the Junior Scholarship last year, there were 100 dancers and they go to 6 places in each of the 3 categories. Even if your daughter is really good, those aren't good odds. You really are going for the experience. My daughter loved getting her first choreography solo, and it was fun seeing all the other dancers she knows and also seeing some dancers that she knew by name only. The workshops are done by first rate teachers/judges so that is always good. Good luck with your decision.
By weturnout Comments: 32, member since Mon Apr 09, 2012
On Wed May 16, 2012 09:35 PM
We have been twice and do feel that this is geared more towards the premier level. The workshops are amazing if your dancer knows the steps/dances. All in all, it can be a costly event that, from our experience, a beginner dancer might not benefit from. Most dancers are at the premier level and the groups are large. I believe the junior category is 13 or 14, so depending on the age of your dancer you may want to wait. If you have a younger dancer, why rush through.
On Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 PM
Thank you all for your help with this!

You all have confirmed the idea of the event being more for the intermediate and premier dancers.

Justdoit, the teacher has no qualms about her going. I know that she tends to have 1 or 2 dancers selected every year, and some of them have been younger, "beginner" dancers. This year there were 5 dancers selected from her school!

GaelicWannabe, we are of the same mind!

HighlndSoccerMom, we appreciate your candor and were thinking that might be the case. The experience would be the key. But I'm not sure the cost of increased lessons and of the event are worth it. Sigh.

Weturnout, the Junior category is from 10-14 and our daughter is on the lower end of that range. I like the idea of not rushing it. Now to convince her that there's time yet! You are so right about the cost.

I'm not sure if any of you know, but this year's competition is being held in Miami for one day and then on a Royal Caribbean cruise for 3 nights. If only it was just at a "plain, old" hotel! lol Thanks again!
By justdoit Comments: 1282, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Thu May 17, 2012 01:25 PM
If you want to adopt the theory about "not rushing it" be sure to skip the theory exams until you are ready, because when she reaches Grade 4 she will have to do the Senior scholarship even if she is still under 14. The junior scholarship only covers theory through Grade 3.

Because it is a cruise this year, it is an expensive event just for "the experience!" If it were me, I would not do it for a beginner dancer...there are other good workshops. I think it would be intimidating...but I don't know your dancer--it might get her really jazzed! We too are trying to decide whether to go (it would be our 4th) but I am not sure about the cost.

Good luck whatever you decide!
On Thu May 17, 2012 01:39 PM
Thanks justdoit! Good luck in your decision making, too!

ReplySendWatch