Forum: Folk / Native American Dance

Native American Dance
Native word for dance?
By houndrfriendPremium member Comments: 636, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Sun May 20, 2012 05:43 AM

This is all very interesting about native Americans but I have blue eyes.However,maybe I can call myself a native.A descendant of european natives but born in Australia.Anyway,there seems to be folks here that know about different NA tribes.Can someone tell me what is the word for dance in some languages?also,the words for yes,yeah,no,place ,town,camp,man,woman,house,water,bread.food.hello,good morning.?I am curious about other languages and these words would be a good place to start.

4 Replies to Native word for dance?

re: Native word for dance?
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 AM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2012-05-20 10:44:08
Native American language and culture are not something you 'maybe call yourself.' It's disrespectful to call yourself a native unless you are, and many tribes wont accept you unless your parents were at least half-native. Basically, you often have to be at least a quarter native. If you are a descendant of Europeans like you say, you are not a Native American unless there was some mixing:

You shouldn't call yourself a Native, unless you ARE a Native. If you WERE a native, you'd know what tribe and language to research, and you'd know that this post is a little offensive.

I have Paiute Shoshone in me and I have light eyes- that is not an issue. But if you know nothing about Native Americans or even what tribe you're a part of, then you're not really in tune with the culture are ya? The tribes are often very different and there are MANY NA languages- if you're Native american, you should know what language would be that of you're ancestors and learn that- but also learn about the culture. Not all tribes are alike and lumping them all together (like the 'general' language inquiry here) is disrespectful in a way...disrespectful of the unique languages, beliefs, cultural differences and more.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-05-20 11:25:56
I think what he's getting at in a round about way is that we are all native to were we're born, not that he's trying to claim he's a Native American.

He does say in black and white that he's born in Australia of European descent.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun May 20, 2012 01:35 PM
Rotti, try Google Translate. It's not going to have indigenous languages, but it has the bulk of the Germanic and Romantic based languages. It is entertaining to see how a word changes from language to language.
By houndrfriendPremium member Comments: 636, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Mon May 21, 2012 06:12 AM
You seem to have explained it for me and I did not mean to be disrespectfull of anyone.I worked for the government once or should I say more than once and one place that I worked at had old records from about 1850 or whatever it was.The word native was used in a more general wider sense and on the records of people it would say "native of England" or "native of Ireland" or whatever.It meant native as in where you were born so a native of England was an anglosaxon that was born in England.Now,the word native is not usually used that way and is used as it is now such as "native Ameriacan Dance"I wonder what happened to my very very distant relatives that left scandinavia hundreds of years ago and went to America before Columbus.Or at least that is what how the saga goes.

ReplySendWatch