Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Wanted

Donations needed HELP?!
By ballerinababy96
On Thu May 24, 2012 06:54 PM

Hello,

I was just recenlty accepted to train at a very pretigious ballet school but I need money for pointe shoes and dance clothing!

Any donations will help!! please share with family and friends:) Thank you so much!

www.gofundme.com . . .

10 Replies to Donations needed HELP?!

re: Donations needed HELP?!
By ChopinianaGirl
On Thu May 24, 2012 08:03 PM
I know you just posted this but I wanted to give you few pointers so you can get a few more donations! First, people want to see what their donation is going to. I suggest putting a few videos or pictures of you dancing. Or maybe you could make a video every time someone donates and they can suggest a step for you to do? Anyway, good luck!
re: Donations needed HELP?! (karma: 1)
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 24, 2012 09:38 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2012-05-24 21:40:53
As dancers, we need to take a position of responsibility and leadership in this world. We need to use our art to improve the lives of others. I don't think it's healthy or appropriate for us, as dancers, to view ourselves as charitable causes. It just creates and perpetuates an entitlement attitude. Donations are for starving children, not for dancers looking to go to profitable, high-priced private schools complete with dormitories, meal plans and resident assistants.

As pointed out above, you have also failed to give relevant details. Did I read it right that you're looking for $800 for pointe shoes and clothing? This is a lot of money for incidentals, even at today's pointe shoe prices. Is this for a summer program or a year-round school year? How many pairs of pointe shoes do you think you will go through in it? Can you use fewer pointe shoes? Can you use the clothing you already have? Has the school provided any scholarship support already? If so, how much? What portion of the tuition do they expect you to pay? What school? Whenever you ask for money --- for your church, or your non-profit --- these are the kinds of questions you have to answer.

I am a big believer in supporting dance organizations, especially scholarship funds. And I have given far more than $800 of my own money to these causes. But I believe that the donations need to be made to trustworthy dance organizations committed to strengthening our communities through dance education. These organizations badly need our money. And then we need to let them identify scholarship recipients in a rational manner.
By madseasonPremium member
On Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 AM
To elaborate on what GreenPumpkin said:

It's YOUR responsibility to fund your education. If that means you get parents and family to help, or apply for grants and scholarship or do the old-fashioned thing and get a job, you do that. If worst comes to worst, go to a school that is within your means. Begging for money from strangers is, in my opinion, inappropriate. I funded my education (yes, even as a young dancer) by working, doing chores for neighbors, and applying for scholarships. When I went to college I paid everything out of my own pocket and worked two jobs. I didn't set up a website begging people to give me $20,000- and nor would I have. It's a lifeskill- you take responsibility for yourself. It's not realistic to expect people to 'donate' their hard-earned money towards you...not now, not in a year, not in five years. I think it's best you realize that today.

We don't know you, we don't know what program you want to attend, we don't know your budget or even your age. I worked for a major ballet company and helped with admitting students- in MANY cases there were flexible payment plans, lowered tuition for needy students and dance scholarships. Have you looked into these things? When I attended programs (not that long ago) I rarely ever bought new clothes- maybe a leo or two and some tights- $50 max. As an advanced dancer, I already had an appropriate wardrobe. I wore my shoes till they were dead and even still, I didn't need this kind of money.

I don't think begging strangers to donate to a non-essential thing like this is inappropriate. Also, you're not a 501C3- donations to you are not really tax-deductible and I don't donate to people/causes that are not non-profit.
By ChopinianaGirl
On Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 AM
I completely agree. My mom doesn't even make enough in one month to pay for my dance bills. I currently sew my own leotards and sell extras to other dancers in my area. While you may still take the donations, remember that there are others who may need it more than you.
By RosePremium member
On Fri May 25, 2012 08:35 AM
I checked your website and sorry dear, but this is not enough information. You can't just say 'give me money' without giving more information. You have to give details, not only about what you need the money for, but also how much money you put in yourself (so potential donators know you take your financial responsibility too). Plus, what do donators get in return for their gift? You can't just take without giving.

I understand now it's for a summer intensive. To me that is not enough reason to give money. Maybe a fulltime vocational school, but not this. And giving money for shoes and clothing neither are. Maybe I would consider giving money for housing and boarding, or travel expenses. But not personal needs. And $800 for shoes and clothing is way too much anyway. If you can't dress yourself cheaper, it sounds like you can't handle money well.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 AM
Agreed. I can't think of anyone that would donate their money with such little information, and I'm kind of put off by the no-effort pitch.
By ballerinababy96
On Fri May 25, 2012 06:50 PM
Hello everybody,

I am sorry to cause such an uproar I felt really embrassed putting thi up an so at first I didint feel comfortable telling everyone the whole story of why I can afford a ballet intensive. I am 15 and I have been dancing for 10 years, en pointe for 4 of those years. My mom has been battling cancer since januarary of this year. She told I would have to come up with the money on my own. Im doing everything I can, my family is not wealthy and my mom struggles to pay for ballet but I love it so much I can't give it up. I have very arched feet and my pointe shoes wear in one rehersal but I wear them as long as I can to save my mom money. I have 4 leotards so I constantly have to rewash them. I am not trying to take peoples money. I have been in bad situations where my mother didnt have gas money to me to ballet, because she had to go to chemo instead.. I have had a horrible year and ballet is my personal escape. The school I have been accepted to is the Miami City ballet School summer intensive. The money I am raising is for tuition and supplies. I am not soliciting, I understand that the econonmy is bad. I am just trying to fufill a dream of mine. It is embrassing to have to ask for help, and I really didnt want to, but ballet is everything to me. I feel like everyone is attacking me, when I put the ad up I wasnt finished. I apologize it if it came of snotty or rude. None of you know what I have gone through and what my everyday life is like, im sure you all have your own struggles and I respect that. I wear my pointe shoes as long as I can, I dont ask anyone for anything. I work my butt off to get scholarships, but I dont always get them. I work very hard, and some of your comments really hurt my feelings, and it made me re evaulat whether I should continue ballet at all
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri May 25, 2012 07:23 PM
None of us assumed to know you or your story. However, you shouldn't be hurt that people won't donate money to your original post, and you shouldn't be so hurt that you're reevaluating your entire career based on a few blunt comments online. Seriously, if you're going to pursue ballet, you're going into a harsh field...thickening your skin would only help you succeed.

So, thanks for more information, but don't feel victimized by this. Just try to take this into account when you find yourself in similar situations in the future.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 25, 2012 07:52 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2012-05-25 19:53:22
I work very hard, and some of your comments really hurt my feelings, and it made me re evaulat whether I should continue ballet at all

Really? How will you feel when the director yells at you during rehearsal? Will you cry and pout? Or will you suck it up? If you have such a thin skin because we're telling you that we need more info and tuition is your responsibility, then I'm sorry, but you'll never make it in the ballet world.

If you can't raise the money this year, some places will hire at age 15, work as much as you can and pay your own way. Ballet schools also like to see that.

If you're promising enough to attend Miami City Ballet's intensive, surely your dance school sees it. See if you can help in the younger classes, wrangling kids, being a teachers aid for a discount on your tuition or help with summer intensive tuition. If I ran a ballet school and had a VERY promising student in your situation, I'd do all I could to help him/her out. Even if it meant she/he would scrub the mirrors, wrangle kids in the lower classes, sew costumes, etc.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 25, 2012 08:36 PM
Our ballet school is fairly unique in that its financial aid is strictly need-based. Meaning... if you have a need and you are willing to put in the time to study ballet, then the school will find a way to make it happen.

Many ballet schools see their purpose as training the next generation of entry-level hires for ballet companies. We graduate our share of professional dancers, but we conscientiously reject that definition for ourselves. We expressly do NOT evaluate students' talent or professional prospects in scholarship decisions because we believe that the value of a dance education comes in the process of studying dance itself. And we believe that opportunity should be made available to everybody, not just to those who are privileged either in money or talent. But in case you're wondering... it is NOT about the prestige. We have no need for prestige in our school or company. It is about our community, and the people who make up that community.

So you aren't rich? Join the club! Fully 1/3 of our students are on scholarships, funded in part by foundations such as the Rowell Fund and the New Balance Foundation. You think you're the only one with problems? Look around! Kids in our program come from all kinds of backgrounds, and have all sorts of problems. For many of us, studying dance provides the strength to approach our problems in a healthy manner. Here are just a couple of examples:

www.wickedlocal.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .

So yes... if your story is true, then I would definitely want to see you get help to continue to study ballet. But these things happen in community. Any ballet school with even half a shred of decency would try to cut you a break here. But THEY are the ones who need to do it --- the community that knows you, and sees you everyday, and forms your extended family. We are not that community here on DDN. We have no idea who you are, or what's going on, or if even a single word of what you say is true. And even if we're foolish enough to give money to an individual (rather than a non-profit org) in such a situation, we will still be incapable of giving you want you really need: a supportive dance community where you can grow as a person and an artist.

So please for your sake... find that dance community, join it, and take it where it leads you. You are facing some incredibly serious life issues, and you will need all the strength that such a community can provide. In the end, you may discover that this strength turns out to be far more important in your life than the opportunity --- if you're "lucky" --- to dance for a prestigious ballet company famous for treating its dancers like c**p (as many of them are).

If there are really no suitable dance communities that you have access to, then I'm very sorry to say that dance might not be your thing at this point in life. You will serve yourself well to explore other areas of growth and community.

ReplySendWatch