Popular Ballet

Audition Pictures by PointeStudent
Soon it's going to be time to take audition pictures for SI. Is there any place to take good quality dance pictures around the Philly/NJ area? For not too expensive.

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Cleaning Marley floor en>fr fr>en
By pnealey Comments: 63, member since Mon Jul 25, 2011
On Fri May 25, 2012 04:55 PM

I have a grey marley floor and it has so many scuffs, and it looks dirty all the time. I have tried vingar and water & even the Mr. Clean it white bleach block. Not sure what else to do, because none of those work..Any ideas?

9 Replies to Cleaning Marley floor

re: Cleaning Marley floor en>fr fr>en
By cmdc Comments: 3084, member since Sat Jun 02, 2007
On Fri May 25, 2012 05:00 PM
Contact your distributor to see what they say. I have harlequin and they recommend a neutral ph cleaner, so weekly I dry mop, and with a big mop mix up the neutral ph cleaner with water.

They also recommended I get a floor buffer and use the white pad which is the least abrasive and buff the floor. I would really recommend hiring that out as I tried doing that myself and killed my back and arms. I'm quite puny.
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Sun May 27, 2012 01:01 AM
I have a white vinyl composite tile floor in my studio storefront, provided by my landlord. I tried everything but couldn't remove the black ground in metal scuffs from tap shoes. Now we lay temporary luan tap boards down, to minimize these stains, although the kids can't stay confined to them. So about every two months, I use a small commercial Oreck rotating scrubber that I purchased on sale for several hundred dollars.

I still have to use Mr. Clean Extra Eraser pads under the scrub head. Then I would have to mop the floor, which was very tedious and time-consuming. I've since switched to the Swiffer Wet Mop (although its soap solution is pricey) but I no longer need a bucket that keeps needing to be carried/emptied. I just toss the cleaning pads; saves my hands from mop-wringing too. Of course, if I could afford it, I would have hired a cleaning service ;~)
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sun May 27, 2012 03:29 AM
I've got results with turpentine. Benzene too. But it is hard labour :), you really have to sit down and rub.
By pnealey Comments: 63, member since Mon Jul 25, 2011
On Mon May 28, 2012 06:50 AM
Where do I purchase turpintine?
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Mon May 28, 2012 07:46 AM
^^^ I would not recommend using turpentine (paint stores carry still?) or benzene, as there are toxic fumes if you do a whole floor; it would be OK if you only had a few bad spots to clean. I think they might also be highly flammable, and a room full of fumes can explode.

Based on others' advice here, I previously tried unsuccessfully:

Steam mop
GooGone
Cleanser
Spic-n-Span (even undiluted, right out of the bottle)
PineSol

StageStep carries a whole line of their own brand of marley floor cleaners, but very expensive, and I doubt that they would work on rubbed in metal stains. I tried their tap shoe metal coating, and it didn't work at all, so they lost my business!

I'm older, and only five feet tall, so I still think the small Oreck Orbiter is the best solution to clean an entire floor, with the damp Mr. Clean extra-Erasers under its scouring pad. Then to mop up the residue quickly, Swiffer Wet Jet.

By partially covering the floor with "tap boards" I only have to scour every 2-3 months, and it takes me 3 hours to do my 800 square feet, thoroughly.
By lulubellePremium member Comments: 162, member since Tue May 01, 2007
On Thu May 31, 2012 10:50 PM
we have used only the products sold by Stagestep..for use on our floors purchased from them..it really pays off, to use their products. as our floors are passed their prime..and still look great...when you have a big investment in any thing, for the studio,...you really have to budget, to keep them in tip-top condition..or be ready to face the consequences of buying a new floor, much before you really needed to!...I know that sounds extravagrant...but, without a good floor, you are facing liabilities, and just looking un-professional!
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 07:43 PM
Do you have white sneakers? Rub out the marks with your shoes or an eraser. My cleaning lady used to bring her daughter to clean and they wore white sneakers and that's how they got out the marks.
By YOGADANCERPremium member Comments: 247, member since Wed Jun 07, 2006
On Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:18 PM
Goo Gone and denatured alcohol. We learned the hard way and only use tan jazz shoes.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 PM
Edited by Dream_chaser (11405) on 2012-06-04 12:50:22
YOGADANCER wrote:

Goo Gone and denatured alcohol. We learned the hard way and only use tan jazz shoes.

We had black marley on some floors and the tan jazz shoes left marks, too. LOL

ReplySendWatch