Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Tips to re-strengthen ankles for rocks???
By Irishdancer189member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 27, 2012 07:21 PM

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me!

I have sprained (badly) my right ankle about five times, with numerous little tweaks between. I do my therapy until it is healed and I know I should start doing the therapy daily as well to help. Unfortunately my orthopedic surgeon says that my ligaments are permanently stretched out more than normal and the only fix is re-attachment surgery, which will leave me out of dance for another 6 months which I can't do to myself again.

My issue is that in order to properly do rocks in softshoe, I have to "roll" my ankle more than I like. It ends up swelling slightly by the time im done dancing. I have no problems with this in hardshoes, I'm assuming because there is more support.

Is there anything I can do to help my ankle not swell after doing rocks? Or should I just ask my TC to take them out?

6 Replies to Tips to re-strengthen ankles for rocks???

re: Tips to re-strengthen ankles for rocks???
By Sorcha1
On Sun Jun 03, 2012 09:55 AM
In my opinion, I would ask your TC to take them out. Especially since your doctor said the only way to really fix it is with surgery. I think doing rocks may make your prone to more injury and damage, which will put you further behind with dance (than if you had surgery). In my opinion, it's usually better to completely heal before getting back into dance hard-core, otherwise you run the risk of worse injury.
Have you talked with your doctor about doing them and if they'd be risky? He would know best.
good luck!
By SDmaid
On Mon Jun 04, 2012 02:27 PM
I would stop doing them until you strengthen. Try using a bosu. Its like a ball cut in half. I have my dd stand on it and balance with the ball side up while she watches TV. Very small adjustments for core and ankles. Won't over-stress, but does build up.
By xoc
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 07:34 PM
I would ask your TC to remove the rocks. Rocks can be dangerous to do even without an ankle issue. It seems that you are risking your ankle's healing by doing rocks and that you might be out even more than 6 months if you continue doing rocks.
By irishdanceJ51
On Thu Jul 26, 2012 07:07 PM
To strengthen your ankles you could try writing the alphabet with each foot in the air. One foot at a time, first upper case letters then lower case letters.
By Sparkle111
On Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 PM
Practice the Rocks holding on to the backs of 2 chairs, works every time!
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 23, 2012 02:41 AM
If your ankle swells every time you do rocks now, this is a very bad idea. Do NOT practice on the back of a chair, because you will continue to stretch those ligaments and make the problem worse.

ReplySendWatch