Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
Buying a car, on my own!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon May 28, 2012 07:39 PM
Edited by tassiemum (158209) on 2012-05-28 19:39:52 Less is more, punctuation.

It's a bit sad, I know to be excited about this milestone at my age, but my dad is overseas on a cruise so I've had to 'step up' as it were and handle this (mostly) myself. I will have a relative with me when I hand over the cash, just as a bit of security.

I have done the security search and organised an insurance cover note and I have a check list of things I need to sight/have signed before I give the vendor the money.

So, yeah, I'm excited! Oh, it's a Peugeot 308.

6 Replies to Buying a car, on my own!

re: Buying a car, on my own!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon May 28, 2012 11:20 PM
A milestone to be sure. I helped my daughter buy her first car and found my son's first car from a guy at work. Prior to that, they had used the cars I kept for them to use in college and for summer jobs and starting in their own jobs after college. They've done every one since then.

It just occurred to me though that my dear wife has never negotiated buying a car on her own. We have gone together for every car we have bought regardless of which one of us was the intended user (we've always had at least two cars since she returned to work after our kids were born.) We are now on our 16th and 17th cars and we have done this jointly except for the first one I had while she still was in college.

Jon
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Tue May 29, 2012 01:33 AM

This is car number 5 for me. Mazda, Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai and now Peugeot. And it's a 407, not a 408.

Here's a pic of one like mine, but not mine. :)
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 03:26 AM
Cool!
My current car (car #3) was the first car I bought all on my own. I didn't bring anyone, just went out to visit dealerships, did all the test-drives, and then I was offered such a good deal for one car that I ended up buying it on the spot (well, ordering it since it was a brandnew car). Then, when I'd left the dealership, I totally freaked out LOL. I mean, I'd never spent that much money in my life! So I talked to my mom on the phone and calmed down. I felt ridiculously proud of myself ... ;)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 03:47 AM
I've never bought a car. Tim currently gets two company cars so Susan has been provided on a loan basis for all the time I've been driving, and for almost a year before I passed my test (we practised driving in her and lent her to visiting family etc). However he's changing jobs soon and will then only get one company car, so we'll have to buy one for me. I would like it to be a Susan again and it's practically the same car scheme so I can get her at a discount but still - urgh, insurance, tax, MOT! Not things I have ever had to worry about before!
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 04:14 AM
Well done, Tassiemum! That's a nice car!

I drove hand-me-down cars from my parents from age 16, then bought my first new car at age 23. Handled everything by myself from negotations to insurance. I wanted a stick shift but I'd only learned to drive on an automatic, so I told the Datsun (now Nissan) salesman if he taught me to drive stick I'd buy a car. He did and I did. Drove it home a few days later, 20 miles in rush hour traffic in the rain. I loved that car and drove it for years until I married a man with two BMWs, so we sold my car. For many years he'd buy a new Beemer every few years and I'd get his previous one. In 2003 I bought myself a Toyota Camry, which I absolutely love and am still driving it.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 05:36 AM
I've never bought one completely by myself. My first car was my parents' car that they sold to me. Second car was one they bought for me after my first car got totaled. Third car was another one that was theirs that they sold to me. Fourth car was brand new, but my dad did most of the negotiations for me. And my most recent car was bought with the help of my husband. I just felt too nervous about possibly being taken advantage of, so I asked him to come with me. I also wanted him to do the test drive with me, since his knowledge of cars is vastly superior to mine. Maybe next time I'll give it a shot by myself, although right now I'm hoping there won't be a "next time" anytime soon! I'm only 30, and I'm on my fifth car!!

ReplySendWatch