Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Life Support? If you had to make this awful decision, which would you choose?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 06:22 AM
My aunt went onto life support after she had her brain haemorrhage earlier this year. It kept her 'alive' for long enough that her immediate family could travel over 300 miles to see her before she died. It was also essential to keep her organs alive so that she was able to donate her heart tissue and various other organs to others to help them.

Working where I do I often see death dragged out and prolonged. I would never choose for myself or any of my family to be on life support, nor would I want them resucitated if they didn't have a chance of surviving it. My Dad went through it once when he had his heart attack aged 57 and it broke his ribs and caused a lot of pain. Thankfully at that time he was relatively young and healthy but I don't think I would want him to go through it again.

We recently had a lady on the ward - aged in her 80's - who had a heart attack and we brought her back. The nursing staff, doctors and other patients suffered for the next 6 months when she was in and out of hospital as she was not happy about being brought back and it had caused her a lot of pain. Her life was significantly changed by the event and she had a poor quality of life afterwards. She came back to us 2 nights ago, wasn't acutely ill, took her oxygen off and died peacefully in her sleep.

Life isn't about not being able to do things or being there for someone else to hold your hand and wipe your bum. It is about living and completing the activities of daily living. Not just being a vegetable.
re: Life Support? If you had to make this awful decision, which would you choose?
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 PM
Your poll questions are too few. For me, I would consent to life support if it is for a short period of time (like a week) and I am going to heal. if it was a long term veggitable thing, then pull the plug.
As long as my brain would still be there, I'd live with physical disabilities, but I don't want to finish my "life" as a lump on a bed for muliple years.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 AM
I've let my family know that I have no desire to be kept alive artificially, but given them the full power to decide.

I watched my parents outlive their son, and it changed my entire perspective. They were not ready, and I'm not saying that anyone is ready to lose a kid, but if something happens to me and I'm at the point where I am a vegetable and it probably doesnt matter either way, I want them to have the time they need to come to terms with it. If that means they wish to keep my plugged in until they are ready, then so be it.

I doubt they would, but I always thought that I'd like to give them that if they felt they needed it.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch