Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Disco - 18+
plus size girls and disco dancing
By Ex_discodancer Comments: 106, member since Sun Feb 26, 2012
On Wed Jun 06, 2012 04:42 AM

Hi everyone long time no post ,ive been crazy busy with tons of bits and pieces but im back hurrah!

ok so as a few of you know im not exactly the slimmest girl in the adult sections at comps . im a large bust and small waist and massive legs kinda girl

however when i go to comp i kinda feel outta place as everyone is so slim and slender and i feel like a right blody flump

do any other plus size (size 14/16) dancers feel that way or am i just being stupid .

also trying to search for a costume for a bigger dancer is a nightmare too ,ive been trawling the net for weeks now and still havent found anything half decent and i have comp on sunday!!

let me know your thoughts would be intresting to see it from a another perspective

xx

24 Replies to plus size girls and disco dancing

re: plus size girls and disco dancing
By fairyfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2821, member since Sat Jul 05, 2003
On Sun Jun 10, 2012 01:48 PM
To be perfectly honest I don't think size matters at all. I have some friends that aren't a size 6 or 8. And they are amazing dancers!! Dancing comes from the heart and no matter what size you are if your doing your best and putting everything you got into your dance then people will enjoy to watch you.
Keep dancing and smiling
Love lala xxx
On Sun Jun 10, 2012 02:26 PM
Evening Lala , thanks for the comments yeah but after todays comp i cant help but think being big has its dis-advantages as i cant do as many moves as others can or jump as high or quick :(

oh well im just gonna keep on dancing regardless , hopefully the dancing will get me slim xxx
By Steph_K Comments: 32, member since Tue Jun 12, 2007
On Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 PM
hey!
Keep dancing and never give up on your dreams!
i was a plus size dancer untill i had to give it up due to injuries.
i also have if your interested a plus size costume for sale its a starter one but can be easly be stoned if needed to, only been worn twice

Steph xxxx
By dancer_babe2K4 Comments: 1084, member since Sat Mar 27, 2004
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 AM
hiya =) I felt the same when i first started comps but then when i became more comfortable with my routine and the atmosphere ect. i felt so much better. I have a suit for sale that should fit you =) only selling due to retirement xxxx
By Chickadee1992 Comments: 65, member since Sun Sep 20, 2009
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 01:30 PM
I was the same when I started dancing and was paranoid about everybody else being slimmer which put me off doing slow but I gained confidence through fast and do slow aswell. But I agree the costume finding is a nightmare !
By kizzy615member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 468, member since Sat Dec 27, 2003
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 PM
keep on dancing chick my daughter is plus size and gets on the floor she does solo but hates it because of the skin tight beginner cozzie but she loves her slow, I made my daughters cozzie for slow didn't turn out bad at all.keep your chin up n dance your heart out it is good 2 c bigger girls on the floor. no offence to any1.good luck for the future x
By kizzy615member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 468, member since Sat Dec 27, 2003
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 PM
keep on dancing chick my daughter is plus size and gets on the floor she does solo but hates it because of the skin tight beginner cozzie but she loves her slow, I made my daughters cozzie for slow didn't turn out bad at all.keep your chin up n dance your heart out it is good 2 c bigger girls on the floor. no offence to any1.good luck for the future x
On Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:30 AM
Hi Kizzy ,thanks for the kind words , it is quite disheartening seeing alot of skinny/tight/skimpy outfits on the floor , especially when your a bigger dancer. i always feel like my costume isnt good enough , then my confidence drops and then my routine is affected . Its quite hard finding costumes that actually flatter let alone fit us bigger girls (im quite large busted 36hh)and having something made is always a touchy subject as i think what if i move up a section .

for now im just hoping to stay in starters and then stone my starter outfit once i find something /make something suitable xxx
By gagster Comments: 488, member since Sat Sep 10, 2011
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 05:49 AM
Hi.
Dont worry about your size,just enjoy the dancing.
Your confidence will grow and grow and then you wont even think about it.
Good luck for the future.
By Thedancingduomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 165, member since Mon Oct 10, 2011
On Wed Jul 04, 2012 07:41 PM
Size shouldn't matter if you love the dancing xx
By IconDanceAcademy Comments: 1302, member since Wed Jun 27, 2007
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 AM
I don't think size has anything to do with ability to be honest. If you practice something enough you will master it, regardless of age or size.

Keep going!!
By emmas027member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 114, member since Tue May 15, 2007
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 08:51 PM
hey hon,
i've been a plus size dancer for years now. We dance ISTD, so when I started it wasn't so flexibilty/ leap based, but now I'm finding it hard too being the bigger girl.
At the end of the day, dance is what I love, and nothing is going to stop me doing that.
Costume wise, I had a costume made, I hated it, I felt stupid and ridiculous. I jung out in all the right places and looked stupid. But now I wear a simple black lace leotard which I stoned myself and added fringing. I wear it with plain nude tights which hold everything in and I feel great out on the floor.
Being short and a bit bigger has held me back a bit in terms of results and fitness, but I've never let it affect the way I feel about dance, keep your chin up and dance your heart out on the floor and nothing else matters :)

much love
Emma xx
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 PM
Hi Emma , yeah i know how you feel huni , im making my own outfit as we speak and stoning/fringing it with plenty of exotic trim and bits to make it stand out .

it is hard , especially when trying to push yourself harder and to go higher but im a excellent spinner and my switches are first class so i use them to my advantage .

its so nice to know im not alone in the adfp world and that others have the same issues as me xxx
By Lou_n_KittenPremium member Comments: 3324, member since Fri Aug 08, 2008
On Fri Jul 06, 2012 07:37 AM
Hiya

My eldest daughter wasn't always tiny and was quite busty from an early age.
This never stopped her. I always found it hard to get outfits of Ddn etc. so always made hers for her. But to be fair that always meant she had an outfit no-one had worn before! My daughter trained hard and overcome her confidence issues and always loved dancing. Size can also work in your favour. The thinner more lighter dancer can't always look as powerful as dancers such as yourselves! Use your weight to your advantage! My daughter did and she had speed and power in her runs n jumps. Yes she wasn't as flexible but it never stopped her. A true dancer dances from the heart and uses all their resources to thier advantage.

Good luck with your dancing and just beleive in yourself

Karren.
By Abzmum Comments: 28, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 04:11 PM
I would never think that size would matter! I have many friends that's are a tiny bit over weight but I think you should carry on dancing and follow your dreams xxx most of my good friends have a bit of flub but many people do it should never matter!!!! xxx Abi xxx
By Abzmum Comments: 28, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 04:12 PM
I would never think that size would matter! I have many friends that's are a tiny bit over weight but I think you should carry on dancing and follow your dreams xxx most of my good friends have a bit of flub but many people do it should never matter!!!! xxx Abi xxx
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 05:36 PM
Hi ladies , thankyou for all your wonderful and lovely replies , i will keep on dancing no matter what and i will never give in for anything or anyone even lol

yeah its hard and frustating too when everyone on the floor is in skin tight all in ones and there swimming in gems but still i know its not my outfit (all though it helps ) its my attitude , routine and confidence and ive got bags of that

im currently ill in hospital with a spine injury but i will be training asap for the DKKQ qualifers in manchester which im excited to death about .

but thankyou once again for your kind words they mean alot
keep on dancing and massive hugs

Nellie xxx
By freestylequeen Comments: 2244, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 02:24 PM
i felt exactly the same!! It doesnt matter what other people think!! you are you!! and your unique!! Be happy in your own body! xx
By twinkletoes08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2082, member since Tue Feb 18, 2003
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:47 AM
Firstly, you are definitely NOT plus size! 14/16 is the most common size nowadays!
Don't worry about other people's opinions of you. You love to dance and thats all that matters. Size doesn't define you as a person or define how good a dancer you are!

Enjoy your dancing, you beautiful lady! x
By danceOFFdemi Comments: 42, member since Sun Apr 29, 2012
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 AM
dont woory about your size!!!

its not about your size its about your dancing!!

i wouldnt worry about it, if i were you i would just carry on dancing and blank out what every one else thinks

good luck t you in futre comps <3
By majicdancer Comments: 1069, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Tue Aug 14, 2012 07:53 AM
heya hun,

Im size 14/16 and I hate it no matter what i try I seem to loose weight but dont look any different.

Its also harder as I live with my boyfriend now and fruit, veg and healthy meals are alot more expensive than 97p ready meals.

I have always bought costumes on dance net as cant afford them new but I have altered them all myself making new accesories and bits to make them more modern and expanding them to fit alot lol.

I think im starting to slow down alot now and im retiring in october but i've always been this size and when i was in my prime shall we say lol I did just as well as the slimmer girls. I dance in adult champs so dont give up hope just work hard babes.

AND SMILE <3 xx
By GlitzAgain Comments: 22, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 02:35 AM
Work it girl! Plus size is no better or worse than any one else. We are ALL equal in Gods eyes! God Bless
By discole01member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Tue Feb 06, 2007
On Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:17 AM
DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR SIZE!

Good for you getting out on the floor to dance and as long as you enjoy it then that's all that matters! :)

I was at a competition once and there was a heavier girl on the floor, although she was slightly bigger she was an amazing dancer and deserved to win! However she got beat by someone slimmer in her section. This showed that the judges went on looks and not dancing! In my opinion that was completely wrong!

Keep going at it and your confidence will build over time!

Nicole
xx
By emma_jaynemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7956, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Sat Oct 20, 2012 06:44 PM
Do not be put off by your size hun.
When I was about 19/20 I was about a size 16-18. I agree that getting a suit can be a bit of a nightmare, but I designed a starter suit and got it made, then stoned it up myself when I got into inters. Then when the suit got too big for me I stripped it down and am STILL reusing the stones now!

It's your confidence that shines through on the floor, you have to learn to be comfortable with yourself and when that happens, you'll notice a huge difference in the way that you dance and the results that you get.

xxx

ReplySendWatch