Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Could any dancers help me figure out how to do this move?
By dancingsmiles411
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 AM

I'm going to try to describe it! So you'd be laying on the ground on your back, and it's a way to stand up. your knees are bent, feet flat on the ground, then you would stand up, arching your back, hands above your head. Does that make sense? Laying down, knees bent, arms on ground above head, then pull up to stand...How would you do this?! And what muscles should i work on

thanks so much!

6 Replies to Could any dancers help me figure out how to do this move?

re: Could any dancers help me figure out how to do this move?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 AM
Edited by AlwaysOnStage (90901) on 2012-06-07 10:56:12
That sounds like a bridge to standing, a basic gymnastics skill. Does it look like this? (on flat ground instead of a wedge mat)

www.youtube.com . . .

If so, then you need to work on your bridge and backbend first, then the core strength and balance to stand from that positions. Here's a sample video on stretching for bridges: www.youtube.com . . .

This skill, in gymnastics, leads to related skills such as:

-bridge kickover www.youtube.com . . .
-backbend kickover (walkover) www.youtube.com . . . (1:55)
-handstand bridge stand (walkover) www.youtube.com . . .
By dancingsmiles411
On Fri Jun 08, 2012 08:59 PM
thanks, but the difference would be you leave your palms facing up (basically, your arms are just along for the ride :) they dont do the work)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:50 AM
In order for that to be possible, you'd have to have an extremely flexible back--basically, enough to fold yourself in half backwards. If you don't have that, then your center of gravity is way to far back to be able to do that without using your hands to support you. I would suggest that bridge stand up is a good first step to gaining that kind of flexibility.
By hummingbird
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 08:30 AM
It does sound a bit impossible. If it's not do you have a youtube clip that will show it to us?
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 09:08 AM
I've seen it done where the arms are down at the sides or crossed over the chest in front and then the body is contracted inward (feet are still on the floor) and then the arms are swung quickly up the sides of the body and over head at the same time as the body is arched. The knees are thrown forward at the same time as the arms reach overhead and the shoulder points are used as leverage to push off the floor. But wow talk about hard on the body!
By X_DancerGirlie_X
On Sun Jun 17, 2012 03:06 PM
Edited by X_DancerGirlie_X (215669) on 2012-06-17 15:12:28
I don't actually know what the move is called but a lot people in Disco/Freestyle do it and I taught myself how to do them.

As AlwaysOnStage said you need enough back flexibility to do this but you don't necessarily need to be able to 'bend in half' Though the closer your hands are to your feet in a bridge the easier it will be. Another factor is core strength. Without very good core strength you're find this move very difficult.

First start off laying on your back with knees bent about shoulders width apart. You can either have you arms by your side, crossed on your chest or on the floor above head. Starting out you should probably start with arms above the head just in case you need to catch yourself or assist yourself getting up the first few time. Next you push your hips forward and off the ground, making sure to engage your core. Your knees should start going over your toes and your shoulders start leaving the floor. You should be going forward and up not just up. At this point you really need to push, use your core and arch your back to stop yourself from dropping back down. Keep doing this till you're all the way up. Its should feel like a string it attached to your stomach pulling you forward and up. Its helps to look at your hand while doing this so your head's the last the thing to come up. It takes lot of practice and strength to do this move smoothly, so keep practicing and do lots of core strengthening.

ReplySendWatch