Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
young driver
By d8ncr00 Comments: 24, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 PM

Going to be very nervous when my young one learns to drive. I know we have to let them fly. . .it hurts.

2 Replies to young driver

re: young driver
By aulirish Comments: 33, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 03:24 AM
Yes it does hurt! And when my little one started driving I cried quite a bit (but only in the shower so she wouldn't know! :P ) but hopefully you will begin to have a brand new relationship with your young one. Good luck!
re: young driver
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 02:33 PM
Since my two kids (now married and in their mid-40's) are less than a year apart, this happened quite suddenly for us. We gave them every encouragement to drive. We also kept an older car for their use [hint: for insurance purposes list the oldest car with them as principal driver...much cheaper that way.] While our kids had a certain degree of independence that comes with driving, we emphasized to them that a car is a means of getting from point A to point B. It isn't a status symbol, it isn't a sex symbol. It wasn't there for the purpose of showing off a school. You can still take the school bus unless there is a reason to go by car (and there eventually was...my daughter went to the local community college while she was in high school and also was in a work-study program.) My kids had the benefit of a "built-in" summer job. Their aunt married into a family with a supermarket in resort country in another state, 1000 miles away. We let them take the older car there. They learned navigation, big city driving (though we live near a major city anyway), and of course gained work experience and some money. (They could stay at their aunt's house for free.)

Eventually they went to college in that state and by happenstance both went to the same university. They shared a car on that campus (but walked to classes.) They also lived in an apartment together.

Driving is but one more step in the maturation process. It is also an essential skill for most people. I think we did pretty well by our kids, both are very prudent drivers. They either had income or during the school year an allowance - we deliberately limited the amount of time they could work during the school year. They likewise had an allowance for their college apartment (a condo I purchased as an investment and still own) and had to manage that money, manage the income we received from the two other kids who lived in the condo. They paid the mortgage, the utility bills from that income and the allowance. Both kids have over the years been quite financially successful.

So don't cry over this. Help them to become adults through this.

Like many other things in parenting, consider this a "teachable moment."

Jon

ReplySendWatch