Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

First Prelim Feis Advice
By sccr_and_irish
On Sun Jun 10, 2012 04:06 PM

I have my first prelim feis in six days (GAH!!) Does anyone have any general advice regarding dancing and the competition aspect? ANY advice will be much appreciated!

10 Replies to First Prelim Feis Advice

re: First Prelim Feis Advice (karma: 2)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 10, 2012 05:25 PM
DDN to the rescue!! There are a lot of threads out there with helpful info :)

First time in prelims thread:
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

Advice for what it might take to get out of prelims (good to know going in!)
www.dance.net . . .

Finishing touches for any dancer, but will help with your stage presence, etc:
www.dance.net . . .

More first prelim feis advice
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

To help you figure out when you dance (once they get the stage schedule up!)
www.dance.net . . .

Stories from dancers first prelim feiseanna:
www.dance.net . . .

Best of luck to you this weekend!!
re: First Prelim Feis Advice
By sccr_and_irish
On Sun Jun 10, 2012 06:03 PM
Thank you SO much Mrs. Joy!!
re: First Prelim Feis Advice (karma: 1)
By edwards16
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 AM
Just make sure you eat/drink firstly then its jest making sure you are well prepared, know your steps inside out, make-up/hair/wig/shoes and dress all checked and double checked and oh yes and of course be confident. That is a must!
re: First Prelim Feis Advice (karma: 1)
By claireck
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 AM
Congrats on moving up! Just stay relaxed, and make sure to warm up completely. And most of all have fun- it makes for great stage presence and a great day :) good luck!
re: First Prelim Feis Advice (karma: 2)
By FeismusicianPremium member
On Tue Jun 12, 2012 07:37 AM
Hi, sccr_and_irish,
Try practicing your starts, especially for slip jigs. You've spent your dancing life so far usually starting by watching the steps of the dancers in front of you and knowing when they're going to end, often with the music out of synch because someone in the line didn't start on time! With slip jigs, which often have three parts, you were always dancing to 4 parts (now you're dancing to 5), so the music, while in time, was always out of synch regarding the structure of the tune. Start at the beginning of the track you're listening to, then when you're done, go back to the beginning - don't just keep dancing to the music regardless of where it's playing in the track - I see kids doing that all the time. Or worse, running through steps with no music, which they're invariably doing much faster than the actual tempo they'll be dancing to.

NEVER watch the dancer next to you to know when to start - they're probably watching you!!

And, NEVER EVER EVER walk off the stage after your round and throw up on the musician!!!!

I have once-through champ-length tunes on iTunes (Champtrax - the ones with "1X next to the tune type) which will start and end where your steps do.

Best of luck at your first PC feis!
By Eirebelle
On Tue Jun 12, 2012 09:54 AM
DO NOT try and change your steps around within a week or so of the feis. Especially not on the plane ride over :) That's a bad habit of mine, it ruined my first PC. haha
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 12, 2012 09:58 AM
Feismusician wrote:

And, NEVER EVER EVER walk off the stage after your round and throw up on the musician!!!!

Wait, has this happened to you before :O ?
By FeismusicianPremium member
On Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 AM
Numerous times! I've gotten hit directly, and my fiddle case has also taken a the hit. I think it's much more useful to go up to the front of the stage and throw up on the judges' table. Talk about leaving an impression!
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 AM
That's unfortunate :P
By irishdanceJ51
On Thu Jul 26, 2012 07:13 PM
I always like to ask the dancers I dance with which direction their lead step starts so we make sure not to hit each other and I have found this very helpful.

ReplySendWatch