Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Shoe Type Recommendations
By DarnIt
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 09:37 AM

Hi, new to the forum but I am after shoe advise please!

My daughter is a keen dancer and now her feet have stopped growing I see a good pair of tap shoes an investment - we spend hours sourcing the perfect pointe shoe, why not a tap shoe!

She has always warn Blochs but she is quite a light tapper and I am after taps which will give her a lovely rich sound - she has the skills now after some good equipment :). She is Intermediate/Advanced level and wearing split soles at the moment.

Have done some searching and the B&M look amazing but she is a little conservative in her colour schemes! Can anyone tell me what the So Danca, or Leo Ultima are like,with reards to comfort, fit and sound? She dances in a small company as well and I think would have to stay with a low oxford style shoe to blend in.

Thanks for any help - wanting to avoid costly mistakes. She likes her Bloch Audeo's but they leather is so soft the back seem to breakdown and I think she needs something a little more 'designed for the job'.

Any advise / recommendations much appreciated :)

10 Replies to Shoe Type Recommendations

re: Shoe Type Recommendations
By TheCoachmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 04:28 PM
I just got a new pair of capezio tap shoes and they are flexible for toe stands. I think it's cool your daughter wants to try it. And I teach kids to tap on things with the floor.

Coach
By Sumayah
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 07:45 PM
I want a pair of Miller & Ben's so badly. But here, most of the advanced/pro tappers get the Capezio K360 with a double or triple build up and tele-tone taps with sound boards. Some like the stage rubber and some don't. I have M60's which Capezio doesn't seem to make anymore and they're duct taped together, so I'm in the market for new shoes soon myself. I know there's some debate, but generally here where I live among the pros and serious tappers, everyone *HATES*HATES*HATES* split-sole tap shoes. So please consult your teacher if she thinks she might want them because for my tappers my advice would be absolutely not.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 09:56 PM
I have Miller and Ben. You can get them in plain black. You don't have to get the fancy colors.

As Sumayah said K360's are popular. Capezio CG09's sound good. I would definitely go for a full sole shoe.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 PM
The So Danca's are awful in my opinion. yuck yuck yucky sound. Everyone I know says Miller and Ben's take forever to break in, and they are really heavy shoes. It's a big jump from what your daughter is wearing to go into those.

I have to say I agree with the K360 recommendation, but honestly their manufacturing got moved years ago and they have never been the best quality.

Another shoe you might want to look into since she likes Blochs is the Jason Samuel's Smith shoe that is distributed by Bloch. www.blochworld.com . . .
I know someone in a show that was wearing them and they liked them better than the Miller and Bens and the sound was nice.
By DarnIt
On Wed Jun 20, 2012 09:53 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions - I am not keen on the split sole so will not be purchasing those again!

I love the Jason Samuels shoes - seen clips on you tube and they sound good, I can see my daughters reaction though as they look a little masculine!

I think perhaps the CG09's look a good idea - will take your recommendation that the sound is good too! How does the one screw tuning work?

Thanks again,
By DarnIt
On Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:04 PM
Sorry - one more suggestion for you to review/comment please!!

What about the CG55's she likes the look of these :)

I used to think pointe shoes were a minefield!
By Lisa05
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 07:04 PM
I now own several pairs of Miller and Ben's, a Sansha shoe and Capezio CG09's. I have a pair of J-Sams on order as well right now.

I agree with the above that most serious tappers, do not wear split sole shoes. Also, most tappers that I know do prefer no rubber grippers on their shoes. You just can't perform slides with rubber grippers on the shoe.

My critique on the shoe brands: Love my Miller and Bens. The company I dance with performs some dances that the choreographer required us to wear heels so I have two pairs of Miller and Ben t-strap. I love them. They are a higher heel than a standard capezio heel tap shoe but they are a solid, real tap shoe, not a character shoe that had taps thrown on. Some of the girls who didn't want to put the money out on the Miller and Ben heels ended up breaking off the heel on their less expensive shoes because they couldn't support the style of dance. The higher heel really takes some practice to get the sounds out. I also have a pair of the triple threat. The triple sole is too heavy for me but they are a good shoe.

My Capezio CG09's are the old shoe and I was highly dissapointed in the updated shoe. I can't stand it. The Capezio K-360 however was designed by Dianne Walker and although I haven't tried it yet, have heard decent reviews.

I do like the J-Sams. They are a little narrower than my sansha shoe and not quite as heavy but still nice and solid.

The sansha bojangles is a nice shoe, especially for the price. It is a nice solid shoe, no rubber stoppers and comes in various colors as well and only runs about $70. This shoe runs wide for me though and I don't feel that my footwork is nearly as clean when I wear them.

I saw that your daughter is worried about the shoe looking masculine but the more professional shoes are heavier shoes. The weight is part of what gives the shoe a better sound. That is why some dancers have the double and triple sole on their shoe.
By tappingitout
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 04:21 AM
I agree with pretty much all of the above stated here. I have 2 pairs of Miller and Ben Jazz Tap Masters and love them. They are a heavier shoe, but they have a beautiful tonality. As a young student I used the old CG09, and my last pair of those finally completely busted. The updated version is okay, but not exactly an investment shoe and definitely not a professional quality shoe. I used to like the Ks, but the newer K360s have not been as good. Something about the quality of the leather. I tried a pair of the SoDanca TA800s and hated them so much that I sold them to someone at a tap festival. They felt unbalanced to me if that makes sense. I don't know anything personally about the J-Sam shoe, but it looks to be a well made shoe. I have a pair of the new capezio's designed by Lisa La Touche on order that have a double build up on the front, but they are on back order so I can't vouch for them yet. The M60 used to be a good middle of the road option between a student and professional shoe but they have been discontinued. Also used to like the Leo Lane Alexander Concerto, but I don't think they are making those anymore either.
Miller and Ben does have some more feminine offerings. I'm looking into a pair of the New Show girls for myself.
By DarnIt
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 09:00 AM
Thank you all for your fantastic information - Miller and Ben keep coming to the top of the list!

I think this is the route she will go - she is heavily involved in her ballet through Sept/Oct so I think it will be a Christmas presant purchase - will give you her thoughts in Jan!

So impressed with all the help - thank you again!
By Lisa05
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:58 AM
FYI: If you are purchasing Miller and Bens for a Christmas gift and you choose custom colors, mine took around 10 weeks to arrive. They also are fitted in European sizes.

ReplySendWatch