Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Wait-- is that true?!
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 06:47 PM
Locked by QueenOf_TheDance (235870) on 2012-07-26 16:08:49 question answered

I heard that judges give cookie points if you have a good, Irish name. Is this for real? Unfair, but worth a try.
Maybe now I'll be known as Saoirse Macnamara or Mairead O'Brian.....:)

9 Replies to Wait-- is that true?!

re: Wait-- is that true?!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 AM
How would they know your name? you only have a number on.
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 01:18 AM
No...
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 01:28 AM
Someone told me that they did. I thought of the # tag thing and that they wouldn't know your name. But then I someone who was non-ID told me that her friend who Irish Danced used her mom's maiden name because it was more Irish than hers.

Well I'm glad to hear that they don't...
By reel_treble
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 03:46 AM
Some dancers that have TCRG parents will use their school's name even if it's not their given name. Or tack it on the end. Clearly a politics game so that everyone knows who they're related to. But that's more politics rather than "Irishness". This isn't the Rose of Tralee ;)
By xoc
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 07:25 PM
That coudn't be true as judges only know you as your competitor number, not your name. It would be kind of nice to get those bonus points though!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 09:04 PM
perhaps, having a more "irish" name could sound a little better when being called out for awards? LOL sorry, never heard of anything like this. People worry about whether or not the judges like their dress. Can you imagine if we had to worry about them liking our names???!!!! lol
By RockinCorkRoots
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 01:57 AM
I hope you don't get more points for having an Irish name but I'll admit that I've often wished I used my Irish maiden name for dd when she started feising. Silly, I know!!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 08:48 AM
There have been soooo many world champions with less than Irish names. To pull a few out of thin air - this year, Peter Dziak. Last year, Janek Gaca. A few years back, Nicole Zepcevski. In the 80s, Monica Buchcik. Those are extreme examples but even names like Ashley Smith and Kelly Stephens are more English-sounding than Irish.
By irishdanceJ51
On Thu Jul 26, 2012 07:04 PM
That just seems absolutely crazy. And i don't know how they would know your name because you only have a number on.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed