Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Classical Greek Dance - What exactly is it? Is it like lyrical?
By toniquinn
On Mon Jun 18, 2012 03:57 PM

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could give details of exactly what is classical greek dance, as seen at many ballet & theatre dance festivals around uk.
Some festivals don't have a lyrical section but will have a greek. The costumes look similar. But I've never seen what the dancing is actually like.
ISTD descibe it as free moving, so would it be similar to lyrical.
Does anyone have a video of someone doing classical greek?
The reason I ask is, if a festival had greek instead of lyrical, it could be an option for my dancers to perform their routine in the greek section instead if they are the same

4 Replies to Classical Greek Dance - What exactly is it? Is it like lyrical?

re: Classical Greek Dance - What exactly is it? Is it like lyrical?
By Klemers490
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:16 AM
From what I know Greek dancing is nothing like lyrical its more like stepping and less jumping.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:28 AM
I'm Greek, and most of the group dancing I've seen (at weddings and family functions, etc) looks a lot like this:
www.youtube.com . . .

Not at all what I'd consider lyrical, lol.
By hummingbird
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:38 AM
Classical Greek dancing is taken from the ancient Greek paintings and statues, a lot of the moves are done in profile because that's how they're portrayed in these art works. I did it many years ago at a ballet school I attended as a child, but not for long and there were plenty of jumps but it's not at all like lyrical which is all about expressing the emotion in the music you're dancing to.

Have you tried emailing the ISTD office to ask them, I've always found them to be very helpful in the past.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 06:57 AM

ReplySendWatch