Forum: Adults / Parents Only

Parents Only
From gymnastics to dance
By lilpunkinballet Comments: 33, member since Tue Aug 12, 2008
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 05:53 PM

My 9 year old daughter is a level 5 competitive gymnast who has recently expressed to me that she would like to start dancing on a Competetive level instead of gymnastics. I fully support her but I haven't been able to find any teams in our area. Can someone please direct me to the national dance ( jazz, hip hop, contemporary, ballet) site where I might find this info? I can't seem to find it!!

4 Replies to From gymnastics to dance

re: From gymnastics to dance
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 06:59 PM
Dance is not quite like gymnastics in this way. Gymnastics has the USAG that structures levels and classes. Dance does not. Instead, you need to be looking for STUDIOS in your area that have a competition team (websites and phone calls). If you want to do more research, then I recommend that you ask them specifically which competitions they attend each year and look those up. Dance competition is really a different beast than gymnastics competition because you don't have standardized scores, nor a single "highest" competition. There are no "national" teams like the US Olympic Gymnastics team for dance.
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 07:34 PM
Thank you! I have been calling around the studios, but the good ones in l.a. ( millennium, the edge) don't have teams. Maybe I'm missing some keyword when I search. I found angel city dance but I don't know anything about them and it's hard to tell without real personal feedback.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 08:09 PM
Does she take dance classes already? Because I don't think that there's alot of transferring of skill from gymnastics to dance, she needs to be in some dance classes if she's wanting to do competition. Most studios are also setting their competition teams right now, so if she's wanting to get in right now, now's the time.

I don't know LA all that well, but I did google this;

dancekar.com . . .

Which is the website for the Kids Artistic Review dance competition (or more specifically, their competition results page). They're in California ALOT for competitions, looking at the cities that are close to your are will give you an idea of good studios in the area to call for instruction. And even if they're too far for you to drive, they ought to know people that are closer to you.
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 08:21 PM
Oh my gosh...perfect website!! Thank you so much. Yes, she takes dance every day from the dance teachers at her gym and I think will be so much happier when she stops the gymnastics. She has pure joy on her face while dancing and complete stress and fears when training for gymnastics. I feel like you have really given us a gift with all this info...I have felt frustrated with not being able to offer her some options.

ReplySendWatch