Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Stretching through the moves...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 PM

I was looking at my video of my lyrical dance from recital yesterday, and something occurred to me.

It's fine.

That's it. It's not stunning. I can do the moves, and do them with the right timing, and all that, it's just...they just feel short, somehow.

So for next year, I'd like to work on stretching through my moves.

So, what do I need to do, to help me do that the best way I can? Is it an actual flexibility issue? Should I be adding in some yoga, or something to really work on my flexibility? (I do alright, I guess, but I don't come by flexibility all that naturally. The modest amount of it that I've got has taken LOTS of work...)

Some of it might be an element of physical limitation - I'm 5'1", and curvy. And as I like to say, "I've got no height, and I've got it nowhere." Short arms, short legs, short torso, short everything. And I mean - try as you might, a stretched short arm is still a short arm, you know? So while I'm willing to accept that to a point, I just didn't get dealt a good hand when it comes to looking long, there's also got to be things I can do to help, at least a little, haha...

Thoughts?

5 Replies to Stretching through the moves...

re: Stretching through the moves...
By liamsayywhaat
On Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 PM
It doesn't matter your size if you FEEL it! A dancer could be 7 feet tall and not stretch through their moves. Try imagining energy reaching OUT, past your fingers and toes when you dance. When you reach, really use your upper body. Try leaning when you reach. It's different for every dancer, but don't let your size limit you. Really making sure that you're always stretching your knees and elbows when called for will elongate your lines as well. Good luck! :)
By cwillams
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 04:28 PM
Good advice about stretching through the moves. Here's how I visualize it. Imagine a lightening storm. When you see lightening it starts from the cloud and extends outward, your eyes follow the the lightening as it goes. That's what you want from your arms, legs, and head. Imagine you have electricity coming out of your body. Another way I think of it is that there is something (anything) I want and it's just out of reach. hope this helps.
By jazzpanda
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 05:28 PM
My lyrical teacher told me to imagine light shooting out of my fingers and toes. It sounds strange but it helps a lot! Also, when you reach, try to reach for something instead of just throwing an arm out there...It tends to add more emotion to a dance as well. Good luck. :)
By dancer7210
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 07:01 PM
When you go through your moves try doing them ver slowly and dont focus on the moves, focus on how you connect each move to the next one and do that over and over again. After a few times th connections will be natural inbetween each step and that will really help! If you want to try improving your flexibility it might help! Focus on stretching not on what is going on around you if you do, and always remember to breath, most people hold their breath and it makes it alot harder to stretch! Also try to stretch when you get up in the morning one time during the day and before you go to bed if that is possible! Dont worry about height even if you are short you can be an amazing dancer! You might have to work a little bit harder but no dancer is perfect! People might say they are too short tall not fit enough, but there is not one type of dancer that is perfect!
By dancegirlee99
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:15 PM
When your running your dance or just doing a combination try to reach for something with your toes and your finger and it will look prettier and if doing a balance it will help you stay on balance i used to have problems with my movements not looking elongated but i tried this and it really helps so like even in a tondue like if your facing a mirror stand about 6 feet back and tondue front and think of elongating so much that your toes touch the mirror (dont move just reach) and it helps so much!! hope this helps you

ReplySendWatch