Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Does anyone think this is a trend that will pass quickly?
By uririshdancer01
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 PM

DD likes the bolero jacket look alot. Have had some say they think it is a trend that will pass quickly. I don't want to get this design if it will be popular for 2 seconds. Dresses are hard enough to resell.

33 Replies to Does anyone think this is a trend that will pass quickly?

re: Does anyone think this is a trend that will pass quickly?
By Maisey
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 PM
I think it looks flattering on many people so...I'd go for it. I go for what the dancer wants, but I don't usually think about selling.
By OverTheBridge
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 PM
I think it's gorgeous. And I wouldn't worry about not being able to sell it. A friend of mine just bought an early 2000s three panel style dress, and she loves it.
By Reel_Ballerina97
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 05:49 PM
I think the style looks great. You and your DD should definitely go for it. As long as it's in good condition later on, it should still be sellable. Many people still purchase "older" style dresses. Maybe a newer champion dancer would be interested.
I think when it comes to buying a used dress that is a bit older in style, many people pay the most attention to the style of the skirt.
By lucky18
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 06:04 PM
I was wondering the same thing, but after looking through pictures at worlds and the irish nationals i'd say that there's a good chance they'll stay popular for awhile. I think with any trend its difficult to say whether it will stick or not, I think the only ones that can really decide are the top/popular dressmakers. If you have another week or so before you decide you may want to look at the pictures from NA Nationals (first week in July) and see how many girls have them. I think looking at what's popular is going to be the only indicator of something lasting....

PS I hope they stay...I love them!
By aby
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 07:44 PM
I think the style is fab really elegant go for it you cant go wrong with such a flattering style
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 08:33 PM
I think that if you love it, then go for it. When buying used dresses, the first thing I look at is colors and embroidery, as well as skirt types. The last thing I'm going to say about a dress is "oh, the bolero look is soooo out of style now, next!". Chances are, I'd say "Cupcake skirts are too young for me" or "I don't want to wear a puffball, it's a little dated. I want a newer skirt type". When buying a used dress, I think people tend to care less about how current it is (versus someone ordering a bespoke dress). Most people who do want something current basically just want something that doesn't look too dated (like a world-qualifying champ surrounded by current new dresses while wearing an old-school five panel. The dress may be pretty, but it's dated).

Also, if you're paying top buck for a brand new dress, get whatever you want! Custom dresses are meant to be yours! If someone passes it up in the buying room when you eventually go to sell it, then obviously it isn't their dress. But why worry about that now? Someone will think it's just as lovely as you do!
By uririshdancer01
On Wed Jun 27, 2012 04:29 AM
a BIG THANK-YOU!!!! to all the dance.net ladies with your wisdom. Reading all of your great advice has really put me at ease. We both love the style. More importantly my dancer loves it. If she feels great in it that is what counts... Thanks again everyone.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 27, 2012 02:11 PM
you also might think about, some of these jacket style dresses look more like that and some less. Like, some you look at it and it immediately looks like a little shrug/jacket and some don't even though it has the same silhouette. Does that make any sense?

This is a drawing of the dress I'm about to make for myself. Its kind of the jacket/shrug look but not so obvious, it focuses more on the reversed "V" shape than the jacket. If you take a look at Gavin's FB page you can see this too, some are really obvious and some not so much.

Comment #9967510 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2012-06-28 01:59:32 Member request. Please repost your comment with the appropriate photo.

By booty74
On Wed Jun 27, 2012 06:28 PM
nice pinkirishrose ... who made it ?
By pinkirishrose
On Wed Jun 27, 2012 07:22 PM
The wonderful Kira of Kirations!
By uririshdancer01
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 AM
Jen so love your design. Please post pics when it is done!!! It is
By uririshdancer01
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 01:01 AM
We so love Kira!!! She will be making our dress. This will be our second Kirations. She is so great to work with.
By pinkirishrose
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:45 AM
Here is my daughter's dress made with a bolero style. She just loves it and has made many compliments on it. It was made in May 2012 by the wonderful Kira of Kirations.
By krisinstitches
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 02:03 PM
Edited by krisinstitches (207242) on 2012-06-28 14:04:52 added info on the style, back on the original topic of the post
WOW! That dress is fabulous! My dd's current dress is by Kira as well, and we're looking forward to working with her again (soon!) on a new dress.

If my dd could wear this style, I'd be pushing for it. But since they are (typically) with contrasting sleeves, we have to pass them up. But I love them!
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 07:40 AM
New trends appear all the time, yes, but the old ones don't just disappear instantly. They tend to remain somewhat popular for at least a couple years. And in terms of selling the dress in the future, it's really the skirt that makes a dress look contemporary or dated. I say go for it! It's a classy, elegant style.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 09:51 AM
I guess if you were worried about it being a trend that will fade you could perhaps get it made so that the jacket is detachable? Like a proper jacket, rather than embroidery to give the appearance of a jacket.

Claire.
By DontSlipOnMyJig
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 03:25 AM
I think the bolero looks very cute and trendy on many people and adds some interest to the bodice. I say go for it! Good luck to your DD and hopefully she ends up with a dress she loves!
By xoc
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 07:12 PM
I think the trend will last until around Worlds 2013 when a new big trend is revealed like the jacket style was revealed at Worlds 2012.
By wildirish98
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 AM
I have seen sooooo many super popular Celtic Star dresses with that design. Don't worry about it not being popular in a while, I am positive that it will still be super popular 2-3 years from now. When you need to resell it, it will be snapped up in about 2 seconds.
By uririshdancer01
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 05:10 AM
Thanks everyone! we will post a pic as the dress comes in. We are definitely going for it!
By FeisFrocks
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 08:06 AM
Most of the dresses that I am making at the moment are that style and I think that they are really flattering and go with whatever skirt you would like.
By slipjiggerkenzie
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 PM
The dress is gorgeous!! :)
By MMKMSB
On Wed Jul 25, 2012 06:20 PM
I think it will be around for awhile. It really just came in this past year and it looks really great on people. I just ordered one.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch