Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Any good teen books?
By Feet_on_fire Comments: 11, member since Mon Jun 25, 2012
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:20 PM

Hey there! I adore reading, it is like another way I can escape my world without really leaving it! I have read all of The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, House of Night, and most popular book collections. Like I said, I adore reading. I am going to a church camp where we aren't aloud to have music, phones, and electronics which could be a problem because I fall asleep to music, so I am going to read to help me fall asleep.

I went to books a million and tried looking for a new book but nothing really popped out at me. I have been considering the Pretty Little Liars series (I never got to see the tv show) and was wondering if that was any good? I mostly like thriller/romance/mystery books and I really like series better than just a single book.

If you have any good mystery/romance/thriller books I would appreciate it if you would mind sharing them! Thanks so much!

13 Replies to Any good teen books?

re: Any good teen books?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:36 PM
Have you read Scott Westerfeild's Uglies/Pretties/Specials/Extras series? They are good teen books that have an undercurrent of science fiction with cool themes and plots.

The Diane Duane's wizarding series, while meant for younger children, are good reads in my mind and I still re read them in my twenties.

Additionally, don't be afraid to grab some books outside of your usual style. You never know when your reading tastes are ready to expand until you give it a try, so grabbing some books for cheap at a discount store can give you some insight into other styles of writing.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:54 PM
I'd recommend Legend by Marie Lu and Delirium and Pandemonium both by Lauren Oliver. The Maze Runner trilogy is also very good.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 08:46 PM
Just looking at my shelves in my room:

Artemis Fowl
Pendragon
Chronicles of Narnia
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 09:15 PM
Have you read anything by John Green? If not, I would definatly recomend "The Fault in Our Stars". It is absolutely fantastic. Best book I read after I finished the Hunger Games. So beautifully written. Also I'll recommend another book of his, "Paper Towns". So good!

A good mystery series is the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter (the first book is called "I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You") It's about a group of girls who go to a top secret boarding school for spies.

My final suggestion is the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. It's about a girl who's father has the ability to read a book aloud and cause the charaters to escape from the book. But when a character comes out, something (or someone) from the real world gets trapped in the book...
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 AM
You might like The Mortal Instrument Series. A lot of people really liked it and I thought it was a good mindless read, but not absolutely amazing.

If you are looking for more mystery/suspense there are a bunch of series like the Alphabet series by Sue Grafton and I love Patricia Cornwell.
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 02:45 AM
I'm a a big fan of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games, and I recently just read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It's a bit different from Harry Potter and such, but I really, really enjoyed it! It has a great twist. . . and I'll leave it at that ;)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 03:16 AM
Ashes, Delirium/Pandemonium, Divergent/Insurgent... I've been reading a lot of YA fiction lately but really enjoyed Divergent... waiting for Insurgent to come off hold at the library. Ashes was quite good as well.

Not a YA book but I really enjoyed War Horse and found it to be a nice read.

Of course there is always the classic Diary of Anne Frank.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 05:21 AM
^ I just started Insurgent last weekend! It's not quite grasping me yet but I'm giving it my all!
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 04:08 PM
Edited by alwaysonmytoes (165262) on 2012-07-01 16:10:20
Have you read any Ann Brashares? The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series has been one of my favorites for years. I just reread it last year at the age of 19 and it was just as good as I remembered! She has other novels that are geared more to adults, but they're fantastic as well.

I'll have to check out my bookshelf when I'm home and come back with more recommendations because I'm totally drawing a blank!

Edit: These aren't teen novels, but if you like mystery and suspense you should read Agatha Christie! I think I read just about everything she's written when I was in high school. :)
By reeldancer123 Comments: 663, member since Sun Mar 28, 2010
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 01:02 AM
Sarah Dessen!

Her books are really great. They all connect too. Sometimes a main character from one book will pop up working in another, or things like that.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 04:51 AM
Seconding anything John Green
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 05:22 AM
Anything by Tamora Pierce. She's a fantastic author, although I'm not sure if she's published anything recently. Also, if you like mysteries, although they're adult books they're pretty tame, the Miss Murphy Mystery series is really good. The author's name is Rita Mae Brown, if I remember correctly. They're a bit silly at times, but they're very good.
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 PM
I have read the Pretty Little Liars series an they are quite good. The books are very fast paced and have the mystery that you're looking for.

I recommend the Divergent trilogy! Simply amazing. It's a dystopian series. That's all I'm going to say though. I highly recommend reading them. There are only 2 books out but the third one will be coming out next year I think.

Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella is pretty good too. It's not a series though.

:)

ReplySendWatch