Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Excited, but also freaking myself out
By brackengirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 PM

Sorry if this gets a bit ramble-y.

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for about 7 months now and we are head over heels for each other. I have always been super skeptical of romance and "love at first sight" type things, but I swear to y'all, from the end of our first date I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. And that scares the crap out of me.

I'm nearly 21, he's my first boyfriend, and falling in love was just, like....I don't know...a rocket taking off into outer space...I'm sure where I was going with that analogy. It's not the commitment that freaks me out. It's the fact that, if he were to ask me to marry him right now (which he did let slip he's been looking at rings on his own ever since we went to a jewelry store on a whim together), I would say yes that makes me go eeek!

However, it would be a really long engagement if he were to propose soon (which I don't know if he is). He still has 4 years in pharmacy school, and I have at least another year for my ungergrad and then another 1.5-2 for graduate school. And don't even start me on all of our students loans. *sigh* I don't know what the point of this is, I guess I just needed to spew my thoughts out in a friendly place. I really, really, REALLY love him. He really loves me, his family loves me and my family loves him. I honestly feel like he is my soulmate. I just get a little bit of a "holy crap!" feeling in my stomach when I think about getting engaged (though it's mostly excitement rather than fear)

3 Replies to Excited, but also freaking myself out

re: Excited, but also freaking myself out
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:44 PM
I really, really, REALLY love him. He really loves me, his family loves me and my family loves him.

^ And this is the most important part, right here! Don't let the fact that you are still a "student" or your age stop you from being happy. You are right to have this "eeeek" feeling, it sounds like a really exciting time in your life and I wish you all the best! :)
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 03:05 PM
This is very exciting, but a red flag shot up in my mind when you mentioned this was your first boyfriend and you've only been dating for 7 months.

Take it slow. Most, if not all, relationships go through a "honeymoon" phase where both sides talk about getting married or having children or being with each other forever. As that honeymoon phase wears off, you're still very much in love with each other, but you seriously sit and think the things through you were planning in the early months of your relationship.

There are plenty of people who marry their first and only boyfriends, but I just feel like you should take this slowly. Don't love him any less, he won't love you any less, you don't have to even say anything about it or change what you're doing. But you're still young, only 21, and marrying a guy you started dating 7 months a go is moving really fast.
By brackengirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 PM
Damhnait wrote:

This is very exciting, but a red flag shot up in my mind when you mentioned this was your first boyfriend and you've only been dating for 7 months.

Take it slow. Most, if not all, relationships go through a "honeymoon" phase where both sides talk about getting married or having children or being with each other forever. As that honeymoon phase wears off, you're still very much in love with each other, but you seriously sit and think the things through you were planning in the early months of your relationship.

There are plenty of people who marry their first and only boyfriends, but I just feel like you should take this slowly. Don't love him any less, he won't love you any less, you don't have to even say anything about it or change what you're doing. But you're still young, only 21, and marrying a guy you started dating 7 months a go is moving really fast.

I definitely agree with you. I think that's part of the reason for my feelings about it. I tend to view situations with my head first and my heart later and am very logical and practical, and my feelings are sort of throwing all that out the window at the moment, which has never happened to me before. IF we were to get engaged soon, like I said, the engagement would be at least 4-5 years long, so even though we are talking about it we are definitely not in a hurry to rush down the aisle. We want to get married at Disneyworld and that crap is so pricey! We'll definitely need his pharmacist salary to cover that haha.

I really am trying not to take things too fast. We fell in love super quickly, we lost or virginities to each other after dating like 3 months. I never thought I would move that fast (long story, struggle with social anxiety etc. etc.), but everything has just felt very right with him. I definitely don't want to get married for another couple of years, and there is no way I'll be having kids for at least 7. My job at a daycare is enough for now lol

ReplySendWatch