Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 7 of 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: All things work together for good (Romans 8:28)
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 14, 2013 06:12 PM
I didn't make it out to class last night as I'm not feeling the greatest lately. I am hoping to practice this weekend, either at the studio or at home, depending on my energy.

On another note: only one more week left of school! :D I am both happy to have a break, as I am not eating properly due to having so much to do. On the flip side, I am really going to miss these kids. :) I am excited to actually have energy when going to dance class though! haha
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 06:04 AM
So I "practiced" at home yesterday, but I just felt off. Does anyone else know what I mean? You know, like when you have the best of intentions to have a great practice, but you just feel every move in your body? Everything hurts, you can't breathe properly (after just a warmup), your head has a smashing headache, and you just feel "off"? That's what I felt like. So it ended up only being maybe 20mins total, but that's better than nothing.

I almost rolled my ankle at one point and thought, "OK...there is a difference between pushing myself and knowing when to stop for the day. I don't want any injuries!" So I'll just tackle another practice some other day! :)

On a good note, my softshoe is really improving! :D I am getting much higher on my toes, and I'm learning to really extend my legs in certain sections. My teacher on Monday had told me that when I do a double back in one part of my reel that I'm forgetting about the leg stretched down. So I really worked on that part during my practice, and wow...it makes a world of difference! :)
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 16, 2013 07:34 AM
I totally know what you mean about feeling "off" sometimes! Don't worry, it happens to all of us sometimes. You still worked for 20 minutes and that's 20 minutes of practice that you improved and benefited from. A little practice is always better than no practice. ;)
On Wed Jun 19, 2013 04:12 PM
^Thanks Beth! I just love DDN because everyone is so encouraging! :) Here is a short video from my practicing this past Saturday: youtu.be . . . Not much space, but it's a work in progress. :)
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 19, 2013 04:45 PM
It's looking reely good! Haha! You are really high on your toes and it is looking really sharp. Just keep squeezing those thighs together. :) keep up the great work!
On Wed Jun 19, 2013 08:29 PM
I haven't seen you dance in a while and I must say you're a lot sharper now. I found you were tighter and stronger than in previous videos. Yay! :)
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 01:59 PM
Thanks ladies! Tonight is hardshoe class (FAR harder and worse dancing than softshoe),so we'll see how that goes. :)
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 07:03 PM
Short update:
- Survived Thursday's hardshoe class and tonight's softshoe class. Although tonight must have been 30+ degrees plus humidity because it was ridiculously hot in there! :? But at least I sweat out a lot of toxins! haha I have a lot to work on; my stupid toes were being uncooperative today and didn't want to point. Plus my Achilles tendonitis is flaring up pretty badly (aka: Hannah's limping). I've iced it though, so I'll see how it feels in the morning.

- The kids are all finished (YAY! :D), and this week my coworkers and I are in the classroom getting things cleaned and organized. It's amazing what builds up in one classroom over the course of a year!!!! We were there today for about 8hrs, and we've made progress so far, so that's good.

- Things are trucking along well in regards to India. I can now start being reimbursed for my airfare, vaccinations, etc... which I'll put into my savings account to pay bills while I'm away. I go from July 13-17th to Toronto for some orientation as well. I got my new passport today, and we're going to book my airfare to India soon too! :D EEK!!! Then I leave August 30th!
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 07:39 PM
Edited by IrishLizzy (101326) on 2013-06-24 19:43:55
You're going to be in TO next month? Hmmm, maybe we should have a meet up if you have the time ;)
On Tue Jun 25, 2013 04:33 AM
Oh I would SO love that! :D I'm going to see the CN Tower on Saturday, July 13th (probably around 3ish) and am meeting up (at 5pm) with an old friend from dance class who lives there now. I'll facebook you with my cell number and hopefully we can hang out!
On Thu Jun 27, 2013 06:59 PM
Just wanted to pop in quickly to say how much I am loving dance right now! Yes it's hard coming back after a break, and yes there are LOTS of things I'd like to improve about my dancing. But I'm really enjoying dance; I'm not taking anything too seriously. I'm definitely pushing myself hard (as my body will tell you! haha), but I'm not killing myself. I'm reminding myself that my last few months are all about enjoying dance- NOT stressing out about it. So far I think I'm doing well! :D
On Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 PM
Well, that was a pretty bad practice today! haha It was so hot and I had little "umph" in my dancing. My goal over the next few weeks (rather than trying to make everything PERFECT) is to try to be consistent in my dancing.

Sometimes, like at the beginning of my softshoe practice at the studio today, my dancing is crisp and sharp. No floppy feet, no bent knees, etc... But other times it's like my body forgets all it's practiced and I can't get my legs straight and toes pointed for the life of me- even when focussing on it the WHOLE time dancing.

I was able to feel the slightest bit more confident in some turns I have (not quite as wobbly! haha :P), and I also figured out a section where I could "pop" more. So those were positives. Plus I was able to do my full round, even though it didn't look the greatest.

Tomorrow I'm going to practice hardshoe at home, so we'll see how that goes. I told myself that today was the first time I'd practiced at home in a few weeks, so things will get better and more consistent in time. :)
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 02:04 PM
So my rhinestones arrived in the mail today, and I'm blinging again! :) I'm adding some crystals to the skirt, and once that's done I'm going to see how many I have left over to do other spots.

I'm trying to upload a photo of what I have "blinged" so far, but it keeps saying my file is too large (even though it's under 3mb). Anywho....if I can figure it out I'll post a picture. :)
re: All things work together for good (Romans 8:28) (karma: 1)
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:28 PM
Maybe there is just too much bling for the system... :P
On Wed Jul 03, 2013 05:14 AM
Ok...let's see if these photos work! :)
On Wed Jul 03, 2013 03:09 PM
So I practiced hardshoe for about 20mins today, plus did about 10mins of releves and core work. Again...nothing spectacular; I can't seem to get my feet to turn out in hardshoe unfortunately. :(

I seemed lethargic like on Monday, and I'm thinking my body and mind are probably starting to unwind after the difficult school year. It's going to take a while to recoup itself I think. So I didn't really feel like I accomplished much today, but as Beth said...doing *something* is better than having done *nothing*. :) I have a hardshoe class tomorrow night, so we'll see if my confidence and consistency are any better!
On Thu Jul 04, 2013 01:34 PM
Edited by celticfeet (107967) on 2013-07-04 13:36:10
So since the temperature + humidex is almost 40 degrees....I'm skipping dance class tonight. There is actually a level 1 heat warning in effect! I feel really guilty since my hardshoe needs a lot of work, but I know if I go tonight I'll just get nauseous like I often do in the heat. Plus I'll be so dead I'll just frustrate myself more.

So instead I'm going to go on a long bike ride (almost 15km) with my sister tomorrow morning (before the heat starts) and practice dance on my own Saturday morning.

I went for my first rabies shot, as well as my typhoid shot for India. The rabies shots are a series of 3 vaccines, and each one is....wait for it....$265! :O :O I can't believe it, but I suppose it's worth it.

Anywho, that's my only news for today. :)
On Sun Jul 07, 2013 02:38 PM
So I just came back from a longer practice at the studio today. I did mostly hardshoe, and then did some softshoe at the end. It was nice because my friend was there too, and even though she didn't do much dancing, she was able to constructively critique my dances and show me ways to do certain moves better. It was very helpful! :)

Plus, even though it was unbearably hot, I felt pretty good about my dancing. Certain sections are really improving, which is great! :) I do really need to work on stamina though, but it's hard to do that in the heat without feeling like you're going to pass out! :? Any other suggestions on how I can do stamina work?
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 07:40 AM
So class on Monday was decent, and my sister and I went biking again yesterday; we biked over 15km this time! :D Today I'm not feeling the greatest, so I'm going to take today off since my legs could use the break anyways.

Then tomorrow I have dance class, Friday I'll practice on my own, and then I'm off to Toronto from Saturday-next Wednesday for my orientation for India.
On Fri Jul 12, 2013 04:41 PM
Class last night was super hot again, so my energy levels were the lowest they've been! In spite of that, I made it through my full hardshoe round, and worked as hard as I could. My dancing was definitely sloppy in certain points, but I still could see the areas that are improving.

Today I practiced for a bit and then did some strengthening exercises. My softshoe is definitely better than my hardshoe! :P But my hardshoe is coming along; my sister watched, and while she's a non-dancer, she has a really good eye. Even she said my rhythm has gotten a lot better; there's just a few sections where it's on time but muffled. Then she said (OF COURSE!) my turnout in my hardshoe still needs work.

Slowly and surely guys! :D I'm not dancing for five days while I'm in Toronto for orientation, so I miss a softshoe dance class but I'll be at dance class Thursday for hardshoe. Hopefully I won't lose what little stamina I have, but my body will come back stronger after having a few days to recover! :)
On Sat Jul 20, 2013 01:54 PM
So my orientation in Toronto went well; I was able to do some sightseeing on Saturday, and then really learn and grow a lot the next few days. I had one night when I broke down crying, as I think it hit me I'm really going to India. My communication with home will be minimal, I need to tell people not to use my name/location/organization due to security reasons, other than a roommate, I won't always have someone close by to ask questions, etc... It is certainly going to be a challenging/stretching experience! :)

Other than that, I practiced dance on Thursday at the studio after a rehearsal. Class was cancelled, so technically I've had a week off from classes now. But my practice went fairly well. I can't believe the feis is only two weeks away!!!....where did the time go?!? :?

Then on Friday we had a show at a local senior's residence. I did the 4hand reel right into the 2hand reel. Then a short break while other dancers did slip jig, and then I did my full reel. Then a quick shoe change and I did the Downfall of Paris set by myself, and then a treble reel number with the whole group. Holy moly was it ever HOT, HOT, HOT! :) But I made it through! It was a good stamina workout! haha

So today I am just taking a break, and I went for a leg massage too! It was GREAT! :) :) Then tomorrow I'm going into the studio to practice, I'll have class on Monday and Thursday, and will probably practice Wednesday and Saturday too. So I'll have five days of dancing this week because next week I'm on vacation. Right before the feis! :?

While we're in PEI I won't have any chance to practice, but when we arrive in Halifax on Thursday I'll have access to a gym and dance studio. So I can practice Thursday and Saturday before the competition Sunday, August 4th. :) Since I'm just going for fun, there's a LOT less pressure, and I'm REALLY excited!

I'll have my family there, my friend and I are doing a 2-hand, and there's always an AWESOME ceilidh/ dance party afterwards which is a blast! :) I definitely don't feel extremely ready competition-wise, but I've certainly made progress here and there. So we'll see how it goes! :)

Whew....sorry this was so long!
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 02:41 PM
Did a hardcore practice at the studio today; I danced until my legs were super jello-y. :) But it was good! My stamina still isn't great, but I was able to get through my full hornpipe, plus do each step with an 8 bar break in between. I practiced a lot of sections, plus did two steps in a row again. I also ran through my set once, then did some work on my reel. Whew! :)
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 07:04 AM
That was one of the hardest classes I've had in a LONG time! My teacher took advantage of the slightly cooler weather to do a pile of stamina work! After a long warmup and drills, we did our full rounds twice in a row (but just up and back rather than travelling a lot), stretched, then did our full rounds again but moving more. Then we did a step and a half a few times, then the other half step and third step a few times. Holy moly...I was DEAD!

I limped home, with my whole lower body inflamed. I iced my feet, lower calf and knees, and then put some special cream on them. They feel better today, just very stiff. Luckily the inflammation has gone down. So I might buy some epsolm salts and have a nice bath today since today is my day off from practice.
re: All things work together for good (Romans 8:28) (karma: 1)
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 07:13 PM
Well, I just got home from my last dance class before the feis! Eeek! While I'm REALLY looking forward to our vacation starting this Sunday, I'm nervous that I'm not going to any classes next week. I just have to trust I've done enough, and that I'll be able to have some practice at the dance studio on Thursday-Saturday next week. It's the same place we stayed at two years ago, and it's a great facility. :)

On that note, it was a great class tonight! :) My teacher was still on me for my turnout and sickling my foot a bit (which I cannot seem to remedy for the life of me). But she said my turnout was getting better in certain sections. It's as good as it's gonna get before the feis! :P

But she complimented a few sections of my hornpipe which was great. I felt good about my dancing too; I lost a bit of energy during my 1/2 step, but overall my stamina was good in my full round. So it was a good confidence booster before the feis.

Plus there are only 7 people in my competition, and three of them (including me) are from my school. I told my friend that she has a good shot at 1st place, because she's been dancing REALLY well. I just want to go out there, leave it all on the floor, and feel like I danced WELL. I definitely feel like I've improved a LOT of aspects of my dancing, and I feel I've been able to keep a positive attitude too. :D :D

So I'm just pumped to be able to dance, have my family, friends and dance teacher there, make lots of memories, and go to the ceilidh and have a great time, regardless of results. :) Wish me luck!!
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 03:13 PM
Oh body...why are you so sore that you can only manage a short practice today? :(
Page:
Page 7 of 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch