Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
anyone don't drive but still live a happy normal life?
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:30 AM

Hi everyone,

I need someone to talk to.. partically someone in their 20s or know of someone young and in the workforce maybe dating and doesn't drive but is still living a happy content life..i just need some comfort and if you think you can help me please click here.. i appreciate it!

14 Replies to anyone don't drive but still live a happy normal life?

re: anyone don't drive but still live a happy normal life?
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:54 AM
I am 28 and I don't have a licence, have never really wanted one. Since I came of driving age, I have always lived in the inner-city, near very extensive public transport services, and I have no problems using public transport to get where I need to go.

My partner drives, which makes life easier for things like picking up friends from the airport, and doing big loads of shopping or transporting large items, as well as getting places that public transport doesn't go to.

However, I have never found not being able to drive my own car to be an impediment to my success as a person. Dating, getting to and from work, visiting friends and family, going on shopping trips - all those are things that can be achieved on public transport in my city. And it's WAY cheaper than all the associated costs of keeping a car on the road.

If I lived in an outer suburb or a more rural or regional area I think I would have gotten my licence by now, but being able to live in the inner city has allowed me to remain unlicenced.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:58 AM
I am 23 and went through a period where I couldn't drive due to having seizures and a period where I couldn't drive due to not having a car that I was able to/comfortable with driving. I managed to get to work, college, etc. during that period of time just fine. Sure, it could be frustrating at times when I didn't have a lot of time or the weather was bed, etc. but I lived.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 03:00 AM
I agree with Erin. If you live somewhere with great public transit, not driving won't matter. Heck, I have been driving since my 15th birthday, love driving, and still daydream of just being able to sell my car and be able to walk/bus/bike/subway anywhere I need to be. In my opinion, cars and driving are hassles to be avoided if possible.

I can't speak from personal experience, as I live in a place where driving is a must, but one of my friends is 21 and from Seattle. He doesn't drive, is planning on moving to another big city after university graduation, and is perfectly fine with the idea of never driving. He goes out, he shops, he does it all. Buses are great, and he's noticed that people are a lot more courteous with him...if they're going to the store, they'll call him and see if he wants to go. It's never an issue.
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 03:26 AM
In my experience, most young professionals in large cities (NYC, London, Toronto, etc) don't have a car. It's just too expensive when public transit is available.

I've been working and taking transit for a few years now. Sure, it's annoying when you want to go to Ikea or take a road trip, but it really hasn't affected my lifestyle that much.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:06 AM
I know my cousin lives in Chicago (like, she lives downtown Chicago) and they actually do as much as they can to discourage people from driving. You have to purchase parking spaces and they're very expensive, insurance is higher in the city, the whole bit.

I've never lived in a city with any form of public transportation. My town is decently sized, but no public transportation of any kind. So I couldn't live my life without being able to drive. :/

My brother lives in a college town that prizes people walking and biking rather than driving. He has a car, but does 90% of his travel via public transportation in town.
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:39 AM
I am 23, and I haven't driven for almost a year because I was naughty and lost my license (speeding fine whilst on my P Plates- drive slower, kids!!).

I'll be honest, there are times when it drives me absolutely bat poop insane. I'm studying journalism, and hands-down the best way to get work experience in the field is to intern at a country newspaper or TV channel. Of course, I don't have this option- first because I can't drive out to any rural locations to begin with, and second because I can't drive myself around to interview sources, shoot footage etc whilst I'm up there. Watching my friends and fellow students get jobs at regional papers is pretty painful, especially because I know that I can write just as well as they can.

That said, from what I can tell, a lack of license in the field I'm actually passionate about getting into (advertising)is no problem at all. I interned at reputable agency in my city earlier this year, and we caught cabs EVERYWHERE we went. Most big agencies are located in the city, so you're not really expected to have a car anyway. We just took cab charge slips and they were charged to the company.

On a day-to-day basis, it doesn't really bother me. Sure, it's irritating sometimes- like when I want to drive five minutes up the road to the gym or the supermarket, but instead I have to walk twenty minutes or wait half an hour for a bus -but I think this is more because I have had a license recently enough to remember what it's like.

My friends are super understanding (especially since I have literally no-one to blame but myself for my circumstances!) and are so used to me not driving by now that they automatically offer to pick me up, drop me off or arrange our catch ups around areas it's easy for me to commute to. I'm constantly offering to give them money for petrol, which they always refuse, but I try to make up for it by shouting them dinner or drinks occassionally, and I always pay for parking if necessary. As far as dating goes, I've only been on a couple of dates since I lost my license, but it was a total non-issue- we just met for drinks in town (public transport everywhere), which is what I would have done even if I could drive.

Oh, and the best part? I save SO much money by not driving. Back when I had a car, I'd pay $3000+ for petrol in a year, $600+ for vehicle registration, $400+ for insurance, $200+ for services and maintenance, and probably at least a couple of hundred for parking. Add onto that any speeding fines, parking tickets and insurance claims (yeah I wasn't a great driver...) and you've got at least another $500/year averaged out over the four years I drove for. Now, I pay $15ish/week(so $780/year)for metro tickets, and the occasional drink, meal or parking fee for friends. When I look at how much cash I will have saved over the 12 months I won't have a license for, I'm really, seriously considering staying off the road when I actually get it back.

If you have any more questions or need someone to vent to, please feel free to PM me. I remember how bummed I was when I first lost my license!
By Pinkbubble Comments: 74, member since Fri Apr 29, 2011
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 PM
I'm 26 and never had a license, and never wanted one. I usually just bike everywhere. I think my life is happy and normal! I've only run into a few people who thought it was odd.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 PM
Considering you can start lessons at 17 here, I waited a really long time to take lessons and pass my driving test. My logic was that I could walk to school, then the train was handy for my boyfriend's house, I could get the bus to college, then I worked in town and there was no parking so the train was better...always an excuse not to do it. Truth be told I was scared of being rubbish at it. I live in Britain's second city and the public transport is really NOT the handiest way to get around. I hated being at the mercy of someone else - someone's else's timetable, a route planned by someone else that wasn't the most direct way, the bus being held up by traffic or rowdy passengers, the train being too packed to get on...

I don't think there's much of a connection to be made between a "happy normal life" and owning a driving licence, but it makes. life. easier. I don't have to wait around, I'm in control of my own timings, more opportunities for work and leisure are opened up to me. Yes I got annoyed at late buses etc, now I get annoyed at people driving like idiots. The annoyances are different but still present, however the benefits of being able to drive are immense.
re: anyone don't drive but still live a happy normal life? (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:38 PM
I have my license, I got it when I was 18, but I never felt safe driving (probably from being in the car with some scary drivers). I had a car in college and put 12,000 miles on it, in 3 years. Thats not a lot at all. When I got into grad school in the city I got rid of the car and stopped driving. I don't regret it at all. But the city was the key part. If I stayed in my hometown there was no possible way I could go without driving. But being in DC, I walk everywhere or take the metro. Here having a car here is a novelty, I know very few people my age with a car. It's too expensive and the traffic here is horrendous. I spend maybe at most $150-$200 on the metro a month now that I work full time. If I drove, I would pay $50 a month just to park the car at my apartment. Then add in car payments, insurance, gas, and maintenance and it's much more than that. I've actually read quite a few articles recently is that one difference between our generation and our parents is that we are driving less. I've read all types of reasons why ranging from that we are lazy, scared, environmentally conscious, don't have enough money, would rather spend money on electronics etc. But whatever the reason, it is becoming more and more normal. But you have to accept that you have to move to a city where you can travel independently. Yes, I would say not driving could effect your dating life if your mom is driving you to dates. But if you take the subway, not at all. Chances are your date is too.

You have posted a lot of different threads about your concern about not being able to drive due to your eyesight. Is there something going on in your home life or with your friends that we should know about to hep you better? Are people pressuring you to drive? Have you talked to your family about their thoughts on you moving to a city? You've asked about dating, jobs, living in cities, etc, but you keep just posting more and more threads centered around the same issue. I think DDN has given you a lot of great advice already. If you aren't finding what we have to say helpful (or perhaps you were hoping to hear something different), maybe you should talk to a disabilities career counselor or something. The best time would have been while you were at college, but it's not too late. I think a professional can help you more than we can in terms of resources and giving you confidence that this isn't the end of the world etc. This issue seems to be consuming you right now and I'm not sure what else DDN can say to help. We have given lots of advice and suggestions but it's up to you to make decisions and figure out what you need to do to live a fulfilling life.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed Jul 04, 2012 06:18 PM
So now that you has posted about the exact same thing in about 6 posts now, I think that you are making a mountian out of a molehill quite honestly.

Its an issue because you choose to make it one.

Plain and simple...

Find somewhere to live, with good public transport.

Any guy that won't date you because you don't drive, isn't worth it.
By chfls01 Comments: 17, member since Wed Jul 04, 2012
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:54 AM
Im 27 and dont drive or have a license. Sometimes it is horrible because i cant just get up and leave to go somewhere and I always have to rely on someone to get me to work, etc and I have to wait on them. But all-in-all im perfectly happy not driving (although the people that drive me around would say otherwise)
By Ctine Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 19, 2012
On Wed Jul 11, 2012 05:59 PM
Two of my friends are 22 and don't have licenses. I think it just depends on if you can get to work/school easy enough! :)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:12 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2012-07-15 06:17:02
Just as long as 'Ya'll don't come to Texas.

Public Transportation is a dirty word in these parts, and folks don't cotten too well to the concept of Toll Roads either whcih would be designed and intended to help reduce congestion on the terribly poor road infrastructure we have here. Seems the state prefers that private business/industry pay for the public's roads.... ain't happening. With so little public transit, the roads are just a mess in the big cities here. I live in San Antonio, and the only folks who use the limited public buses here are those who can not afford a car/gas/insurance and who also live in the not best areas of town. That's all the buses cover. The mentality down here is that everyone drives, has at least two vehicls per household, and one of them is a large gas thirsty SUV, if not a pick-em-up truck.
By Katielomax Comments: 24, member since Sat Dec 03, 2011
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 04:56 PM
I dont know how anyone with a family can manage without a car I know I couldnt!

ReplySendWatch