Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
pain in my hands
By calla45 Comments: 228, member since Tue May 08, 2012
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:21 PM

my sisters and i started taking a yoga class together and whenever we do things like downward dog my hands and wrists start to hurt really badly (particularly in the heel of my hand) and it gets to the point where i have to come down from the pose because it hurts my hands so much.

we have like a plasticy foamish pad thingy maybe like an inch or two thick that we put under our mats (i dont know if that affects it or not)

does anybody know how i can take some of the pressure off of my hands?

2 Replies to pain in my hands

re: pain in my hands
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:36 PM
Your wrists and hands have to get used to the pressure, just like we have to strengthen our feet and ankles for pointe work. If your body isn't used to resting body weight on your hands, then of course it will be uncomfortable (and even hurt) sometimes.

My recommendation is to do these things more often for shorter periods of time to help build up your strength and balance, and then slowly make the time periods longer. And always remember, the class is for you so if your body needs a break then it is no shame to take a break. You're just getting started in this class and you might need some time to adapt.
re: pain in my hands
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jul 26, 2012 06:53 PM
A lot of people have shorter tendons in their wrists, lets face it, we're not quadrupeds any more and haven't been for a few years.

If you have tension in your wrists then prop them, either with a pad like this

www.merrithew.com . . .

Or a yoga block under each hand with your fingers over the edge of the block.

ReplySendWatch