Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Bonding Activities Ideas?
By RadRifleFabFlag5
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 PM

I need new ideas to help bond my guard. I've already heard ideas such as Big Sister Lil' Sister, Secret Pals, ect. as well as Parties. If anyone has any new ideas or some that are less heard of, I would be very appreciative.

2 Replies to Bonding Activities Ideas?

re: Bonding Activities Ideas?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 PM
I always do theater games to help with performance skills, but I find it's also great for bonding. You can buy books that list hundreds of theater games exercises. A lot of them can be done in under 5 minutes.

Trust exercises are good too. Like falling backwards off a table and having people catch you. Or blindfolded obstacle course. You can find a lot of examples of both theater games and trust exercises online.
re: Bonding Activities Ideas?
By twirldad
On Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 PM
I do this thing with my kids to build teamwork. Everyone gets into a large circle, have the kids about feet apart from the person on either side of them. Hand a koosh ball or similar soft ball to one of them. The rules are you always have to throw to the same person and you can't throw to someone who has already gotten the ball. It's no fun to just throw it to the person next to you, so I make them throw to someone across the circle and in no pattern. For the first round of this, I have them sit down once they've gotten the ball (including the person you hand the ball to). That way everyone can see who hasn't gotten the ball yet. This gives everyone the chance of getting the ball (not just the popular kids). After they figure out who they throw to, then let them do it on their own without any direction. After they've thrown the ball around the one time, introduce a second ball. Watch what happens --- usually the first time, they are dropping the ball and not paying attention. Let it go for a couple of minutes. It's because they're not paying attention to the person they're supposed to -- in guard, in drum corps, in school, etc, there are times when they should only pay attention to one person. Usually this is their coach, their instructor, or the person in a certain spot of the drill design. In this case, the person who throws to them represents that person that they need to pay attention to. The ball represents the skill they're learning, so if they don't get it the first time, they may need to pick it up and move on. Once you've had this discussion with the group, introduce a third ball. I always hand the ball to the person I originally gave it to, so the throwing rotation always starts at the same place. Once a third ball is introduced, again, let them go at it and just watch. (you quickly find out who the leaders are -- they will step up/speak up when something goes wrong). It usually takes about 10 minutes to do this and it's a team building thing, it lets them remind themselves about focusing on the right thing, and it's fun. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch