Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Modeling & Pageantry
Suggestions for 2-min. ballet solo for 6-year-old beginning ballet student?
By Phx115 Comments: 10, member since Mon Jul 09, 2012
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 04:35 PM
Moved to Modeling & Pageantry by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-07-11 19:44:05 If this is for a pageant we do have a forum for that.

I'm thinking of something from Nutcracker but there are so many other pieces of music I love. However, this is for my 6-year-old daughter who is just beginning classical ballet training. Think simple tendus, plies, passe, echappe and the like.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 Replies to Suggestions for 2-min. ballet solo for 6-year-old beginning ballet student?

re: Suggestions for 2-min. ballet solo for 6-year-old beginning ballet student?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 AM
At this age, you don't need to do a classical style piece usually- she could be a character or a chicken, rabbit etc... maybe she could be a favourite book character, and you could use that as the theme for her solo.
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 01:34 AM
That's a great idea! That broadens the choices tremendously!
re: Suggestions for 2-min. ballet solo for 6-year-old beginning ballet student? (karma: 1)
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 01:45 PM
My suggestion is "don't." Analyze the classical ballets, you will see that 2 minutes is longer than all but a very few solos. It is a LONG TIME to be on stage, a LONG TIME to command someone's attention, and altogether too long for the typical beginner 6-year-old.

If you want to do solos, I would have a group of kids dance a group piece together, with brief (10-second) solos in the middle of it.
By CarabosseKPremium member Comments: 1778, member since Fri Feb 22, 2008
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 02:20 PM
greenpumpkin wrote:

My suggestion is "don't." Analyze the classical ballets, you will see that 2 minutes is longer than all but a very few solos. It is a LONG TIME to be on stage, a LONG TIME to command someone's attention, and altogether too long for the typical beginner 6-year-old.

If you want to do solos, I would have a group of kids dance a group piece together, with brief (10-second) solos in the middle of it.

My suggestions is along those lines. I don't think it's a problem for her to do a solo, but I do think 2 minutes is a pretty long time for a 6 year old. What is this for?
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:22 PM
It is for the talent portion of a National pageant. She has had 2 years of creative movement and 1 year of ballet/tap/jazz (we have since left that school ... competition and recital oriented) She did a 2-minute solo jazz/acro kind of dance at the state pageant but another 6-year-old did a ballet number (although it was more like 1 min. 30) and it looked fine. The ballet number wasn't to a classical song, though.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 PM
This is clearly not serious dance training going on here. I wish to have nothing to do with 6-year-old beauty pageants.
re: Suggestions for 2-min. ballet solo for 6-year-old beginning ballet student? (karma: 1)
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:22 AM
greenpumpkin wrote:

This is clearly not serious dance training going on here. I wish to have nothing to do with 6-year-old beauty pageants.

First of all, what is the point of your post? You added nothing but meanness to a genuine question.

Second, my daughter has just begun studying elementary ballet at the Rochester School of Dance (the most prestigious pre-professional ballet school in the metropolitan Detroit area and some of its graduates are members of the NYCB, Ballet West, Miami City Ballet, etc.). We switched her from a competition-oriented school.

Third, my daughter won her very first pageant (which gave her the trip to Nationals) and this pageant system (Miss American Coed) does not allow makeup, fake teeth/hair, spray tans or anything like that. They are judged on 2/3rds interview and 1/3 poise in their long evening gowns. They place high value on community service and academic achievement. Talent is an optional contest.

In my opinion, dance/ballet competitions (of which I abhor) are even worse than the tasteful pageant in which my daughter will participate.

Please do not insult something of which you know nothing.

ReplySendWatch