Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Advice with work?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 03:31 AM

My partner and I have been renting for a while and recently the rent went up from $600 per week to $800 per week. It's ridiculous!

We're planning to move out in 3 months time when I get time off work and he has more time at home.

In the meantime, how do I manage the finances? I earn $650 a week from working at 2 different dance studios, 5 hours a day, 6 days a week. On Sundays I sometimes get to teach an additional 4 hours of private lessons, but it's not all the time.

My partner is in the military and his pay comes fortnightly. He's fairly new to the military so his pay isn't that much and gives us $670 per week ($1340 a fortnight).

It sounds like decent enough pay between the two of us, but we plan to buy a house soon and it requires an upfront payment of $30 000 plus legal fees totalling to $45 000. Also, if we subtract all of our weekly expenses like food, transport, bills, rent etc we are left with only $220 at the end of the week.

What I am trying to ask is this. Would it be worthwhile to take up a third job elsewhere? I have already taken as many classes as I possibly can.

7 Replies to Advice with work?

re: Advice with work?
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 AM
Since you are only planning to stay in your current living situation for another 3 mo., then you are only talking about an additional $600 coming out of your budget. Why don't you just to to keep your expences to a bare minimum, and you should have enough enough extra cash to cover the next three months of additional rent. Next, you could temporarily always stop saving the additional monies for a short time as it sounds like you are saving up for your permanet home.....again you are only talking about 3 more months. Finally, to cover the extra rent, since it is only for a short time, can your boy friend get a loan from the Forces Aid Society, to help cover the termporary rent increase. Finally, could he also pic up a part-time job?? I know a lot of folks in the Forces who have work nights in the Commissary, the BX, Morale Services, or just delivering pizzas to help with their monthly expenses. I've done it myself once when I wanted to buy a second car and wanted to put a sizeble cash down-payment on it.
re: Advice with work?
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:03 PM
$200.00 per week extra, for 3 months, is actually an extra $2400.00 that is coming out of their budget due to this increase.

Since you'll be moving soon-ish, could you cancel your cable and home phone and manage just with a cell phone for the next 3 months? That could save you a couple hundred bucks over the next few months, for sure.
re: Advice with work?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:07 AM
If your partner is in the military, are you eligible for housing with DHA? The rent is subsidised, and is a fraction of the amounts that you are paying/will be paying. Plus they will pay for your moving expenses. Look into it, currently there are quite a few houses and townhouses in Gungahlin (I see from your profile that you are in the -ACT), but there are also a few places around in other areas, especially if you don't mind a unit or townhouse.
Being a military partner can be really hard, so the military support families and partners in numerous ways. Don't assume that you can't get help with things like housing, because you should be eligible.
re: Advice with work?
By Leigha_Ballerina Comments: 490, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 03:18 AM
Edited by Leigha_Ballerina (52163) on 2012-07-16 03:32:15
Edited by Leigha_Ballerina (52163) on 2012-07-16 03:32:37
Something is wrong - I did think that rent jumps like that were allowed .

There are limis on how much rent can go up based on the CPI . . .

The rent may only be increased at intervals of at least 12 months from either the beginning of the agreement for the first increase, or after that, from the date of the last increase (cl 35);

• The landlord (or agent) must give the tenant 8 weeks notice in writing of their intention to increase the rent. The notice must include the amount of the increase, and the date on which the increase will occur (cl 38);

• If the tenant believes the increase is excessive they may apply to the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (ACAT) for a rental rate review.
re: Advice with work?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:05 PM
Oh sorry, there is a typo. I was meant to write '...and recently learnt the rent went up...'

Sorry. I was in hospital for 5 months and my partner managed the finances. I just got out and learnt about the price having gone up. Also, we received rental assistance while he was in training so we paid $600 rather than $700 (which isn't much since I was working at the time I was paying), but since he is out of training, it's a bit everywhere. I can cope with the $700, but the $800 ($789), I cannot.

I'd have to look into DHA, but the thing is, we only currently need a temporary solution since we are going back to Sydney once he completes his special forces training. When in Sydney, I'll have to be close to the city and I have doubts that DHA would have a property for us.

Also, I question our eligibility. We won't have our civil union finalised until February when the wedding will be on.

And thank you everyone for trying to help. It's definitely given me a few important things that I need to discuss with him over the dinner table.

And Gunghalin looks like a perfect place! Thanks!
re: Advice with work?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 PM
I'd really recommend getting into a DHA property if you can. If you go to Sydney and DHA don't have any suitable properties, you can go into private rental and they will subsidise it so that it costs the same as a DHA property would. And wherever you go in Australia, the DHA rental is the same, so that military members aren't disadvantaged by different costs of living in different posting areas. And it is a lot cheaper than rent in Canberra or sydney! As in, we pay in the order of $250 per week, because that is what the rent would be in some areas of Australia.
Being a military partner can really suck, sometimes we need all the support possible because it can be so hard. Hopefully you can get some support from the military network too.
re: Advice with work?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 09:55 AM
Oooh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you so much! :)

This has helped us a lot! We're going to be moving out into a new apartment very soon and with subsidised payment! This is so fantastic. Now I'll have more money for pointe shoes and fulfilling the Aussie dream. :)

Thanks so much. It means a lot! My partner knew about DHA, but he has other priorities when he comes home (like sleep), so it was great that you told me so I could sound remotely intelligent and get him talking. :P

Thanks. <3