Forum: Arts / Photos - Members

Photos - Members
DDN Meetup in Iceland. Dancegirl90 and Chaconne (karma: 1)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:26 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2012-07-15 12:44:48

Dancegirl90, Terry, and Chaconne, Jon, have been friends on-line for nearly three years now and have spoken on FB and MSN nearly every day during that time. Last week (July 10, 2012) they finally met up in Reykjavik, Iceland for the first time in person, when Jon and his wife took a week's vacation to Iceland. We met Terry and her boyfriend, Gunnar, first at an ice cream store where Terry once worked.[There is great ice cream in Iceland.] Terry then led Jon and wife, Joyce, on a tour of Reykjavik. Jon has been trying to learn the Icelandic language on-line and Terry gently corrected some of his pronunciation at his request. Jon's Icelandic is still at the "Me Tarzan, You Jane" stage. :P but the Icelanders he met were amazed he knew any of it at all. Most had never even heard an American try to speak Icelandic. Since his on-line Icelandic course is done by the University of Iceland [Háskóli Íslands], the tour also included a stop at the University Bookstore where Jon bought a college T-shirt from there, and a much needed Icelandic-English, English-Icelandic dictionary (almost impossible to find in the USA.)

The second shot also includes Mrs. Chaconne (Joyce) as well. The photos were taken by Gunnar after the four of them had dinner together.

In addition to meeting Terry and Gunnar and doing the usual tourist things Jon also met a lady who had been an AFS exchange student at their high school in Wisconsin in 1958-59 when they were also students there.

BTW, there were no communications problems with this trip. Virtually every one they met in Iceland speaks English as well as any North American or Brit, typically with an accent closer to North American. Every kid studies English in school and most movies and TV programs are from English language countries.

Jon

2 Replies to DDN Meetup in Iceland. Dancegirl90 and Chaconne

re: DDN Meetup in Iceland. Dancegirl90 and Chaconne
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:38 PM
How awesome! I love seeing DDN meetups! Kekoa/Kayla and I are shooting for meeting next summer sometime, it's been a few years in the making but we're determined to make it work this time!

Iceland is a beautiful country, I've never been there but what I've seen is just gorgeous. And Jon, I've never seen a picture of your wife before but she's just adorable! You two are so sweet together.
re: DDN Meetup in Iceland. Dancegirl90 and Chaconne
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:34 PM
^ I'd love to see the Krystal/Kayla meetup...I think you guys were twins separated at birth!

Jon

ReplySendWatch