Forum: General / Ballroom / Salsa

Salsa
Trouble learning salsa
By BrentB66 Comments: 8, member since Mon Jul 16, 2012
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 PM

Hi. I just need some advice. I've been trying to learn salsa dancing for about a year and a half, and I"m having so much difficulty, I'm thinking of giving it up. My girlfriend has been doing it for 12 years, and so has my coworker, who teaches. They have both been working with me for the past year and a half. I've had 10 lessons, and we usually go dancing once a week, or every couple weeks. I can't seem to get the hang of it. I still havn't figured out basic moves like a ladies turn and a cross body lead. My girlfriend always criticizes me, and we always end up arguing. I'm an accomplished musician, and I thought dancing wouldn't be this hard. Any idea how long it takes in terms of years to become jusst an average social dancer ?

3 Replies to Trouble learning salsa

re: Trouble learning salsa
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 05:16 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2012-07-16 17:33:57
Did you take the lessons alone or with your girlfriend? I do think you'll need more than ten lesson to adequately dance with your girlfriend who has been dancing for so long. edit: looks like she is teaching you? Bad idea.

She needs to cool it and learn to be patient with you. Not everyone learns at the same rate. When I was teaching ballroom I hated teaching couples. It was usually a mess because the lady usually picked it up faster and started telling the guy what to do. Then they guy gets frustrated and wants to give up.
By BrentB66 Comments: 8, member since Mon Jul 16, 2012
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 07:41 PM
Hi. I took the lessons alone, which were taught by my coworker. The girlfriend can't really teach me because she doesn't know how to lead, and doesn't know the lead moves. She never had a lesson and just picked it up from going to the clubs. The other thing that is frustrating to me, is that when I go to these clubs, she dances with all the good dancers, and I just sit there watching. She should be dancing with me so I can get more practice. None of the other girls will dance with me because I'm a beginner.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 01:58 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2012-07-17 13:59:29
Well, I think she should dance with you, that isn't fair! I went to a salsa club with a boyfriend (now an ex) and he wouldn't let me dance with anyone else. He didn't know what he was doing so I just back-led him through some basic steps.

I would say dance with her and she should be happy to just do the steps you know how. Keep taking lessons, cross body lead is hard, it takes practice!

Ladies turn...you keep doing the basic just use your hand to draw a halo over her head. Just have to get the timing right!

Learning from a video isn't the best way but there are some videos on youtube that might be beneficial to watch.

ReplySendWatch