Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Should I not do pointe?
By gaby_loves_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 04:22 AM

So I did ballet for two years before I went up on pointe, my feet were strong enough and I was doing well in my technique so my teacher said it would be ok for me take a beginning pointe class where I attend college in the dance department. I took the pointe class and I knew my feet were going to look bad, but I just love ballet and I will do all that my body will let me do.

I have been dancing only a little for the past year, so I know that before I go back to pointe I will have to take classes regularly and condition for a while to rebuild strength and technique, but should I just give up on pointe all together?

I was just rereading some stickies and I saw on the pointe post that some dancers should not do pointe and it made me wonder if I'm one of those people. I dont know if you have seen my photos, but my feet look awful, I think that I could get some improvement, but I know I wont make that line ever, I guess I have to be ok with that, but when I read that post I just felt defeated.

www.dance.net . . .

6 Replies to Should I not do pointe?

re: Should I not do pointe?
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 05:32 AM
Give it a year. If you don't improve in a year, then make the decision. You might surprise yourself.
By Elindranythmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 02:03 PM
Have you tried changing your shoes at all? Sometimes it can be something about the shoe that holds you back. I wouldn't expect miracles, but the next time you get shoes you might think about getting refitted to see if perhaps there's a better shoe for your foot and your needs, in addition to continuing to work on flexibility and strength in your feet and ankles.
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 07:58 PM
Elindranyth wrote:

Have you tried changing your shoes at all? Sometimes it can be something about the shoe that holds you back. I wouldn't expect miracles, but the next time you get shoes you might think about getting refitted to see if perhaps there's a better shoe for your foot and your needs, in addition to continuing to work on flexibility and strength in your feet and ankles.

I am going to try Gaynors next time because they have a low vamp which when I tried that shoe one compared to their regular vamp made a bog difference and I'm sure with more strength that I will get over on to the box, but that sticky was just so harsh about the line from knee ankle to big toe. I know I'll see improvement with different shoes with a lower vamp and strengthening exercises
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 08:44 PM
I've tried many different shoes and the only paste shoes that worked for me, after my first ones (my feet toned and changed shape over the three years of pointe I did) was Capezio Plie 1. THEN they stopped making those.

Now I have Gaynors and get THOSE even MORE custom-made than what's on their site. Which reminds me....I'm on my relief pair so need to re-order. I have to phone in my order for them!!
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:38 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

I've tried many different shoes and the only paste shoes that worked for me, after my first ones (my feet toned and changed shape over the three years of pointe I did) was Capezio Plie 1. THEN they stopped making those.

Now I have Gaynors and get THOSE even MORE custom-made than what's on their site. Which reminds me....I'm on my relief pair so need to re-order. I have to phone in my order for them!!

Yea my next ones are the low vamp sleek heel narrow 2 box. I think these will fit a lot better. a lot of the other shoes I have tried on don't fit because although they have a low vamp the box is not tapered. I hope Gaynors work for me because I have always wanted to try them since before I started pointe, but I wanted to try traditional pointe shoes before trying Gaynors. If that doesnt work I think Russians might have a low vamp, but I wont be doing pointe for another 6 months at least so I can get back my technique and strength.
By WeLiveLaughDance
On Wed Aug 01, 2012 01:44 PM
Hope you find a shoe that fits. Happy dancing. :D
Marie.

ReplySendWatch