Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Summer reading for school :(
By BrookeLOVESdance Comments: 16, member since Tue Jul 12, 2011
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 08:36 AM
Edited by BrookeLOVESdance (237973) on 2012-07-20 08:38:49

Sometimes I don't understand why they still give you so much work during the summer. Well I do understand why we have to do it, so that we keep up with school, but anyone would say that it is boring too. We have to read 3 books in my school. Then a report on one of the books. Also math work. School can get very frustrating at times with so... I'm going to try get all my work done in the beginning of the summer and then just have the rest of the summer to relax with my feet in the sand. I would say that is the best option....don't you? And sometimes it doesn't sound like much until we start actually put our heads in the books and start school again. Summer time to relax :)

How much summer work does you school?

3 Replies to Summer reading for school :(

re: Summer reading for school :(
By balletgirl125member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Sun Oct 18, 2009
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 04:39 PM
I just have to read two books for senior AP English, "Death of a Salesman" and "How to Read Literature Like a Professor". Sounds invigorating right? :)
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 03:32 AM
Before my junior year I had to read A Light in August by William Faulkner, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, and about fifteen short stories from American literature. I then had to memorize a lot of literary terms, and know all of the authors and which work they wrote that we had to read, and of course I had to know the novel pretty well, AND have a reading journal about them. And then we were given a 2.5 hour test the first week we got there. I had a lot of chemistry homework that summer as well, and about 600 vocabulary terms for my writing class. It was an awful but very productive summer.
The summer before my senior year was a lot more relaxed, as I only had to read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, which I managed to knock out before summer even started. I also spent that summer at a six week academy studying video game design and programming so I didn't really relax, just focused my mind elsewhere for a while.
The summer before my freshman year in college I was supposed to learn this programming language, but I ignored that. Instead I went to Morocco to study Arabic, where I had about 1-2 hours of homework every night for two months. Once again, not really a relaxing summer but totally worth the knowledge I gained.
This summer however, I have done a lot of relaxing. I didn't have any reading or assignments to do, so I took up recreational reading which has been really nice. I can't stand not feeding my mind. I also started reading ahead for my classes in the fall, and catching myself back up in Spanish so I won't fail that class since I haven't taken it in over a year.

I just personally don't want to stop learning, so I did do all of my summer reading and work. I think having a long break makes it a lot more difficult to get back into studying and learning, so I try to keep going throughout the summer.It is important to have fun and enjoy your summer, and I have enjoyed all of my summers even with the heavy work loads.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:38 PM
You guys are lucky your summer breaks are long to get the work done (we only get 4-5 weeks off in Australia) so Dec-Jan.

I believe these summer holidays I had a a massive ENglish assignment, two novels to read and miscellaneous work for maths and sciences.

ReplySendWatch