Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

Need help finding a ceili class to attend or other TCRGs in training to study with in my area
By SophiaOlympia
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 06:33 PM

So I've been studying for my TCRG in Arizona this past year and I've just moved to Michigan due to my fiance's job. In Arizona my dance school was letting me teach classes and gave me students to work with for ceili. Now I'm here in another state and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if there are some local ceili classes I could attend or other TCRGs in training who would like to study together??? I really can't do this on my own. I'm in the Troy area in Michigan. Thanks so much for your help.

6 Replies to Need help finding a ceili class to attend or other TCRGs in training to study with in my area

re: Need help finding a ceili class to attend or other TCRGs in training to study with in my area
By Sakura_Efreet
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 07:21 PM
Ardan Academy has classes all over the area where you are. I'm not very familiar with the cities around Detroit, but you can see which of these locations is closest to you:
www.ardanacademy.com . . .

Also, Flanagan-O'Hare has classes in the area as well. They are about a 15 minute drive from Troy:
irishdancemichigan.com . . .

The Tim O'Hare (not the same O'Hare school) school also has classes in the Detroit area, but parts of their website are down and I can't find any info on their classes.

I also live in the area. My teacher is certified with CLRG but she is currently teaching open-platform. If you are ever interested in open platform dancing, feel free to contact me and I can give you my teacher's details. There are several open platform options for dancers affiliated with two different open platform orgs.

Best of luck with studying for your TCRG! I hope one of these schools suits you.
re: Need help finding a ceili class to attend or other TCRGs in training to study with in my area
By colleeflower28
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 07:27 PM
Sakura_Efreet wrote:

My teacher is certified with CLRG but she is currently teaching open-platform. If you are ever interested in open platform dancing, feel free to contact me and I can give you my teacher's details.

Just a word of warning about this. If you are planning on doing the TCRG exam with CLRG I would absolutely NOT recommend you involving youself with an open platform organization, or any organization other than CLRG for that matter. Just to clairfy, I am not trying to attack any other organizations.

If open platform is something you are considering by all means give it a go but do not get involved with them hoping to advance up the ranks of CLRG (from dancer to TCRG)
By Sakura_Efreet
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 02:26 AM
As a former CLRG dancer, I would never jeopardize a dancer's future in CLRG by having them learn/teach with us. That's why I said IF you are ever interested in open platform... And that's also why I listed all of the CLRG contacts and none of the open platform ones, including my own teachers info.
By SophiaOlympia
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 AM
Thanks so much. I got in contact with the Flanagan --O'Hare School and he's not interested in a student sitting for the exams. Tim O'Hare won't get back to me. The Ardan Academy locations are too far. I just started at Goggin-Carroll in Windsor, but they don't have any ceili classes which is my main concern :/
By AsheDiochra
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 09:27 PM
colleeflower28 wrote:

Just a word of warning about this. If you are planning on doing the TCRG exam with CLRG I would absolutely NOT recommend you involving youself with an open platform organization, or any organization other than CLRG for that matter. Just to clairfy, I am not trying to attack any other organizations.

If open platform is something you are considering by all means give it a go but do not get involved with them hoping to advance up the ranks of CLRG (from dancer to TCRG)

Certainly not an attack — just truthful. A good word of warning (and I'm coming from the open platform side).
By colleeflower28
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 01:55 PM
Sakura_Efreet wrote:

As a former CLRG dancer, I would never jeopardize a dancer's future in CLRG by having them learn/teach with us. That's why I said IF you are ever interested in open platform... And that's also why I listed all of the CLRG contacts and none of the open platform ones, including my own teachers info.

Sorry if you read it that way but I wasn't trying to attack you or accuse you of trying to stear someone in the wrong direction. Just wanted to make sure the OP undersood that multiple movements between organizations are not encouraged or looked well upon.

ReplySendWatch