Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Solo Choreography- PLEASE HELP
By Coraline17
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 07:44 PM

For my studio auditions, I have to do a Contemporary solo. The song is Frost by Rachel Sage and it is cut a to legnth of three minutes. I, however, am having an extremely hard time choreographing a dance. Maybe it's because I am nervous, as the auditions determine what level classes I get placed in and I;m shooting for the most advanced level this year. I am 15 years old and have been dancing since I was 11, with 6 years of competive gymnastics previously.Also, I cannot improv this as my instructer asks to see the solo twice.Any ideas of specific moves, exc I should use? This will be shown, on stage this coming Saturday. Help Please!

4 Replies to Solo Choreography- PLEASE HELP

re: Solo Choreography- PLEASE HELP
By SJTechniques
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 08:32 PM
Contemporary as defined by popular media, or Contemporary Ballet? And I only ask because you posted in a Ballet forum so I was curious.

I'm also thinking maybe three minutes is a bit long. Not only because it's an student audition piece (I assume by your description) and they can usually see what they need to see (technique, musicality, showmanship, etc) in less time, but also because you have no idea what to do. Without inspiration three minutes can be a very long time to fill. Do you have to use this song? Would it be possible to choose a song that connects with you in some way, that you can already imagine yourself moving to? Especially since the audition is so soon!

I may be in the minority here, but I like to see student/placement audition pieces between one and two minutes. It's short yes but I don't expect a feature piece and I feel it allows me enough time to see what you're best at and make an assessment. An audition is somewhat like a physical interview: highlight your strengths, show me what makes you unique, get a little personal so you stick with me after it's over.

Comment #9981131 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-07-23 14:22:19 Ooops, double post, thank you for reporting it.

By Coraline17
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 09:06 PM
Contemporary as in Lyrical Contenporary, I just didn't know where to post this since it was Choreography. I do have about 45 seconds completed but I do have to use this song. The cutting is 3 minutes 20 seconds. I just didn't know what part to cut out if I was to shorten it more. The guideline is that it must be 1:45 long.
By Coraline17
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 PM
And I can get the song down to about 2:40 but that's all

ReplySendWatch