Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish
How can I get my dance teacher to notice me more? en>fr fr>en
By trebletreble Comments: 125, member since Wed Apr 14, 2010
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 AM

She only really has her favourites, so the rest of us are beginning to feel a little left out. I rarely receive feedback on my dancing to know whether I'm doing okay, or if I need to improve on anything. Instead, I'm kind of just teaching myself really.
Don't get me wrong, I love my dance teacher, but I'm just not getting anywhere whenever I go to Feis.

6 Replies to How can I get my dance teacher to notice me more?

re: How can I get my dance teacher to notice me more? en>fr fr>en
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7286, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 AM
Have you talked to her about how you feel like you can absorb more corrections and would like more feedback on your dancing? Sure, it's a teachers job to be as impartial as possible and we don't always succeed, but we're not mind readers either...if there's something important you need to improve you dancing, tell you teacher!
By irishdancechickmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 286, member since Mon Jul 28, 2008
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 03:36 PM
I understand your pain. Perhaps you could ask an older dancer, or one of your friends to watch you as you dance at practice? When I go to class, our teacher will focus on groups of 2-3 for 5 minutes, and she switches so we all get time to show her our steps and ask questions. I'm sorry that you have to feel left out :( I feel that sometimes, teachers let classes get too big and for the dancer it becomes a waste of time. I would talk to your teacher and let her know that you are curious as to whether you are improving or not. Or you could approach her with pen and paper after class, and ask her if there are any areas for you to particularly drill throughout the week and write them down. In my mind, that would really show her that you are serious about the practice you put in and she might notice you more then?
re: How can I get my dance teacher to notice me more? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17049, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 03:49 PM
A lot of dancers fall into the trap of thinking that only the corrections specifically directed at them, are for them. But corrections given to other dancers could easily apply to you too, so make sure she sees you working on those things. Maybe after she's given some feedback to the favourites, go over and ask if you can practice that thing with them?

Teachers like kids who show commitment. They often despair of kids who think they don't need to be dancing when the teacher is looking at someone else. Keep working as much as you can through class, even when you're not being watched. Don't use the excuse of "oh I'm saving my energy for when I have to dance for the teacher" - I used to love that one but it doesn't do your stamina or your general technique any good. Keep going, make sure she never sees you sit down (and I mean because you're NOT sitting down, I don't mean go and hide :) )

Take notes - on other people's corrections as well as yours.

Help out with the little ones if possible.

Practice at home, using your time wisely and being really focused on a particular thing to improve - then when you feel it HAS improved, go and ask her if it's improved! "I've been working really hard on turnout in my jig, can I just show you my lead round? Is it any better?" - if she says yes, ask what to work on next!

Basically, without looking like a suck-up, you need to make sure she knows that you care and that you're working, that you're worth the input. Teachers are often drawn to the more hardworking kids because they know it's not going in one ear and out the other. They know they're not "wasting their time". If you can show you're working and improving I'm sure she'll be more inclined to give feedback.

I was a teacher's pet at my first class but I never really got any feedback further than "work on it" so I know how you feel - I wish I'd done some of the above, but it didn't occur to me at the time to put effort in, ha.
By AinetheDragonPremium member Comments: 2333, member since Tue Jun 25, 2002
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 06:22 PM
Mostly, what Louise said!

You say you rarely receive feedback, but what do you do with the feedback you get? Make sure that whenever the teacher says anything that you are following up, practicing with the intent to improve that thing, and trying to do it better the very next time you dance and every time after that. There is nothing more frustrating for a teacher then to say "cross your feet" every class, see it change in the next run through, and then see it back to the same the next class over, and over, and over.

Don't wait for your teacher to correct you specifically. Apply every correction to yourself, whether its given to a favorite, the whole class, or you directly. Often times a favorite is in fact a very accomplished dancer. If they need to fix it, probably you do to, or you'd be as accomplished as they are. Even if you already do this or that thing better than the favorite, chances are you could do it better.

Ask questions. Don't whine or complain about not getting feedback, that's not productive. Ask specific questions. "Am I crossing enough on this part of my 2nd step?" "Is this timing right in my set?" "can you help me with this turn, I can't seem to get around?" When your teacher does show you something or explain something, avoid saying "I don't get it" or "what?" but don't just pretend you understand if you don't. Ask a question like "so which foot do you land on first" or even just "can I see it one more time, slow?"

Practice at home, and practice at class. Come in on time, ready to go. Start working immediately. If the teacher is talking to a parent or busy with some pre-class business, start warming yourself up or practicing while you wait, don't just sit in the lobby or studio waiting for them to tell you what to do. When it's not your turn to dance, try to stretch or practice (if you can without disturbing those whose turn it is). If you can't do that, watch the other dancers. Pay attention to what they do and how they do it. See what looks good and what doesnt. When you see someone do something that looks bad, consider that feedback of what to fix in your own dancing. When you see something that looks good, try to emulate it.

If you spend your undirected class time sitting around talking or texting on your phone, don't expect your teacher to think you even want their attention. If you come in late, and then take 10 minutes to put your shoes on, why would your teacher think you care about what they have to say?

I'm not saying that you do these things specifically, but look closely and harshly at your own dance class behavior, and make it clear through your action that you are dedicated, hard-working, and willing to listen and accept criticism. I'm also not saying that the favorites will always do things right, but if YOU do them right, it's very likely to get noticed in a positive way.
By ID_Addict Comments: 1173, member since Tue Dec 15, 2009
On Thu Jul 26, 2012 03:32 PM
Everyone has given good advice, so I'll just add a little bit from personal experience.
My TC tries to give everyone feedback in every class but I've noticed that after a while she stops if she finds herself saying the same thing over and over to a certain dancer. What I mean is that if she says to me "you need to cross more in that step" and then I do it the next time but after that go straight back to not crossing enough then after a while she'll give up telling me to cross because it's seemingly a waste of her time.

I'm not saying this is your problem, because obviously I haven't been in a class with you or seen you dance, but it is something to consider. And even if you can't get it right quickly just make sure that your TC can see you're trying and working on what she's saying because if it doesn't look like you're trying they'll just give up on you.
By grace1997 Comments: 37, member since Mon Sep 03, 2012
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 AM
Ask her, sounds weird but ask her what you could do better andsay your not placing at feises, you could also tyr moving your dance and getting in her face, that way if your good she'ss complement you or ignore you, but if she sees a big mistake, shell have to tell you! My teacher didnt notice me until i did a makeup where only two other girls went, and she really fixed up my dances, see if you can do a private or something!

ReplySendWatch