Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Beginning Lyrical Soon.. What to expect?
By jessianne13x
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 07:25 PM

So, I am currently taking ballet, and I have decided to begin lyrical. I'm 17, so I'm starting a bit late, but it's something I'm very interested in. The only problem is, I have no idea where to begin. What kinds of clothes and shoes will I need? How can I begin preparing for this class? What is an example of what class will be like? thanks! :D

-Jessica

2 Replies to Beginning Lyrical Soon.. What to expect?

re: Beginning Lyrical Soon.. What to expect?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 07:44 PM
Well, this is something that could be slightly different at every studio. You will still be in dance clothes just like ballet, although there are some studios where people don't wear tights for lyrical, and instead do leo and dance shorts. Some people like hair in a bun, some pony, some half-up, and some completely down. I prefer pony or half-up. Some people do lyrical barefoot, some in dance sandals, some in ballet slippers.

These are all questions that can be answered by your studio. Call them up and ask what their dress code is for the lyrical class, and their hair requirements.

You don't really need to "prepare" for class in any other ways, but if you want to do some home stretches or watch some videos to get an idea of the style, that's something you can do. I do recommend that you get a dance notebook you can take to class, and write in right when class is over. You can write down combinations, names of steps, or corrections you want to work on before next class.
re: Beginning Lyrical Soon.. What to expect?
By dancer7210
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 04:58 PM
Every studio has different requirements for what you wear so you can ask someone who has taken a yrical class at your studio or a teacher. The only way to really perpare for this is to stretch alot and practice conveying emotions when you dance! Otherwise there is really not much to prepare for!

ReplySendWatch