Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Miller and Ben's shoes. Some help please?
By KaydeeJayde
On Wed Aug 01, 2012 08:52 AM
Edited by KaydeeJayde (238321) on 2012-08-01 08:57:04

Hey guys. I know this kind of question probably gets asked a lot on the tap boards but I did a search and didn't really find the answers to my questions so I figured I'd post.

I posted a few days about a lot of foot pain I've been having, and I've been sent off for lots of tests and stuff, so no word on what's wrong though. I saw a physiotherapist and a myotherapist within the last few weeks who have mentioned that my tap shoes (which are less than ideal fitting) might be causing some of my problems.

At the moment, I'm wearing blochs, and they're too narrow for my feet. I've also tried capezio which just didn't fit well, and I didn't like the sound, and energetiks brand, on which the heel snapped off when I was tapping in a performance on the third wear, so I'm not ready to trust them again just yet.

So I'm looking at Miller and Bens. I only take one class a week, but am looking at starting more before the end of the year. Do you guys think it'd be worth it? I'm willing to spend the money, but are they as good as everyone says they are? How long will a pair last?

Also, I seem to have strangely shaped feet. They're quite wide. The styles of the M&B that I'm looking at (the t-step and the classic jane) don't come in wide sizes, only narrow and regular. How wide is the regular? I've been in correspondence through the website, I'm waiting on a reply for this one. I'm really worried about the shoes not fitting once I get them, is there any way for them t fit me, like if I send/fax a cut out of my foot or something?

Anyways, I know this has been long, so thank you for bearing with me if you got this far :) Thanks for any help :)

6 Replies to Miller and Ben's shoes. Some help please?

re: Miller and Ben's shoes. Some help please?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 PM
You can exchange them if they don't fit. The leather will stretch, so if it is a little tight, it will probably be fine. But if it's extremely tight then get a wider size.

I just stood on a ruler, my foot is approximately 3.5" wide and I ordered the "regular" width. I have the "La Coquette" in a 37 1/2.

So, I take it you are wanting a character style shoe? Broadway Diva comes in a wide width (though, it laces instead of buckles).

They might be able to custom make you some shoes.

I am looking in the catalog that came with my shoes:

When ordering high heel shoes, such as CJ, NSG, TS and LC, order "regular" if you normally wear "wide" and "narrow" if you normally wear "regular."
By KaydeeJayde
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 03:13 AM
Oooh, thank you so much for that measurement and for your help! I just got an email back from Ofer which helped a lot also.

Hopefully I'll be ordering them today :D SO excited!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 04:54 AM
Awesome! I love my pair of Miller and Ben's. They sound amazing and they are pretty comfortable too. I'm sure you'll love your pair as well.
By Lisa05
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:49 AM
I have two pairs of the T-strap Miller and Bens. When it comes to dances that we need to dance in heels, I won't wear much else. Some of the girls in our group tried capezio, bloch and others and they snapped off the heels dancing. Those shoes just aren't made for serious, hard tapping. The Miller and Bens are made with much more support not only in the heel, but in the entire shoe. The sole build up allows you to still perfrom toe stands fairly comfortably in heels. Some dancers in my group also wear the coguette and broadway diva, both nice shoes. If you purchase custom colors, you cannot exchange or return so keep that in mind, stock colors can be exchanged. FYI: if you are used to dancing in a capezio or bloch, the miller and ben heels are a little higher and take some geting used to.

The t-strap and jane both run a little wider. I generally wear a narrow and the narrow is a bit big on me so a medium might be ok on you.
By KaydeeJayde
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 03:59 PM
Oh, that's awesome to know, thank you so much for your help! I decided to get the regular width (the widest they have in the t-step) with toe orthotics enabled which makes it a bit wider still, according to Ofer Ben. And if they don't fit, the school I dance at has offered to buy them from me because I bought them in my school's colours (dark purple and baby green). So that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thanks again for the help, you're awesome!
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 07, 2012 07:01 PM
The orthodic enabled toe should give you enough room, especially if that's what Avi and Ofer have told you - they're awesome about really working with people to find the right shoes for their feet.

Miller and Ben's are by far the best tap shoes I've ever owned, and I'm sure yours will be worth the investment. Just a forewarning, even with the right size and width, they are VERY stiff and hard to put on when you first get them, but after a few hours of class, the leather softens up a lot.

ReplySendWatch