Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Something wrong with my demi-pointe shoes. Help!
By balletgirl4ever
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 PM

Hey, I was looking at my demi pointe shoes and I noticed something weird. The sole on the bottom of the shoe did not cover the whole bottom of my foot. There is an inch or so (all of my heel) is not covered by the sole, only by the canvas. Is this normal for demi-pointe shoes?? It kind of hurts where there is no sole.

12 Replies to Something wrong with my demi-pointe shoes. Help!

re: Something wrong with my demi-pointe shoes. Help!
By RosePremium member
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 PM
I think you are talking about flats? Completely soft shoes I mean.

Because what you describe is normal for ballet shoes, not matter soft, demi-pointe, of 'hard block' pointe shoes. When you point your foot, your footsole becomes smaller. That is why any ballet shoe sole is smaller than your foot. Or else it would stick out when you point your foot.

By using them, it flattens under your heel and you don't feel it anymore.
I do hope you started with soft shoes before you got demi-pointes.
By balletgirl4ever
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 PM
Thanks for explaining, and yes I did mean the demi-pointe shoes. I did start on flats before I moved onto them, I wasn't really explained much about ballet shoes and what they are made like. What my problem is is why do they hurt my heel loads when I walk on them? I just thought that it might be because there is no sole there under my heel. Its sore on my heels when I dance and I wasn't sure why.
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 01:01 AM
I've noticed that it differs between brands. For instance, I 100% can't wear Sansha because the sole digs into my feet and feels like how you're describing. However, I don't have that problem with Bloch flat shoes. Maybe thickness of the sole?

I think your best bet is to just experiment with makers to see what works
By balletgirl4ever
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 AM
thanks yeah i think it is the brand. I didnt have a problem before though,only in the last few weeks. Its time I got new ones anyway. Im not sure if any other brand in a shop near me does the demi-pointe (soft pointe) shoes though. I could only find Bloch in the local dance shop
By RosePremium member
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:46 AM
^Ha ha! I have the opposite. I love Sansha's, but the soles of Bloch were so thick and hard, I slipped on them! Didn't wear them off completely, threw them away when I fell again :(.
But that is about the complete sole, I can't remember specific heel problems.
By balletgirl4ever
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 01:06 PM
haha thats so weird, complete opposite problems with the same shoes! Maybe its just my feet are strange.. Sansha does a pair? could you get them online?
re: Something wrong with my demi-pointe shoes. Help! (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 02:41 PM
Demi pointes are made in exactly the same way as pointe shoes, just without the double, inner back that enables you to do pointe with the shoe. This means that the sole won't come to the end of your heel because your foot compresses as it goes onto pointe, if the heel of the shoe reached to the end of your heel then it would stick out beyond your foot on pointe.

Your softs are fine.
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:21 PM
I was talking about -and I think others were too- split sole.....I'm not sure if it makes a difference (I haven't worn full sole since i was 6)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:38 PM
I haven't heard of a split-sole demi pointe, although I'm sure they exist. Part of the reason for wearing demi-pointes (that my teachers told me) is to get used to balancing and dancing on the sole/shank area of the pointe shoes, which are smaller than soles on completely soft ballet slippers.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.ballareteatro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/271-Split-Sole-Ballet-Slipper1.jpg'
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:55 PM
AAAGH! I feel so stupid, I've only heard of demi-pointes here, and at my studio we call flat shoes demi-pointes because you're on a 'demi-pointe' while wearing them....sorry for that, and Alwaysonstage- the picture you posted is what I was talking about
By hummingbird
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 08:46 PM
As you can see from the picture that AlwaysOnStage posted the heel of the sole doesn't go right to the end of the dancers foot, for the same sort of reason I went into above. As you pointe your foot you're contracting all of the muscles under your foot so the underside of your foot will reduce in length.

If the heel of your shoe went right to the end of your own heel then it would pop out as you pointed.
By balletgirl4ever
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 PM
Ah, I understand now about why the sole is smaller, it makes sense now that I think about it! thanks everyone! I still dunno why it hurts my heel, but I think that might just be because I'm not very used to wearing them. Sorry for the confusion everyone about the demi-pointe (soft pointe) shoes. I meant basically pointe shoes without the shank, haha I was really unclear there. We have to wear the soft pointe at my studio for a year (or however long it takes) until your ready to go on pointe :)

ReplySendWatch