Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

Question on associating with other dance organizations.
By SophiaOlympia
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 06:23 AM
Locked by SophiaOlympia (248752) on 2012-09-21 05:40:25 Don't require anymore answers.

I have danced and taught with CLRG for 12 years in Arizona. I just moved to Michigan and can't find a CLRG school that will help me finish studying for my TCRG exam that I take next year. Now I just got offered an assisstant teaching and performing position at a WIDA school 20 min from me. I don't want to compete with them or become a member. I just want to dance with the performance troupe and practice my teaching skills as an assisstant to get some.experience for my TCRG exams. Is this illegal in the CLRG organization or will it hurt my chances of becoming a certified teacher? What are the rules concerning. Association with other organizations? ?

7 Replies to Question on associating with other dance organizations.

re: Question on associating with other dance organizations.
By AsheDiochra
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 05:59 PM
There are no rules, but there are preferences. I would suggest, if you want to be a member of CLRG, to keep looking for a CLRG sponsor teacher.
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 06:05 PM
Is there an official rule? No. But I would love to see the look on the CLRG examiners' faces when you tell them you've been training with WIDA. That would be a priceless shot :D
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 08:28 PM
I would make sure you make the WIDA teacher fully aware of your intentions, theres nothing worse than thinking you have got someone to help out, like a new member of the school, only to find that they leave to join another organisation, it really makes the teacher feel used, so make them aware before you dance with them or help with the teaching
By SophiaOlympia
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 PM
Thank you for your replies. I really didn't know anything outside of CLRG. I spoke to the teacher, let her know my intentions and she gave me some info on WIDA and NAIDF. So I've got some thinking and decision making to do.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 05, 2012 04:18 AM
It sounds to me like the teacher you talked to is interested in having you become a teacher for WIDA or NAIDF. If you were clear on your desire to become a TCRG for CLRG (golly, how many more random letters can I type?), and she passed you information on other organizations, I wouldn't use her as your resource to work towards your personal goals.

Now, if learning about WIDA and NAIDF makes you interested in those organizations, and you decide to leave CLRG, that's a totally different story.
By rosalinde
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:30 PM
WIDA style is quite like CLRG, and I believe the ceilis are the same.

I agree with Jono: make sure the WIDA teacher knows you have no intention of joining WIDA. If she's okay with that, it would be a great opportunity to keep practicing. If she insists that you join WIDA, then you have some serious thinking to do.
By colleeflower28
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:19 PM
My answer hasn't changed since this thread

www.dance.net . . .

There are several CLRG schools in the area and if you are planning on doing the TCRG exam with CLRG I would absolutely NOT recommend you involving youself with an open platform organization, or any organization other than CLRG for that matter. Just to clairfy, I am not trying to attack any other organizations. If open platform is something you are considering by all means give it a go but do not get involved with them hoping to advance up the ranks of CLRG (from dancer to TCRG).

Multiple movements between organizations are not encouraged or looked well upon. Many TCRG candidates study independently. If you are already at Goggin Carroll can you see if you can keep the kids for 15 min after class and do a ceili each week with volunteers?

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed