Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Jazz Progress
By gnrdancer Comments: 116, member since Thu Sep 08, 2011
On Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 AM

Hey ddn.

So, I've had 3 lessons of Jazz so far, and loving it! It's been moving pretty quickly, there are only two other students and one is taking exams so he needed to finish learning the dance relatively quickly, and so we did too - in three lessons! I'm quite proud of myself. I'm still a bit lost in some parts but I have the general gist of it. One problem I've found with Jazz is having my feet in parallel - so awkward for a turned out Irish dancer! And when they talk about arm positions and even some leg positions in ballet terms I need to quickly figure out what they mean. Looks like I'll be doing some research..

There's a sale at Bloch this weekend so I'm getting Jazz shoes and new dance clothes, which I'm excited about, too :)

We have a new teacher this week so I'm a bit scared as I just got used to the first teacher, but I think it will be okay. Although I'm not progressing as fast as the others, I'm allowed to stay in the class as long as I'm having fun, I've been told, which I am :)

Ahh I just can't wait until I know enough to perform!

gnrdancer

3 Replies to Jazz Progress

re: Jazz Progress
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Mon Aug 06, 2012 01:08 PM
Glad you're enjoying your classes, and it sounds like they're going well!

I wonder if this sticky might be of any use to you with regards to positions / terminology...

www.dance.net . . .

Apologies, I haven't had a chance to check out all of the links it contains, but it looks like there's some useful info there.

Hope you get some cool stuff in the Bloch sale too. :)
By gnrdancer Comments: 116, member since Thu Sep 08, 2011
On Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 PM
Ah, thank you, I totally forgot about the ballet boards.

There was a link there that had positions which was helpful, thank you :)
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 05:34 PM
Great! The ballet positions are pretty easy to pick up on! Thats amazing that you are new to the style and can learn a dance in 3 weeks if you are not farmiliar with the style!

ReplySendWatch