Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

What is lyrical dance?
By GummieBear
On Fri Aug 10, 2012 06:43 PM

I have seen a lyrical performance at my recital, but what is it exactly?

What do you gain from choosing this type of dance?(like, flexibility and strength from ballet.)

Do you perform barefoot?

Also, the lyrical performers were riding on each others back and rolling on the floor alot. Is that what they do?
Or did the teacher make up the moves?

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS AND SET GOALS
*GummieBear*

4 Replies to What is lyrical dance?

re: What is lyrical dance?
By hummingbird
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:48 AM
If the dancers were getting it right in the lyrical performance you watched you would have been able to see the emotion you could only hear in the music.

I always say to my students, if I switched off the music halfway through your dance I shouldn't miss anything because I should still be able to follow what the song is about through your movements and emotion.

You can dance bare foot though a lot of teachers and choreographers prefer a shoe of some kind.

When you're portraying raw emotion the movements have to show what that emotion is and sometimes rolling on the floor might be the only way of showing this. It's all up to the choreographer as to what is appropriate.
By GummieBear
On Mon Aug 27, 2012 08:01 PM
Thank you for the info...I am thinking of taking a lyrical dance class. But, I'm not sure, yet.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS AND SET GOALS
*GummieBear*
By dancer7210
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:28 AM
Lyrical is mostly about emotion. Almost any moves can be used in this style as long as it helps to tell the story that you are trying to tell so i dont know if the teacher made up thoes moves but if it helped to vet the story across then she did a great job choregraphing the dance! Hope that that helps!
By cwillams
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 04:12 PM
Here is how I describe lyrical dance to my students and potential students. Lyrical dance combines ballet with the freedom and expressiveness of jazz, contemporary and modern dance. It is expressive, but at the same time can be subtle and dynamic. For example lyrical choreography can be gripping and beautifully delicate, at the same time. The primary focus is on conveying musicality and emotion through the dancer’s movement. The dancer’s movements, feelings, and breath are connected to one another and to the music.

ReplySendWatch