Forum: Highland / Highland Photos - Members

Highland Photos - Members
Tartan Cookies! (karma: 2)
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 01:57 AM

I made these cookies in January (and have been meaning to upload them since then!)

I'm a big fan of the tartan cookies and cupcakes...the highland dancer cookies didn't turn out so great after I iced them (so I'm not bothering to share those pics;)

I tried to ice kilts and hose, etc., onto the dancers, but they looked horrible. The cookies themselves are ballerina cookie cutters which I posed into highand positions before baking- the 'kilt' was the ballerina's tutu!

Overall I'd make the cookies again and again, they're SO easy to make look nice. I even brought them for my studios kids and the examiner for exams this year, but would never make the dancers again....they looked kind of scary!!!

Cupcakes were just as easy as the cookies! My next task is to actually copy real tartans!

9 Replies to Tartan Cookies!

re: Tartan Cookies!
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 02:02 AM
Just realized in the top right of the first pic there are 2 decorated dancers...those two are definitely not winning any 'best dressed' awards anytime soon....
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:29 AM
Dancingqueenkirs:

I am SOO impressed! How did you do this? did you do a standard butter cookie recipe, and then add all those great tartan patterns on them?

How lovely!

Love them ALL!

Wouldst be willing to share recipe and strategy?

:)

I LOVE inspired creativity!

S.
By Skyesbridge Comments: 320, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:41 AM
Ohh Kirs,

You've too much time on your hands. ;)

Great Job!
re: Tartan Cookies! (karma: 1)
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:49 AM
Hi S!

I'm assuming you're asking about the tartan/argyle cookies and not the dancers- I welcome anybody who can decorate the dancers properly to please share photos, because I honestly hoped the iced dancers would turn out better than they did!

For the tartan cookies and cupcakes, I cheated and bought a betty crocker sugar cookie recipie. The icing has to be the type that hardens- I bought mine from Bulk Barn; it's pricey but not too bad. It's called "Royal Icing", which basically means after you ice, it hardens and you can stack your cookies. (This doesn't work on cupcakes; which means they can't stack, and will get ruined. And they will. The cupcakes got stacked and turned into a tartan mess).

With the royal icing, you'll need piping bags- I bought 8 I think, as well as tips, all from Bulk Barn. I spend no more than $20 for all of the supplies. There are a thousand tips available, but I only needed maybe 5 tips- the more you have, the more creative you can get, but you could probably get away with 2 tips, a wide one for the thicker stripes, and a tiny circular one for the others.

If you google 'flooding cookies' you'll see the background part- that was something I'd never heard of, but you basically take the circle cookie, use your circle tip, and outline the cookie in, say, red icing. You then take the icing and water it down a bit after the outline has dried, and 'flood' the interior; this makes your background.

After that, it's all about creativity. If I had more icing bags, I maybe could have had more fun with this....I ran out of mixing bowls.

I can't get the cupcakes right...they apparently taste right according to my studio's young students- every cupcake batch goes to Sunday night dancers lol. But they never seem to look as good as the Royal Icing cookies!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:51 AM
These are some fine looking cookies.

Would you mind posting the picture, recipe and directions over on the Cookie Swap thread?

www.dance.net . . .

It's my "go to" page for all cookie occasions and these look like a perfect addition to the collection.

Keep On Dancing*

ps I'm out of karma to give away today, but I'll sprinkle some your way tomorrow...

xoxo
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:56 AM
Hi Skye!

If I had more time I wish the dancers would have turned out better!

I made these for a Robbie Burns night, and was pressed for time last minute...surprisingly the cookies were SO easy and quick to make- you fly when you get into the whole tartan-pattern thing.

The dancers were a whole different story. I sat with trays of blank cookies and fired off tartan after tartan, but the dancers just mocked me with the detail they needed. I'd love to see proper ones iced and made up!
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:58 AM
Sure, no problem- consider it posted- I didn't know there was a cookie thread. I'm limited to tartan, only- I won't claim to have any talent but tartain-izing baked goods;)
By stevenerinhill Comments: 30, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 04:10 PM
Your cookies are amazing! I really admire your creativity. The highland dancers look great even when they're not iced. :)
By Melpomene Comments: 1230, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 PM
Those look like so much fun! (as well as tasty) Great job :)

ReplySendWatch