Forum: Welcome

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Beginnings workshop experience, it was not good
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 05:19 AM
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this workshop but since I haven't been involved directly I can only go by word of mouth from people I trust...and won't comment either way.

I will comment on this: Telling people to go to your website to read unsolicited letters of recommendation is fine and dandy, but we all know you aren't posting the negative ones. I'm currently working with a company that specialized in reputation marketing and I know how we manipulate reviews and form them to look good on a site, and I know how companies bury bad reviews. In marketing seminars we are told people believe about 50% of your website because it is obvious you are going to portray all the good stuff...that is common sense. People actually put more value in Yelp and other review sites. Not saying they are better or even remotely accurate, but testimonials on your website aren't exactly the best defense against bad reviews in my opinion.
By petersklar
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 02:18 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-10-05 08:51:54 Did you read any of your Mod reports? Do not post links to your site, this is against the TOS of DDN.
Well, I tried. The fact is that it’s as rare to hear anything positive about the workshop in these “communities” as it is to find alumni who don’t enjoy their experience.

One poster claims we “know who each other is”. Another proudly declares “we know a lot about a lot of our members!” and expresses disdain that I’ve only posted here “54 times”.

And in response to thousands and thousands of enthusiastic kids and parents, there’s: “I know how we manipulate reviews and form them to look good on a site, and I know how companies bury bad reviews…”

Speak for yourself. We don’t do anything even remotely like that. The fact that you do, and that you’re comfortable enough with it to admit it publicly, speaks volumes about the cynicism and lack of integrity of at least one member of this “community”.

For those of you whom the above poster does not speak for, you might consider that if so many regulars here manage to get us so profoundly wrong, logic dictates they get lots of things wrong.

Our problem is that they do it publicly.

A true internet “community” is a chat room.

Take care of yourselves.

Peter Sklar
re: Beginnings workshop experience, it was not good (karma: 1)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 02:45 AM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-10-05 02:47:49
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-10-05 02:48:50
If you don't just use the positive reviews on your website then let me ask you a question, will you be putting this one up on your website?

I understand your need to protect your business, I really do. But suggesting that we are liars and illogical is not the way to go if you want us to believe what you're saying about your workshop as opposed to what the negative reviews are saying. You've only ever commented on posts about yourself. Have you even had a look around the rest of the site? Do you even know what we discuss here? If you're as amazing as you say you are, you would probably have a lot to add here. And the members on here actually respecting you (rather then sighing and saying "here comes Peter to defend himself" whenever seeing a post about you, which is what I do), might actually do more to discredit the negative reviews that you get on here. Imagine if we'd all been able to say in reply to this post, "No, Peter's a member on here and he's not arrogant or condescending at all." The negative review would have had a whole lot less sting.
By Tishwah
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:16 AM
SiyoNqoba wrote:

Imagine if we'd all been able to say in reply to this post, "No, Peter's a member on here and he's not arrogant or condescending at all." The negative review would have had a whole lot less sting.

And this is EXACTLY the point I was attempting to make with my comment about "54 posts" (without disdain by the way, but since you seem determined to see the bad in our community, go ahead, tell me what I was thinking and what I meant).

petersklar wrote:

And I 100% disagree with this statement(respectfully).
re: Beginnings workshop experience, it was not good (karma: 2)
By hummingbird
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 03:15 PM
I have a colleague who took some of her students down to this camp and when I quizzed her about this post she said that she had heard it had made 'a bit of a stink on the internet' and then went on to confirm what the OP had said.

The dance world is a small one, teachers find ways to network with each other and DDN is one of those tools available to us. You really would have done better to use it rather than abuse it Peter.

We're not children, we're not stupid and we're obviously a bit more internet savvy than you are if you think that a chat room is the only and most up to date form of community that there is online.

By the way, we do have chat rooms here, does that make us an internet community now? I have to say they're really not used any more because chat rooms are about 10 years out of date.
By vista5Premium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 AM
Edited by vista5 (178705) on 2012-10-05 11:11:55
To imply that we all only jump in to bash organizations is false and insulting. There have been many times that someone has written in to complain about a bad experience with a dance workshop or competition and others have replied with examples of why they love attending that one and what a terrific organization it is. I myself have complained here about my not so great experiences with a certain touring Nutcracker company, only to hear from others how much they look forward to joining with them each season. No, we are all bright enough to realize that no matter how good you are, you can't please everybody. As an SO, I know that there are people out there that I will never be able to make happy. I let them go. I know that I have a very successful business and it is not worth my time or energy to wage battle with someone who clearly cannot be won over. We share our ideas and opinions on this board. We don't always agree. Debate is good. Peter, you thanked me for my suggestions earlier, but didn't seem to think they were worth responding to. Is it so hard to admit that something could have gone wrong with one person? I know even when I do have that truly unsatisfied customer - that I will never win over - I still step up to apologize for anything that did go wrong on my end. I may not be able to fix it to their satisfaction, but I can acknowledge it. So for instance, how hard would it be to say, "I can't believe anyone on my staff would ever tell a child to wet the bed rather than allow them to go to the bathroom, but if I ever learned that someone did this, they would be gone."

Peter, I think it is obvious to everyone here that you must be doing something - most things - right. You have a hugely successful business, and it is clear you have helped many young people on their paths to success. Every business will have naysayers. I don't think you need to be quite so defensive. At any rate, you are out of line demeaning this forum. If you don't like it here, don't participate. Let it go. Peace out.

Take care of yourself.
Leslie Connaghan
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 06:00 PM
I hate that I'm out of karma today. Some days I can't give it away, today I would pay real money for some "roll over karma" to bestow here.

It's time for me to go to work, so I can't write the full reply I'd like to regarding Mr. Sklar's point of view and communication skills. However, I applaud everyone who took the time to post, including Mr. Sklar, and encourage anyone who has ever had a wonderful experience with the food or child care (yes...these are children...)to post as well.

See y'all later.

Keep On Dancing*
By Goldfingers_Girl
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 08:39 PM
I originally read this post without having made any connection to Mr Sklar or his company. I really had no idea what; “Beginnings Workshops” were. Only when Mr Sklar posted his first comment in defence of this post did I recall his screen name and a previous thread. I would like to note that the only thing I do remember about that previous post is the name “Peter Sklar” and what I perceived as an unprofessional approach in relating to the members of our community. I did not remember the negative post toward his business practice, rather his previous comments on dance.net were how my opinions were formulated of him and his company. There is nothing wrong in depending oneself, however; doesn't it become more damaging than beneficial when you are alienating a large group of people by doing so? I feel like you are making the assumption that “we” are all uneducated gossipers, considering the way in which you speak to us. Is it not possible that you are creating a distaste for your name in members of this community that are just as, “highly respected” as you believe yourself to be? Anonymity does not equal stupidity!

I would not like to direct this comment any further towards, “petersklar” as, (in my opinion) his lack of respect towards this community does not warrant any further responses, however; I would like to comment about our community in general, by saying that, I respectfully disagree with Mr Skylar's over generalizations regarding our online forums and feel that in my experience as a ten year member of dance.net; this site has many, many, many members who are professional, respectful, highly educated, intelligent individuals who do not use these boards for, “gossip” but rather to positivity seek to enhance and improve themselves and others!

Thank-you
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:21 PM
Our problem is that they do it publicly.

No kidding...that is how people review businesses now. This forum reviews dance related items. If you are on a cooking forum they are reviewing restaurants and other things publicly. You are not going to be everyone's cup of tea. That is okay, but the crazy amount of defensiveness does give people like me a moment to think that if you are this way on the internet practically badgering people with an opinion, how pompous must you be in person and why would I pay for that? Again, this is based only off the posts I have read.

That may be your opinion, but I've been a member of this site for a decade now. I feel I'm part of a community. I have real friends that I have met here, and people I have hired from this site. A community is a social group sharing common characteristics or interests. So no, a chat rooms is not the only definition of an internet community.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch