Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 28 29 30 31 32
Beauty
Pretty Nail Addict
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 06:09 AM
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2015-10-21 23:37:02

I have really been into doing my nails for maybe the last 2 to 2.5 years and I did gels, acrylics, regular polish etc. but it was all in the salon and it just got WAY to expensive. So I figured I would start doing them myself!

And let me tell you that there have been some VERY bad misses! haha but I feel like I am finally starting to get into my groove!

So I wanted to start a post where I could just keep track of all the stuff I did to my nails (Now that I think about it this might be considered a Diary, so mods, please if it needs to be moved, do your magic!).

The first picture is what I just did a few minutes ago. Gradient nails have been around for a LOOONG time but I have never tried them until now. I'm pleased with how they turned out but I would have liked to get the colors to blend more. But that is a matter of practice.

The second picture is of how my toes are now, nothing fancy but I love the color!

The 3rd & 4th are from 4th of July. Both the blue and the red are Sinful Colors and the stars I used a konad stamper, with white konad special polish.

The last picture is when I tried my hand at Water marbling for the first time a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. I really liked it but it is REALLY time consuming and the whole downstairs smelled like nail polish and acetone for like 4 hours.

I have done some really cute stuff and I wish I had more pictures! But anyway from now on I'll post them here. I usually do my nails about once a week but I just might wait after a few weeks and post a couple.

So what do you all think? DDN fashionistas do you have an suggestions for me? Or any questions? I didn't include the names of the polishes I used because it was so many different pictures, but if anyone actually wants to know just ask :)

787 Replies to Pretty Nail Addict

re: Pretty Nail Addict
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 06:18 AM
Cool! You have impressed me. :)

I've never been to a salon before (nails or hair!), so I don't know much about that and what they can do. I paint my own nails (or if my mom gets frustrated with me "painting outside of the lines" she'll do it). I just stick to the basic one color look. Though for Halloween I made my nails have bats and Frankenstein's monster.

I have a ton of nail polish. Most of it is Butter or OPI.

Oh, I have done the Sally Hansen nail polish strips before and they are really cool.
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-08-12 00:31:27

Thanks Majere! You reminded me that I have used the strips as well, but I haven't gotten a chance to use the Sally Hansen ones(because I can only get them when they are on sale), but I have a bunch of the Kiss ones. I've only used them once because I'm waiting for my nails to grow out again because I feel like I'm wasting them on my short nails right now.

This is the only picture I could find that shows them, but I was holding a ball python at the time so its not that good.

That is cool that you decorated your nails for Halloween! I wish you had pictures! :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 06:37 AM
I know what you mean about letting your nails grow for those strips. I felt like I was wasting it with my short nails. Half of the length of the strip went into the trash.

I wish I had a picture too! I used a glow in the dark green as the base and black for the bats etc. My dance students thought it was super cool (but they were like five years old so...).
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 06:52 AM
You know I saved the strips I didn't use and I used cuticle scissors to cut them down to size to fit on the tips of my nails and did like a punky french manicure. I also had enough left to cut them into strips to put length wise down the center of my nail.

So thats one way to get a little more use out of them!

I have a few glow in the dark nail polishes from kits but I have never gotten around to using them because I was afraid they wouldn't hold very well and they would just peel off. I had this problem with one before but it was super cheap haha
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 09:38 PM
Wow! Your nails are amazing! I wish I could do cool stuff like that to mine! I'm not skilled at all and have a hard enough time painting them a single color.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 PM
I've done a messier marble look by painting 3-4 layers of polish in different colors and then using the stick to swirl them. It's not as neat and pretty, but it takes WAY less time. I generally do it on my toes if I'm going to where neatness doesn't count as much. Maybe I can come up with a way of doing it that gives a more polished (no pun intended) result. If I do, I'll let you know what I did.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:46 AM
Oooh, that gradient looks awesome! Spiorad (and any other nail art lovers), are you on Tumblr at all? They've got some great nail art blogs on there you could follow.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:47 AM
Those are all so pretty! I'm going to try water marbling for the first time tonight, we'll see how it goes!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Aug 15, 2012 02:22 AM
Pretty pleased with how it turned out for a first try.
On Thu Aug 16, 2012 01:35 AM
^Oh wow Amylia I really like how they turned out! Especially the one with the pink base and the green going through it and the one with the blue base with the pink & yellowish green going through it.

I don't know what you use around the rest of your nail so that you don't get the polish everywhere but I used to use tape and then I discovered that Vaseline (petroleum jelly) works even better! You just rub it around your cuticle and around the rest of your finger and when you are done it wipes right off.

*Cien, I don't have a tumblr but every so often I've seen some really cool things! I'm going to have to go look more often.

PS - I found a lot on ebay for 3 OPI nail polishes in the DS series and I have never bought one before but I LOVE the OPI DS Extravagance and it just came in today along with OPI DS Magig, and OPI DS Reserve.

They all look absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to experiment with Extravagance on Sunday when I paint my nails again!
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 07:19 AM
Yeah... I really should have just stuck with the OPI I had planned on doing because this took WAAAAY longer then I care to admit. In the end I just kind of got frustrated, the idea was a lot better in my head. It is supposed to be cupcakes but I can't decided if they actually look like cupcakes, or I just WANT them to look like cupcakes XP haha
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:34 PM
Those look great! I watched a tutorial for those. My issue is I can do ok on my left hand, but when I paint my right there is no hope. So most nail art is totally out for me. Sadness.

Thanks for the vaseline tip! I will totally try that next time, seems a lot less hassle!
By staygold123 Comments: 482, member since Sat Jun 28, 2008
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 AM
Spiorad, those cupcakes look absolutely adorable!
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:30 AM
I don't have the patience to do anything fun, but I wish I did. I just painted my nails today. I finally broke down and bought the expensive Butter London stuff. I was really interested in their base coat, so I decided to just splurge and get the top coat and 1 color with it.

I got the color "Scoundrel" and I quite like it. Still had to do 2 coats of it. Here is what it looks like (not my fingers!)
Image hotlink - 'http://www.vampyvarnish.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/butter-LONDON-Scoundrel.jpg'

Just as I suspected, I love the base coat/foundation. Wish I would have gotten the matte top coat though. I think I saw it there, but for some reason I just forgot about it because they had a package where you could get the base coat and ultra glossy top coat for $25 (usually $13 each). Oh well, when I run out of this stuff I might try the matte top coat.
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:57 AM
hooray4jj wrote:

I don't have the patience to do anything fun, but I wish I did. I just painted my nails today. I finally broke down and bought the expensive Butter London stuff. I was really interested in their base coat, so I decided to just splurge and get the top coat and 1 color with it.

I got the color "Scoundrel" and I quite like it. Still had to do 2 coats of it. Here is what it looks like (not my fingers!)

Just as I suspected, I love the base coat/foundation. Wish I would have gotten the matte top coat though. I think I saw it there, but for some reason I just forgot about it because they had a package where you could get the base coat and ultra glossy top coat for $25 (usually $13 each). Oh well, when I run out of this stuff I might try the matte top coat.

I love Butter!

The first pic is all of my Butter nail polish (minus top and bottom coats). Second is my entire nail polish collection.
By ash007 Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 24, 2012
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 PM
hiya, love the patterns on your nails! maybe add more colours to your designs?
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 01:23 PM
Thanks StayGold!

Hooray4jj - If you want an inexpensive way to get the matte top coat look
1) NYC has a cheap one out (I think at Target)
2) Get a lint free towel and some rubbing alcohol and put some on the lint free towel. Rub it over your DRY nail and it will make any nail polish matte.
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 01:26 PM
Another vote for the NYC matte top coat, I love it. The first time I used it I was skeptical because until it's fully dry the matte effect doesn't show up (on me anyways) but as soon as it dries it is a completely matte look.
On Tue Aug 28, 2012 02:49 AM
So here is my newest set :) I feel like it came out really well but I need to find a better top coat because my Sinful Colors one made the design bleed a little. Usually I use my fast dry top coat by Sally Hansen, but I could not find it so maybe I will give that one another try.

I just don't want to spend a ton on the Konad special top coat but I think I just might since I would only use it when I do designs and use my Sally Hansen one when I don't.

The bottom coat is a really beautiful blue called Magic from the DS collection. It has purple tones to it and I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow in the sunlight!

PS- I haven't cleaned up around my nails yet so it still looks really messy! Please ignore XP
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 03:48 AM
Hey ya'll I just got the new Ulta catalog, they are doing the 21 days of beauty thing again! On 9/10 all Butter London nail polish is buy 1 get one free!
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 AM
oh my god, this is like my dream thread!! Im kind of obsessed with nail painting, but haven't tried any nail art yet, just plain colours. I have sooo many nail polishes though. I love essence for 1 euro, even though their soo cheap they are very very good quality. Everyones nails look amazing by the way, love them all.

can anyone tell me how to do the gradient blue/green/silver nails that spiorad did.
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 PM
Hooray4jj you should not have told me! I might as well just sign over my check to Ulta now! haha

Balletgirl, the gradient nails were actually really easy to do.
You'll need:

1) The colors you want to use
2) Make up sponge
3) Top coat

Put the first polish you want to use on the sponge and dab it on to your nail, working your way from the base of the nail up. Do the same with the other colors, slowly getting darker. Before it is completely dry put on the clear top coat. This will help blend the colors together so it it is a smooth transition from one color to the other, rather than color blocking.
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:39 PM
Thanks so much Spriorad, I tried it with different colour pinks without you advice on how to do it and it turned out like 3 block colours. Ill use a make-up sponge next time and hopefully it'll turn out good.

Also, one other question (sorry but Im kinda borrowing your ideas for nail art, I just think its soo cool and you're amazing at it! Do you mind? Ill do them in different colours). What do you use to do the white stars and lines and stuff on your nails?
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 PM
^ No problem! I know there are other methods to doing gradient nails but the makeup sponge one is what works best for me. Especially because makeup sponges are so cheap so its not a huge loss if you mess up and have to use more then one.

And don't worry about taking my designs, psh! This is why I made this thread so we could all share :) Copy them and show pictures! haha

For the 4th of July nails the red and blue polish is from Sinful Colors and the white is Konad special polish. I used a Konad plate M3, and I used the two star designs it has. I just alternated which one I used until I was happy with it. This is also the only Konad plate that I have.

For the one with the zebra print (I think that's the other one you are talking about) I used a Bundle Monster stamping plate BM-223. The base is an OPI DS color and the white is Konad special polish.

Like I said I only have one actual Konad plate and the rest are Bundle Monster (I got on Amazon), and I have a few Salon Express plates (as seen on TV and bought at Walgreens for about $10.00).

If you are looking to get stamping plates I would suggest not getting Konad unless you really have to money for it. They are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I got over 20 stamping plates from Bundle Monster on amazon for less then $20.00. That is enough to buy MAYBE 2 Konad plates and 1 (maybe 2) Special polishes.

I don't really like the Salon Express ones because there is only 1 plate of full nail designs but they are to small to really fit on your whole nail (especially thumb) and it is a real pain. Also, the rest of the designs are SUPER basic and chunky so they can be a bit boring and they don't fit on my pinky fingers all the time.

I did get an actual Konad stamper off of amazon and it is WAY better then the one I got in the Salon Express kit.

I also think that we should all post our nail polish collections like Majere did! It'll be fun to see all the colors and stuff. I'll try and get one up this weekend.
Page:
Page 1 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch