Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 24 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 20, 2013 09:36 PM
Okay, I got a question. I got an email from Ulta saying I can get an OPI gel color nail service, for $10 and it's normally $25. I've never gone anywhere to get my nails done. What's the protocol? Will they file my nails? Do I have to tip? etc. I have no idea. I just know I have to make an appointment.
By Spiorad
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 01:06 AM
^They will do everything that needs to be done to prep your nails, but I suggest not wearing any rings or bracelets because sometimes they can get get in the way/get wet and stuff.

Think of it like going to get your hair cut. Just show up clean and tidy and they will do what they have to. It is also customary to tip.
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 09:58 AM
Spiorad wrote:

^They will do everything that needs to be done to prep your nails, but I suggest not wearing any rings or bracelets because sometimes they can get get in the way/get wet and stuff.

Think of it like going to get your hair cut. Just show up clean and tidy and they will do what they have to. It is also customary to tip.

I've actually never gone to get my hair cut at a salon either, my mom cuts my hair (and she is really good).
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:17 AM
My mom gave me a manicure for an Easter gift. They did everything like the poster said but I didn't like how they didn't clean the implements after they finished w/me. I'm fine, I don't have any nail infections or any problems but how do I know the person before me didn't? If they didn't clean for me, they didn't clean for the person before me and before them, etc. I went to another place that did clean. I guess it just depends. I liked having it done though so I was pleased.
By Spiorad
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 01:56 PM
^ I know that you can always take your own manicure set for them to use. But yeah, always make sure that you are going to a professional place that cleans all their instruments.

When I used to go get my nails done they would clean the things after each person, but the rule was the customer had to be on the way out before the nail tech could start cleaning. I asked once why that was and they said it was so that the customer wasn't ignored.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 06:49 PM
I see what your saying about giving the customer the full attention but the other place I had my nails done they put the implements in a solution in a jar or glass after they finished using them on me. It was right on the table where they were doing my nails. So they were soaking in something even if they did clean them after I left. At this place where I just had my nails done, the manicurist left and I went to dry my nails in the front. I never saw her again so she probably wasn't coming back to clean them. That's what bothered me. I have more left on the coupon so I will get them done again. I only have a nail file, I don't have the other implements so I can't bring them or I would.

I can't wait to use my new polish. Oh yeah, I found that nail polish I was looking for that I lost for a while. I knew I would. I also can't show you my last polish that I had on my nails. I had to take it all off because it looked so awful. Let's hope I can scan this one when it's on and it doesn't all chip off.
By Spiorad
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 09:42 PM
Then don't go back. If you feel a place is unprofessional and unsanitary, don't go back. It wouldn't matter to me if I had a gift card to spend, if it's that bad it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Also, manicure sets are actually pretty inexpensive. You can pick them up almost anywhere for just a few dollars. The one that I carry with me in my purse was about $4 at walmart and as I have collected tools that I prefer, (a cuticle pusher rather than trimming scissors, crystal file rather than metal, straight nail cutter rather than curved etc) I have switched out the items as needed.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 AM
I nearly forgot to tell you all about the new nail display at Walmart! It is super awesome. They have a dupe for the OPI spotted. I didn't get it, but I googled it when I got home and it got OK reviews, people said it was difficult to work with (but so was the OPI).

Anyway, I was really excited to see some nail tape! I have been wanting to order some forever and just haven't for some reason. The nail tattoos caught my eye so I picked some of those up too.

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/SLLpp41l.jpg'

I haven't used the tape yet, but I will soon. I did the nail tattoos tonight and they were really easy to use. I cut them up into 4 squares, peeled the film off, dipped in water, and applied to each nail. They literally are just temporary tattoos like you would put on your skin. They stick will to your nail and it is easy to peel off whatever gets stuck on your skin if you peel it off right away. Otherwise you can use a brush and acetone to get it off, just like you would do any other clean up. I like these tattoos a LOT better than nail stickers, but keep in mind they are not opaque, so you still have to put a coat of regular polish down first if you want it opaque.

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/16VYdu8l.jpg'

Definitely recommend checking out your Walmart! I found someone else's picture of what the display looks like, I found it on an endcap near the Hard Candy polish. They are all really good prices. I forget, but I think each item I got was $2

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/x1zWHgYl.jpg'
By Spiorad
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 08:51 AM
^That is awesome! I heard about the new display through some nail art blogs and have been waiting for it to come to my Walmart. The last time I was there they had the display itself up but they hadn't filled it with products yet. :( Hopefully soon!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 AM
I love it and I love what you did to your nails. I have to get some. I have a lot of nail art, decals, rhinestones, ect. but I like this new stuff too. To bad it's only at Wally World because it's way up the other end of town & gas is expensive. I'd like it to be somewhere closer. I wonder if other places will start carrying it like K-Mart or Walgreens? They are closer to where I live. If not I'll make a trip up there.
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 PM
So they have those elsewhere? I'm not shopping at Walmart, but they look super cool.
By Spiorad
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 03:09 PM
^I'm pretty sure that brand is exclusive to Walmart Stores.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 07:04 PM
Darn! A trip to a store that I try not to shop at! Bummer! Guess I have to go back up there. My niece would love some too. I may surprise her w/some now that she is an official dancer w/The Orlando Ballet.
By Spiorad
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 PM
I would call first to make sure they have it up and ready. I know that not all stores get their displays at the same time.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Jul 24, 2013 07:18 AM
Oaky. I'll do that. Thanks for the heads up.
By Spiorad
On Wed Jul 24, 2013 02:40 PM
I was able to stop by Walmart today while running around and was able to pick up a few things from the Fing'rs line. The one I REALLY wanted was the PS- I love you decals but the display was pretty much down to the bare bones. So instead I got two polishes and the decal sets: Pow!Wow!Bam!, Love Me, and Map it Out.

I haven't tried any of the stuff out yet but I swatched the polishes, and while I like the formula, I am finding the same problem with the polish bottle/brush structure, as I did with Julep. Because of how long and thin the bottle is, this means that brush has to be really long and thin. Well that means when you pull it out there is polish build up on the brush. This is fine and happens with every polish so you just wipe the brush on the sides, but because of how long this brush is it takes forever for the polish to run down enough for you to wipe it on the bottle.

But if you try and paint your nails it will land you with a hug glob. Minor annoyance but we'll see what happens.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Jul 24, 2013 07:13 PM
I got some polish today and I spent what I said I never would on one. I swear it was cheaper then I paid so next time I go to CVS I am going to make sure I was charged the correct price. When she told me it was $28.10, I went what did I buy anyway? I needed a base coat. I have my new top coat. All I could find is Sally Hansen Salon Gel Base Coat and it had better be worth the $12.99 I paid for it. I also bought 2 bottles of Sally Hanson Fuzzy Coat. One is All Yarned Up and one is Fuzzy Fantasy. I want the yellow orange one too. For my niece's birthday my mom bought her some Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots in Pretty In Polka. She also bought her some nail stickers.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 06:12 PM
^ is this the base coat you got sallyhansen.com . . . ? If so, don't open it and return it. It needs to be cured and should be used along with other gel polishes.

CVS has at least a dozen good base coats, I could recommend several. First one being the Revlon Color Stay Base Coat. I am sure there is also a similar Sally Hansen one.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 07:25 PM
Shoot! I opened the box! Do you think I could glue it back? I just wanted to see if it was a black bottle in there like I saw on-line and there was and it was $12.99 on the CVS web site. What do you mean it needs to be cured? I now see it says must use w/LED lamp. I am going to return it. I'll look for the other ones you said. I had such a hard time trying to find anything that said base coat. Thanks for the heads up.

I re-glued the cover again. It was still slightly sticky so I added a little more glue. It's now good to go. Thanks again for telling me.
By Spiorad
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 08:21 PM
^If you have the receipt just take it back and say it was the wrong product.

It is a gel polish so it needs to be cured under a UV light. Curing means to make the polish harden. If you don't cure it it stays sticky. Sally Hansen is just one in a long list of nail care lines that has come out with "At home" gel polish kits. OPI, Finger Paints, Gelish etc. are all, basically the same, and require a curing light.

For a basic base coat I second the Revlon Colorstay Base Coat. It is really good.

Lately though, because my nails started peeling a little while ago, I got the Nail Tek II formula (which is amazing and has completely gotten rid of my peeling nails) and apply that first, then I apply a coat of coat of Gelous (reviews.sallybeauty.com . . .), this polish DOES NOT need to be cured, and it works AMAZING.

This is going to sound weird so just hear me out, but ever since I started using this combination my nail polish lasts really well, but when I want to take it off all I have to do is break the seal at my cuticle and peel the whole thing off. It makes clean up so much easier and since I like to change my nail polish pretty often it works for me.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 09:00 PM
I'm so gonna return it. I'm sure I still have the receipt. No wait, I just threw it away! OMG! I think it's in the recycle bin but I'm not sure! I only bought it yesterday. I have to find that receipt! Please pray I still have the receipt! I'm sure it will be no problem to return it but a receipt would be good too. Why did I throw it away?
By Spiorad
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 PM
^I'm pretty sure even if you don't have a receipt they will give you store credit.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 PM
I found the receipt! Yeah! LOL I'm going to look for the ones you guys suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions.
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 04:03 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2013-07-26 16:03:35
I got my nails done today. I got OPI's "You're Such a BudaPest"

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/IMG_20130726_165441_399_zpscc1646c9.jpg'

She clipped my cuticles. I've never done that before. She also suggested some products one was this: nailtek.com . . . and the other: www.amazon.com . . .
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
By Spiorad
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 07:39 PM
^ Very nice :)

There are differing opinions as to whether to clip cuticles or just push them back and I will that, for me personally, I have/had a horrible habit of picking at my cuticles when nervous/stressed. I haven't done it in a while but at their worst I would draw blood. Because of this it was actually better for me to get the scraggly pieces clipped so I couldn't pick at them anymore.

As for the products she suggested I can HIGHLY recommend Nailtek II. I use it and it has been a life saver. I have never used OPI Bond Aid but from what I have researched it really is only needed if you are planning to do your own gels/acrylics, or if your nail polish consistently peels off within a few hours or a day.

Anywho! I decided to try my hand at minion nails today! Unfortunately, my camera is lost in my disaster of a room so I had to take this with my iPod, but I don't think it came out half bad :)

Also, to anyone who missed Julep's last free first box promotion, they are doing it again! The code is 'FREEBOX'
Page:
Page 24 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch