Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 26 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 03:27 PM
I like that idea too. I remember you saying that the pink looked different on you then it did in the photo and about the streaking. I'd like to know that and see how it looked. I know when we are posting on here we want our nails to look their best but if we want to know how it looks, and if it streaks or whatever, we should see that. There are so many times I love the nail polish I've bought but then there are times that I wish I hadn't bought that polish for whatever reason. If I had known ahead of time what I knew after I bought the polish, I never would have spent the money. I know it's not a lot of money but when your not working much, you don't want to spend money for something that isn't worth it at all.
By Spiorad
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 03:46 PM
But some of it CAN be expensive. At least expensive for a nail polish.

Polishes can range from 99 cents (sometimes even less for SUPER cheap quality ones) all the way to $20 or more. A lot of places (like with me buying from Zoya) charge shipping as well, so that has to be taken into account.

I looked up the price of the coral color I have on Zoya and, just for that one polish, it would be about $15 (including shipping). Now of course the argument here is to buy more polish to make the shipping charge worth it. But I know for a lot of people that is not always an option.

I would love to know that there is a cheaper dup out there.

I will let you know what I decide. I have to get my new laptop first because school is starting soon and then I have to address the issue of a camera. I have 2 that will take video, but I am not to sure on the quality. I'll have to do a few tests and then I'll let you know.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 07:09 PM
Thanks. I am totally looking forward to seeing what you do. I always forget I have a camera on here. I could show my nails using that instead of scanning them and then you could see the bottle of polish too. I have to figure out how to use it again because I haven't used it in quite a while. My computer is 4 years old and is doing so many weird things that maybe the camera won't even work anymore. I can't wait to get a new one.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 PM
Spiorad wrote:

^ Next time go buy a really gritty nail file (they are usually a $1 or less at almost any drugstore, beauty store or walmart) and file the tops of your nails to break through the gel a little bit. This makes the removal process WAY easier, but just make sure you are using a file you don't plan to use again because it will pretty much destroy it.

I'll try to remember that. I did actually consider doing that this time (I remembered reading about doing that with acrylic nails), but none of my files seem adequate.
By Spiorad
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:05 PM
OH my GOODNESS you guys!! I came over to visit my dad in another state before I go back to school, and there is an AMAZING Ulta store here! It is seriously one of the most amazing ones I have ever seen and I went in and totally went crazy.

There were SO many sales going on such as Orly was on sale for $4 (usually between $8-10), Zoya, CND, Nail Tek, were all buy 2 get 1 free. They even had CND Sticky which I haven't been able to find ANYWHERE! And a BUNCH more.

I will post pictures and stuff when I get a chance but if you all get a chance to get Zoya Pixi Dust in Liberty, DO IT!!!!! One of the most AMAZING polishes I have ever seen! Even if you don't like the pixi dust (liquid sand, sugar nails etc) this is an AMAZING color with a top coat.

I seriously cannot WAIT to swatch these!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:09 PM
OMG! I am so jealous! Wish I could have been there w/you cause I would have done some damage too. Show us photos please!
By Spiorad
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:12 PM
^You have NO idea! I went in for only a few specific things, Murad face wash, Boots No. 7 face serum and lotion and MAYBE a few polishes.

Well... the few polishes thing went WAAAAAY out the window!

I bought my first Essie (Good as Gold) also on sale. And found this AMAZING flakie from, if you can believe it, the Kardashian nail collection! I was COMPLETELY shocked.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 PM
Oh please, I don't want to support the Kardasian's anymore then I already do, which is I don't. I can't stand any of them! The rest sound way to cool for words. I need more polish like I need a hole in the head but hey, a good deal is a good deal. I'm so w/you, sister! LOL I want to go shopping there!
By Spiorad
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 PM
^I know, it broke a part of my soul more than a little bit XP but I will give it whoever made the polish, it is a really beautiful flakie and I hope it translates well on to nails.

I think the reason I went into spree mode is because we don't have an Ulta where I am from. If I get anything like Orly, Finger Paints, China Glaze (I got ruby pumps during this haul!), I have to go to Sally's and even though I'm a member, they don't really have good deals, plus the selection in my area is really bad.

And to get Zoya I have to order it. So in the end it was better for me to just pick it up so that I don't have to pay the shipping charges, or have to wait months for the new colors to come out in my area.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 PM
I've never heard of Ultra so I'm guessing we don't have one in my area either. I know we don't have one in my town for sure but in CT I don't know. I hate to pay shipping and handling too. Sometimes I wonder if tax is the same as shipping and handling or if one is more then the other, you know what I mean? Someday I will have to figure that one out. Sometimes I wonder if it's cheaper to buy it in the store and pay 6 1/2% sales tax or have it delivered to your house and pay shipping? Free shipping would totally be better then paying tax but you rarely get that. We have a Sally's Beauty but it's small. They don't have a big selection of nail stuff, they have more hair stuff.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 PM
SoloJazzDancer wrote:

I've never heard of Ultra so I'm guessing we don't have one in my area either.

OMG. Ulta is one of my favorite stores. It's dangerous to go in, I usually buy more than I mean too.
By Spiorad
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 PM
majere wrote:

OMG. Ulta is one of my favorite stores. It's dangerous to go in, I usually buy more than I mean too.

OMG I TOTALLY second this! As proven by today.... there are still a few things that I am hoping to pick up (The Murad) because they said they were getting the shipment in today, but I am scared to go back because I obviously lack self control! Lol
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:18 PM
I am going to put some tape over this and add some black polish, but I wanted to share the color, I had forgotten how beautiful this polish is! I got this color free too, I forget why.

BL Knees Up
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/PJcNf3nl.jpg'

My nails are finally growing back after I clipped them all the way down over a week ago!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:24 PM
Nice color and nice nails too.
By Spiorad
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:18 PM
^^ I like that color. Reds were my polish of choice for a LONG time and I still have a special place in my heart for them :)

I also had to trim all of my nails pretty short because they kept chipping. If I was at home I would have just used my ASP gel to fix it until they grew out, but I don't have all my gear with me here haha.

I DID get a Sally Hansen Gel Kit though and I am excited to try it out! The great thing is that I've heard that it has one of the best LED lights and it can be used with pretty much all gel polishes, so I might pick up a few different polishes from different brands from Ulta before I leave.

As to what we were talking about a few posts ago. I have decided to start a blog and youtube channel and am setting it all up now. I have started the blog but only have one post up so I will post about it on here with a link when I have more content up.

I have been exploring a lot of popular nail art blogs and they are so busy doing their own thing that a lot of the time they don't answer the questions their audience really wants to know. I get that, but I want my blog, and youtube channel, to be guided (but not controlled) by what comparisons and reviews people want to see.

So what would YOU all like to see reviewed or compared? I am compiling a list of things so that if I feel stuck I can reference it haha
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:52 PM
Do a review of the gel kit! I would love to buy one but they are expensive! And compare base coats and top coats :) I will suscribe haha
By Spiorad
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 08:21 PM
Josiane wrote:

Do a review of the gel kit! I would love to buy one but they are expensive! And compare base coats and top coats :) I will suscribe haha

Ok I definitely will! One comparison/review I want to do is the ASP light less gel kit (which is really a resin and my first choice for mending broken nails) and the Sally Hansen gel kit I just got. I also want to try a gel sandwich with the gel and normal polish.

I want to do my reviews showing me actually applying everything so people can see exact how that all works, and then finish with me showing how it wears after a week. So each one will be a bit more of a process which is why I want to get a few filmed, edited and ready to post, same with my blog, that way I am not scrambling for things to post every week.

What exactly would you find the most informative?
I was thinking:
Price, quantity of item, how it applies, how it wears, quantity of time to apply and removal.

I am trying to think of ways to review base coats with out "tainting" the experiment because top coat and the polish itself definitely make a difference. My thought was to use different base coats, a polish that is known to stain nails, and then the same top coat.

Thoughts?
By Spiorad
On Thu Aug 15, 2013 09:46 PM
UGH! I did not think this would be a big deal but I don't have my Sally Hansen Instadri with me and I just painted my nails because I am heading to Vegas tomorrow and it is taking my polish FOREVER to dry!

When using my InstaDri I hardly have to wait at all!
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 PM
Spiorad, I think that would cover all aspects. I would just mae sure to not just say how long it lasted on your nails, but also say how long regular polish usually last on your nails. I think that was my biggest disappointment with the gel manicure I did at a salon. Everyone told me it would last two weeks but it started peeling off after four days. To me that's good because usually polish doesn't last for more than one hour. See what I mean?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 PM
Couldn't resist grabbing another Layla polish on clearance at ULTA.

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/0VG0MHql.jpg'
Layla Softouch Effects (03) Stone

I also noticed that a few of the pixi polishes at Target were on clearance for $2.40 (normally $8 which is super over-priced, they aren't that nice and the bottles are tiny) so I put this one on my toes.

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/rELSvbrl.jpg'
pixi 050 Summer Sunset
man I have ugly toes, I clearly don't take care of them as much as my hands, sorry!
By Spiorad
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/854/1xut.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/802/8d6k.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/194/0ocd.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/153/sir7.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/96/wdkx.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/89/re0v.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/855/0rbu.jpg'

So here it is! My summer haul! Most of this is from when I went to visit my dad, but not all of it. I just decided to combine everything because it was easier that way. I know that I usually give the names of everything but there are so many right now! Plus, I am still working on getting my blog up and running and so there is a lot I will be posting there that I wont be posting here. Close ups of all the groups, especially the 2 Kardashian polishes which look AMAZING, reviews on prices and more.

I want to have a decent amount of new content before I start giving the link out :)
By Spiorad
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 05:02 PM
I just had to drop in with a quick story!

I ran over to Walgreens on Saturday to buy some fake eyelashes for a performance that night and there is a cashier there who is always there when I am and knows me pretty well. Well I grabbed my falsies and went to checkout and she said:

"Wow that's the fastest I've ever seen you ready to check out... AND you didn't get any nail polish!?" *she looks down at my nails and sees that they are all chipped and awful* "AND YOUR NAILS AREN'T DONE!? Stop messing with my world!"

Seriously made my day! lol
By SoloJazzDancer
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 08:34 PM
Great story! No one there knows me that well or at CVS or they would probably say something every so often. Right now mine look good. I did them last night although if I do them again, I wouldn't pick the color I did. I have the Fuzzy Fantasy which is a light green and white fuzzy stuff w/clear polish. I used it over Revlon Crystalline Flash & Fantasy. That's a shimmery yellow color. The fuzzy doesn't look quite as good w/that color over it. I love yellow, orange and green so I thought it would look good over the yellow. Maybe I need a darker, more vibrant yellow? I don't know. I have some shades of green but I don't think the fuzzy green would show up. Maybe white? I like the length of my nails too, which is how they look in the summertime, people say they look fake. In the winter they are so brittle and they break a lot. Someone said it's the change in the weather and the drier weather.

Love the photo of all the nail polishes. I have to scan mine when I get back from the Cape!
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 PM
Could you do a how to and/or review of velvet nails?
I saw this at Marshall's and totally did an impulse buy. $10 for the kit. Came with polish brush and velvet powder.
Has anybody tried this? I haven't read all the pages here.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 PM
Never heard of or saw Velvet Nails. Sounds interesting. Reminds me of those paint by numbers on velvet, although I don't know why I say that. I'll have to check on Amazon. I like that they have reviews on stuff. I check there to see if people say stuff is crappy or really good before I buy anything. Saves me a lot of heartache. Good luck w/it and let us know how it turns out.
Page:
Page 26 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch