Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 3 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 PM
GetRhythm - Thanks! Repin to let me know which ones you like best :)

ameliadiane - I don't do my toes as much because with all my dancing they get messed up pretty fast. But all the ones I've done on my fingers (with the exception of water marbling unless you're really talented!) can be done on toes with some modifications. The leopard spots with the 3 colors underneath can easily be done on toes with just a solid color (or 2-3 on the big toe). I've done a lot of flower and rhinestone work on my toes but I haven't taken any pictures.

Next time I do my fingers I'll do my toes as well and take a picture. Do you have any requests? Maybe I can come up with something if you give me an idea as to what you might like.

Hooray4jj - That came out really cool! Even though you said it was a little difficult to cover the underlying color I really like the combination. Did you use anything to get that design effect or just free hand?

I've done something similar but what I did was take the really flimsy tan colored tape (looks kinda like the blue painters tape, which would work as well but is a lot stickier), press it and pull it away from my skin a couple times to get it as unsticky as possible and cut a design into the tape and put it on my nail and apply polish.

This is my latest look and I am in LOVE with the bottom polish!
OPI- DS Extravagance (so beautiful!)
Sally Hansen Xtremewear - 370 Black Out
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu Sep 13, 2012 02:57 AM
I just did it free hand, mostly because I really wanted a design that I could free hand. Some tape probably would have helped, but I didn't want it to have really straight lines, so I didn't do it that way. My base color was the coral color, then I did the bluish color. I realized right off that my brush had to have very little polish on it to do the 2nd color, otherwise it might drip or blob around. Problem with that is that you have to try a second coat, and it was hard to match up exactly the line I did with the first coat. Just like anything, after trying it a couple of times I am sure I will have it down. I still love the colors.
On Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 PM
That's cool, I agree that the colors are super pretty. :)

I just got this polish from Target. Its from Wet N' Wilds Fergie collection and its called Glamorous. I really like it but it is more expensive then other Wet N' Wild nail polish. I believe I paid $3.40 for it.

I have some cool ideas for it though so we'll see what happens.

I also painted over the black tips I had. I just wasn't really in love with the kinda french manicure/kinda gradient look that it had so I just painted over the tips. I'll try again at some point but I have to say that this is now my truly favorite polish! Its so beautiful and in the sun it is breathtaking!
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 02:24 PM
WOW! I have never had much luck with painting my own nails! Some of these ppictures of nailpolish are amazing! I wish I could paint my own nails! :(
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 03:33 PM

Love the black tips!

Tried to do half-moon this past week, didn't turn out great, will need more practice. I'm trying newspaper nails today, we'll see how it goes!
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:59 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-09-16 10:00:42
^ I LOVE those colors! Reminds me of watermelon on a hot summer day :)

Newspaper nails are fun! Are you going to be using actual newspaper/magazine paper or are you printing something out? and alcohol or water? I did it once with cutting up an Archie comic book and putting their little faces on my nails haha.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 05:06 PM
I used alcohol, the 70%. I'm happy with how most of them turned out. I need to use a different top coat though the one I used smeared a lot of the text :(
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 05:57 PM
^ I think if you apply the top coat liberally, it works a bit better. Let a drop of it kind of fall on your nail, then use as few strokes as possible to cover your nail.

Today is my nail day, not sure what I am going to do though. I think I may try just a quick scotch tape design. Either that or a vintage lace design, but I don't have an actual dotting tool so I am not sure. I broke down on Friday night and ordered a Konad stamper and 1 plate. I got a black, white and silver polish that I hear are good for stamping, and one more fun color. Hopefully they will get here mid week so I can play with them!
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:30 AM
Spiorad, was that glitter polish easy to use? I only have 1 glitter polish made by China Glaze because I never thought I liked glitter polish (turns out I do). Anyhow, it is pretty difficult to get the glitter to apply evenly, and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on the supposed great glitter polishes.

Well I tried to do the tape thing, but it was taking WAY too long to dry between coats enough to use the tape. On my first try, my thumbs were the only nails that were not completely messed up by the tape, so here is what I ended up with.

Image hotlink - 'http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/hooray4jj/tapenails.jpg'

Next manicure will either be using my new stamps, or leopard spots.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:55 AM
Ah, glitter polish. I have this one (I'm actually wearing it now) from OPI "Nothing Mousie 'bout it" one of the Minnie Mouse ones. It is the most difficult polish ever. It has these hearts in it and it's really hard to actually get the hearts on the brush.

www.drugstore.com . . .

It's really hard to get off.
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 AM
^ Have you tried the foil method to get off the glitter polishes? It helps a lot! At least for me it does.

I am seriously wanting to order a Konad stamper/plates, but I'm too broke right now and can't legitimately justify it. Maybe in a couple months.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:24 PM
You guys are making me want to have more fun with my nails! Are there tumblrs or websites you use for tutorials? Even just for basic home manicures? Any help will get you karma! ;)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:24 PM
Amylia wrote:

^ Have you tried the foil method to get off the glitter polishes? It helps a lot! At least for me it does.

No but I just looked it up. I'll have to try it!
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:10 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-09-17 10:11:25
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-09-17 10:15:50

Hooray4jj - I did my nails last night (Sunday's my nail day haha) so I'll post pictures as soon as I get home. I'm at Uni and don't have my cord for my camera. I actually am really happy with how my nails turned out and am excited to see what you all think!

For anyone thinking of getting into nail stamping

I REALLY suggest starting out with Bundle Monster plates. Konad is SO expensive, and while their plates are good, I honestly feel that I get the same results from my Bundle Monster plates as I do from my Konad plate. The only difference is that Konad is something like $5.00 a plate and I got 21 Bundle Monster plates for less then $20.00

I also just ordered a set of MASH plates so I'll let you know how I like them when they come in.

I also have the Salon Express nail stamping kit (as seen on TV but bought at Walgreens) and I do not recommend it, even for beginners. The stamper is cheap and the full nail designs are TINY. Not worth it IMO.

I would get a Konad stamper though. You can usually find them on ebay or amazon for a fair price. The scraper doesn't have to be konad though. I use an old credit card/gift card because it is easier to clean. The Konad scraper has grooves and stuff that are really hard to clean so polish gets stuck there and then it doesn't work as well.

Glitter Nail Polish and the Love/Hate relationship with its Wear and Removal
(credit for picture goes to: www.overpolished.com . . . )

I started using the method in the picture I posted and it is A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!!!!! Seriously, it is fabulous! I don't have an empty polish bottle (but you can either use acetone to clean out an old one or go to a beauty supply store, they sometimes have empty ones) so I just got a cheap-o brush from walmart and used that to brush it on straight from the bottle.

Nienna I started out mostly watching youtube videos because I found them easier to follow then blogs. I could actually SEE exactly what needed to be done and it made all the difference for me.

I would suggest looking at www.youtube.com . . . <<< Cutepolish
www.youtube.com . . . <<< TotallyCoolNails
www.youtube.com . . . <<< Ihaveacupcake

And if you want pictures for inspiration I have a ton on my pinterest (yup some shameless self promotion! haha) pinterest.com . . . <<< Plus most of the pictures link to tutorials.
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 PM
Here's what I came up with last night. I actually LOVE how it turned out! :)

I used:
Sally Hansen Xtremewear - 307 Black out
Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure - 310 Gilty Pleasure
(And on my ring fingers)
Wet n' Wild Fergie - A004 Glamorous

And of course my ever faithful Bundle Monster plate BM-223

What do you all think?
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 03:59 AM
^ Love it! I usually don't like much gold, but it looks really good with the black! Also, I am pretty sure that I am following you on pinterest.

I will go ahead and admit it though, the place I go to see most of my inspiration is not pinterest. I go here www.reddit.com . . . which is a good community, but if you aren't into this type of message board, just stay on that 1 subreddit and don't go anywhere else. I warned you. I have seen lots of good blogs linked there, and for the most part it is just all pictures, so you don't have to wade through a lot of junk to see the good stuff.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Wed Sep 19, 2012 05:23 AM
^^ LOVE it!! The zebra print and glitter look great together!

I just painted my nails tonight and I love how they look! They're silver with gold accent nails. As I said before, I have absolutely no skill in the nail department at all, so I just do plain colors and leave the other stuff up to professionals (or my sister who is just as good and also free).
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 03:24 AM
^^Thanks! This is one of my favorites I've done :)

What is reddit exactly? I have heard of it but I have never actually gone on.

I just got back from Walmart and I manage to get a bottle of Hard Candy Matte Top Coat. I can't wait to give it a try!
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 05:05 AM
^ usually the way people answer the "what is reddit" question is by saying "the front page of the internet." Everything is on there. It is like pinterest without the pretty format combined with a very active message board. There are good and bad parts. I like it for a few very specific things, because it is easier than googling and looking through a bunch of blogs/etc, when you can have the best of all of those linked in 1 spot.
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 04:19 AM
I had a crisis this week, broke 2 nails and did not get the glitter covered with a topcoat well enough and it was bothering me a lot.

So I did an impromptu Thursday night nail session. The whole gob of stuff I ordered last week all came in EXCEPT my stamper, so I can't do anything fancy until that gets here. I cannot perfect this whole taking pictures of my nails thing. Either I use a flash and get glare and bluriness, or I don't use a flash and get close to a lamp which throws off the color. I really need to start taking the pictures during day time. Anyway... leopard nails, not my best effort.

Image hotlink - 'http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/hooray4jj/leopardnails_zps0a19047b.jpg'

This is more what I was going for 2.bp.blogspot.com . . . Bdo/oG9x6tKtgR4/s1600/neonleopard4.jpg but I didn't actually read or watch a tutorial because I thought it looked pretty straight forward. Better luck next time.
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 04:27 AM
forgot to add the picture of my meager collection of polishes.

Image hotlink - 'http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/hooray4jj/collection92012_zps13e256cc.jpg'

If you want to know what any of the colors are, just ask!
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 07:27 AM
^That is a great collection :) I love China Glaze's Fairy Dust, it works so well with so many things!

My friends and I had a girls night tonight and they asked me to do their nails and one of my friends wanted owls. I've never done owls before! But I gave it a try and I LOVE how they turned out!

I also got my MASH plates today and I LOOOVE them!
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 09:25 PM
Love those owls, too cute!

On your recommendation I ordered a set of MASH plates tonight and a Konad stamper. Can't wait til it comes in! I also ordered a set of fimo sticks and some MASH jewels.
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 03:54 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-09-23 16:02:40
^ Thanks! She really liked them too :)

I just got my MASH plates in Friday Night! I got the 2012 collection and I love it! There are so many different ones from my Bundle Monster set so I'm really happy.

Which ones did you order?

Make sure that you have an exacto knife or a straight edge razor to cut the FIMO sticks, scissors some times don't give you the precision to be able to cut them as thin as you need.

I love putting jewels on my nails and I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

I get mine off of ebay www.ebay.com . . .

it is such a great deal as long as you are ok with waiting for the shipping. I usually but 2mm 3mm & 4mm (all from the same seller) so that I have some variety.
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 PM
Love the owls!

I am so frustrated right now, I ordered my stamper over a week ago and it still hasn't shipped. I have all of the other supplies but I can't do anything til that stamper gets here and I have a feeling I will have to cancel that order and try a different company.

So anyway, it is Sunday Nail day and I decided to try the polish that came in my September Birchbox. It is a horrendous looking green color by Color Club called Tweet Me. Thankfully it does look a little better on the nails than in the bottle, but I still don't like the color or the formula. I did the cloud thing again with China Glaze White on White.

On a happy note, I am doing better at taking pictures of my nails!
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/lph9uh.jpg'

On the other forums I go to I was a day late on hearing about a big deal getting 3 Butter London lacquers and a Butter London Top coat for free! I hear that today is the last day for the Sally Beauty clearance sale, where you get extra savings off their items already red tagged. Whenever I hear of more deals I will try to be more prompt about passing them along to you!

Also I am thinking about signing up for Julep Maven (because I need another beauty box, I already get Birchbox and Sample Society). To get maybe 3 months of stuff and then canceling. I heard this last month that for members if they bought the mystery box for $20 it actually ended up having something like 10 polishes in it!
Page:
Page 3 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch