Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 30 of 321 2 3 4 5 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By Soleil2213member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1313, member since Tue Sep 14, 2004
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:31 PM
I've been lurking in this thread since it started, I love to see how creative and talented you all are. I recently got back into painting my nails, and was getting frustrated that I couldn't remember what polishes I had used, or what they looked like...so I started a tumblr! It's basically just a picture diary of what is on my nails, not nearly as interesting or in depth as spiorad's blog, but it does show at least one color a week swatched. Nothing fancy, mostly just sinful colors. I work as a waitress a few days a week, so polish never stays on. The colors make me happy though!
theshinycuticle.tumblr.com
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Nov 29, 2013 08:59 PM
I broke a nail. 3 actually. One I broke really low, the other 2 I just chipped. I don't know about you guys but in the winter my nails get real brittle. In the summer they are as hard as nails! LOL In the winter, and someone said it's because of the heat in the house, the dry air and how cold it is outside, my nails chip and break no matter what I put on them. I filed them all but not as short as the one that broke low, so they all look the same length except for one. I hope they don't look to weird.

More sales this week. I found these on the the Ocean State Job Lots e-mail that I got. You have to use a coupon to get the deals but they are good.
Sally Hanson Insta-Dry Fast Dry Nail Color with Free on Pack Clearly Quick - $1.60
Sally Hason Salon Effects Real Polish Nail Strips or French Mani - $2.40
Revlon Crazy Shine To Go Nail Buffer - $1.50

Rite Aid and CVS have a Thurs., Fri. and Sat. sale and some of these look so cool! I may have to ask for some.
Sally Hanson Insta Ombre or Salon Effects kit - Wow! $9.99 plus $3 ExtraBucks rewards for next purchase - CVS
Wet n Wild megalast salon nail color set. (There are 8 different colors in this one.) Sale! $3.99 with card plus $2 ExtraBucks rewards for next purchase - CVS

L.A. Colors Color Craze D.I.Y. NailKit in Dotty and Caviar - You pay $3.99 and get 3.00 +UP Reward - Rite Aid.

Happy shopping guys!
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:09 PM
I have been cutting my nails down almost daily in attempts to get a fresh start, so I haven't been doing anything special, just plain color (which I have really enjoyed, btw).

Anyway I decided to finally spend some Julep points because I don't know if they expire and I might be canceling soon. Anyway, so I decided to get their special box this month that was just nail "tools" it came with a cuticle remover (I already have one, but wanted to try theirs and it works well), cuticle oil (smells really great and rolls on), and quick dry drops! I have been wanting to try quick dry drops before but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Oh my god, I don't think I will ever be able to go back to not using them! I did 3 coats polish, 1 coat top coat and waited 2 minutes. Then I did 1 drop on each nail and it was really easy to use, it is basically just oil and it spreads perfectly on the nail when you drop it on. I was nervous to touch it but after 2 minutes I decided to test it and they were totally dry (at least on the top) and smooth and perfect! If you don't mind spending the money, I would recommend adding some (any brand probably works) to your bag of tools!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:33 PM
I got three of the Zoya Pixie Dust polishes for Christmas. Sunshine (blue), Chita (green), and Arabella (pink). I like them a lot better than the liquid sand. They look prettier. I've used two of them so far, I haven't used the green one yet
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:57 PM
I have to get some of that Pixie Dust polish. I got some nail polish for Christmas. Sinful Frenzy. Our local Stop and Shop had a huge display of Sinful. Not like Walgreens, they only had like 10 colors and the whole display was all 10 colors. Okay, maybe 15. It was a huge display with 4 sides to it and all the colors were the same on all 4 sides. I wished they had more to pick from but I wasn't complaining as this was a stocking gift and Stop and Shop never had this before. I just have not had time to do my nails and make sure they dry and I don't smudge them. I put some base coat on and buffed my ridges down so they look nice and smooth and that's as far as I got. Then I either broke or chipped my nails or both so they had to be filed. That happens a lot in the winter. It's been cold and the heat has been on full blast because dad is freezing. Oh, it's so hard to have beautiful hands! LOL When I do them again, I will let everyone know.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:37 AM
Gioia- I just got two different brands of quick dry drops. I thought it was weird because it was on a Zoya Black Friday event so you bought X amount of products and they gave you their mini lock it set free (base coat, top coat, dri drops, and a mini bottle of polish remover in a cute little case) but then they also threw a bottle of Qtica dri drops. I've never heard of the brand but I'm excited to try it out, especially after you liked them so much!

I have really been going overboard with all of the after Christmas sales and NEED TO STOP. I can't take the majority of these things with me anyway but its like, Rimmel went on sale for $1.19 from (I think) $5.99 so I snatched up some bottles. The nail kits from around Christmas went on sale 50-90% off depending on what it was and the store, so my mom got me a bunch of stuff there. I just need to reign it in especially because Zoya has been teasing that they have something HUGE Planned.

They said to have an account already so if you want to go over to Zoya.com and sign up.

They have been hyping it up so much that it better be HUGE or I'm going to be a little ticked lol.

Majere- I LOVE Zoya Pixi Polishes! Seriously, out of all the brands I have tried, I feel like they consistently get it right! I have several of them and want to add a few more (BUT MUST RESIST FOR NOW!!! lol).

SoloJazzDancer- I know what you mean. I just broke 2 of my nails and was so upset because I had been growing them out. So I patched them and extended the tips instead of cutting them all down. Hopefully they will grow out to a respectable length quickly so that I can get them all even again.
On Tue Dec 31, 2013 07:49 AM
Yeah, it's a pain in the winter. In the summer people ask if my nails are fake or my own. I never cut my nails though, just file them. Sometimes when they chip, it's just a chip in the middle of the nail so a filing is all I need. Sometimes it's on one end. Sometimes the chip is very tiny and not to noticeable, but I will snag something and run a finger over it and realize there is a chip. Other times it's a little bigger and sometimes it's much bigger. Then I get the nail file out and fix it. I just like to have my nails looking really nice, that's all. I'm glad I've never been a nail biter. I can't look at people's hands when they look like that. I know how my nails feels when one breaks down really low and that happens rarely, and I can't imagine the pain they feel.
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu Jan 02, 2014 05:03 PM
The Zoya announcement is up! www.zoya.com . . .

3 FREE bottles of polish, you just pay $12 shipping/handling.
On Thu Jan 02, 2014 09:11 PM
^I saw that! I was actually a little miffed at them though. They were teasing about it SO MUCH. Hyping it WAY up, having a countdown clock, saying how everyone should go get their account before time ran out etc etc. and then today when the clock FINALLY goes down! .... oh the deal isn't even live for another week....

Don't get me wrong, I'm very greateful for it, but still. They over hyped it.

Plus, I am really displeased to see that they raised the price of their polishes. It seems like no big deal, but for me it is. I can't justify buying them up the same way I used to.

Don't get me wrong, I still love their polishes, that hasn't changed, and I will still buy them. But not in the same quantities, or with the same "spur of the moment" gusto as before.
On Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 PM
I just wanted to give you all a heads up that I hit 100 subscribers on my youtube channel so I am doing a giveaway!

Come check it out! tinyurl.com . . .
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Wed Jan 08, 2014 01:47 AM
Awww Spiorad...you're so sweet. :) I've subscribed to your channel and I love your videos. You have such a nice 'bed time story' kind of voice. I bet you're great with children!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have done acrylic nails yourself. As in using acrylic powder and all. I'd love to give it a try, but I'd like to hear about any decent products that are affordable to dapple in acrylics. My friend from Switzerland is coming over for a few weeks and we'd love to have 'girlfriend' time. LOL. :P

A great nail polish find: Essence Color and Go nail polishes. I love these little gems!
On Wed Jan 08, 2014 06:39 AM
Never done acrylics so I can't help you I'm afraid.

My nails are so awful due to this horribly cold weather we are having and having to keep the heat up high because of it. It's 1-2 degrees outside and that's not with the wind chill! They are so brittle and chipping all over the place! I just filed them and and 2 or 3 of them are chipped! One nail broke so low it looks dangerous! LOL It doesn't hurt or anything but it looks horrible compared to all the rest. I hate when this happens! They may be brittle but boy are they strong! I just tried to bend one of them to test it and it wouldn't budge! I'd buy some of that stuff for brittle nails but it only happens at this time of year and if it wasn't for the weather and the dry air inside, they would be fine. Darn it all anyway!
On Wed Jan 08, 2014 08:22 AM
Gavrilushka thank you! That is so sweet! Especially since I haven't been feeling well in my last few videos so I feel like my voice is all wonky. haha

I have done acrylics on myself and honestly, its really not something to do as a spur of the moment. You really do need to practice. It can take a while to learn just how much powder is needed vs. water vs. nail bed area. The biggest struggle most people have is making it look natural. Making the surface even without dents or ripples, and making sure that the acrylic isn't to big and thick. Even when filing the acrylic down it can take some practice to get the right shape.
On Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 PM
Found these in an Ocean State Job Lots e-mail. If one is near you, feel free to tell them that I enabled you! LOL

Borghese of China Glaze Polish - $2.
Nail Crack Nail Lacquer or Nabi Magnetic Nail - $1.50.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:49 PM
I went into Ulta today. Spent about $60.

I bought the Gwen Stefani OPI minis and a set of Butter polish, it has 5 smaller than normal bottles (but they were all ones I haven't bought yet). I got some other stuff too, but that is the nail stuff.
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 06:17 PM
I just got a full gel set with hot pink polish. I was tired of my polish wearing off after 1-2 days, but that is the nature of my job, and I can finally once again afford to keep up with gels, so I went back to them.
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:15 PM
Today I went to our theater to help my sister sell her stuff with her photos on them and her shawls and rouana's (a cape like the cowboys and Clint Eastwood wore in the movies). I also got to see the play Evita. I didn't do a real lot with my hands, at least not enough to make them break but 3 of them chipped and now 5 of them look like nubs, like I bite my nails! They look so horrible! I know it's the cold weather and the dry air inside because of the high heat but this is nuts! I so totally can't wait for the warmer weather when my nails are better. However, my toe nails are growing like crazy! I also had a horrible hangnail that was bleeding after I cut it so I have a band-aid on it. My hands are a mess! Is anyone else having this problem?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 PM
I've been getting in to giving myself regular pedis, and for the first time in probably 5 years, painted my fingernails. Revlon Colorstay polish is on clearance at Target, and I bought two colors - I have "Rich Raspberry" on my toes (which is the color of a fresh raspberry, it's terrific), and "Trade Winds" on my fingers, a nice neutral tan. My only beef with it so far is WOW does the scent linger. This is awful - every time I put my hands near my face, I get gassed out! :O
On Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 PM
In the 60's or 70's, I forget which because I've been doing my nails for that long, they came out with scented polish. I opened one bottle up and the smell almost knocked me over! It's a tiny bottle, they have not changed the size of the bottle since then much, so how much scent do they need in such a small bottle? I never bought it. I'd like the raspberry color but not that much scent. I am a super smeller so even if the smell wasn't that strong, it probably would be to me. That's one color I don't have though, raspberry. I'll have to look for that color.

I just did my nails with Sinful in an orange color. Mandarine I think but I can't find the bottle to check. I love the color and it lasted for about 4 or 5 days before it chipped. Also, since it's spring although not today because it's chilly and we have the heat on, my nails have all grown to a great length and only one has broken and not that far down either! I love how my nails look right now! I have to get the chipped polish off though.
On Wed May 28, 2014 01:40 PM
I don't know if this works or not but I got it in an e-mail and it's perfect for here. If anyone has ever done this, please let us know!

Hint 2: Deep shades of nail polish are fun, but after you remove the polish your nails might be stained - even if you used a base coat. To bring your nails back to normal try this
quick tip.

Mix equal parts of baking soda and water to create a paste. Rub on your nails and let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse. Viola....stains are gone!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed May 28, 2014 03:47 PM
^ Thanks for that tip. My nails seem to be incredibly pourous and get stained so easily when wearing dark colours, even if I do use a basecoat. (Its one reason I've mostly stopped wearing nailpolish altogether!) I'm going to have to try it

I don't have a picture, but for my friend K's wedding a couple of weeks ago, I bought one of the OPI Muppets Most Wanted range in "Muppets World Tour". It's a textured polish, full of super-fine sandy white glitter and larger hexagonal iridescent pieces in a clear base. Most swatches I found online had it as a topcoat over colours, but it worked brilliantly on plain nude nails. I used two coats for full coverage and it dried fast and took nearly a week to start chipping.

The texture took a bit of getting used to: I'm used to having my nails go slick and shiny when polished!
On Wed May 28, 2014 04:36 PM
Yes the baking soda trick does work for pretty much all stains. My toe nails stain all the time and use baking soda on them. You really don't need much at all, and just a drop of water to make a thick paste. I have been told that you actually can dissolve the baking soda in water and soak your whole foot/hand in that, but I don't know why you would want to do it that way.
On Wed May 28, 2014 07:44 PM
Glad to know that baking soda thing works. I'm never sure when I get those hints if they actually work.

That Muppets Nail Polish sounds amazing! Can I ask where you got it? I'd love to get some. I have an Amazon gift card, 2 actually, and maybe I can get it there? It sounds like a fun polish and something I would love! In fact, my niece would love some too so I might gift her with some too. Thanks for telling me about that polish.
On Wed May 28, 2014 07:47 PM
Can I also ask what color it is predominately? Just wondering is all.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed May 28, 2014 08:15 PM
The Revlon Colorstay polish is on clearance at Target right now, if you're a savvy couponner, you can get a good deal. I got 2 bottles for $1.75!

The raspberry color seems to have gone on much smoother than the tan color did. And my son pointed out that the tan didn't look as bad as I thought, which is no doubt true, but even still.

I'm wanting to branch in to some nail art, and I'll admit that I bought the two Colorstay colors thinking they might look nice together, but I don't think they will. The Raspberry color is pigmented enough that one coat just about gets the job done, the tan needs at least two. No bueno.
Page:
Page 30 of 321 2 3 4 5 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch