Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 32 of 321 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:52 PM
What is a peel off base coat? All of the nail polish I own is peel off and I don't know why. We were shopping in JC Pennys one day and I had just done my nails the night before or the day before that. I happened to look down at my hands and 3 of my nails were white! My nail polish came off like what I am guessing is your peel off base coat. I never did find my nail polish not that it would have mattered anyway. I put base coat on, then the polish and then a top coat. I am the only one in my family that this happens to. It must have seemed weird to see nail polish like that on the floor of Penny's if that's even where it was. It could have been anywhere but I never found it. I can't tell you how annoying that is. If I had done my nails a week ago that might not have been so bad but to just have done them was a pain in the butt! LOL
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:57 PM
I'm reposting this again because I never got an answer. I don't know if anyone read it all. If you can't help, just say so and I will ask elsewhere. I just figured you guys would know something.
Does anyone know what to do for ridges? I started getting them about 5-10 years ago. I never had them before. I hate the way they look. I read on the paper that came with my glass nail file that I could use that file to file the ridges and I've done that but they always seem to come back. I think filing them makes them more brittle but that's only in the winter. They are long in the spring and summer and people have asked me if they are real so it can't be the filing.
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 02:00 PM
Peel off base coat? Spiorad, please to be explaining. I have not experienced such a thing but it sounds glorious for glitter polish (which we all know is notorious for never coming off your nails even through the zombie apocalypse little bis of glitter will be forever stuck to our nails).

And SoloJazDancer, I have no idea about the ridges. I've got them myself, but I typically put a base coat on first to even them out and also because my nails are very weak. I don't file the ridges because they tear so easy, I don't want to make them thinner than they already are.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 04:31 PM
Sumayah, exactly! And truly it is the absolute BEST! For a while there was this thing online of using plain elmers school glue as a base coat to make taking off glitter polish easier, but to be honest, it really sucked. It peeled off within a few hours and wasn't worth the hassle.

That being said I now have 2 different types of peel off base coat. one is UNT and the other is Sally Hansen BIG peel off basecoat. I use UNT when I'm going to be doing a LOT of swatches (either or pictures or something) and I use BIG if I want it to last longer. THAT BEING SAID. I change my polish every 2-3 days, so for me it really doesn't have to last a long time. The reason I love my peel off base coats is because I use so much chunky glitter and holo polishes that they are a nightmare to take off.

Here is a photo/video of one of my favorite glitter bombs that is WRETCHED to get off: www.instagram.com . . .

and here is how easy the peel off base coat made everything: www.instagram.com . . .

(that is my instagram account you're welcome to follow but it's all Disney Stuff and Nail stuff lol so it might not be very interesting hahaha)
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 07:17 PM
Oh my gosh! That is so cool! I've never seen that one but I am going to look for it. What's funny is when my nail polish peels off like that, it even works with glitter but not all the time. It just takes so long to do your nails that for it to peel off like that in a day or 2 is a real pain in the butt! I want my nail polish to last longer then a day or 2. What's the point of going through all that trouble to do your nails and have it peel off or chip right away?
On Mon Feb 20, 2017 07:27 PM
Has anyone did the nail polish drying trick of putting your nails in cold water? I've done it a few times. The first time I did it I guess the water was way to cold because my hands and arms were freezing and I thought maybe they would turn blue. The next time the water wasn't so cold. Both times I had my fingers in their for about 5 min. or more. It's hard to do it in the winter though because its cold out. My nails still smudged!
How long should you leave your hands in the water so the polish doesn't smudge? I had a manicure done at a salon and they put it under that dryer thing. I needed to use my phone when I got out and smudged a nail! Then my niece bought me a nail dryer and it was so loud it was drowning out the TV. I stopped using it when my parents complained about the noise.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 PM
^Well, as I said, for me personally, I change my polish very often. Either every day or every 2-3 days. If I am just painting my nails, no nail art or anything, it only takes about 10 minutes. So its not a big waste of time for me. The peel off base coat makes it easier for me to change my polish without having to get into the messy business of nail polish remover, cotton balls and all that junk.

As for the cold water "trick", I've never liked it. I tried it and it never really worked for me. As far as I can see it just dries the top layer of polish, but the other layers don't get dried because only the top layer comes in contact with the cold water. So with the inner layers still soft, it leads to smudging.
On Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 PM
There was a nail/hair place in my town where if you wanted to be a hairdresser or work in a nail salon you could learn how and then get a job somewhere. Some of them came to our school to give the mom's and teachers a free manicure. Being a sub they let me get one too. They told me they were taught that it takes 24/48 hours for a manicure to fully dry. I couldn't believe that! I remember thinking if that was true, no one would ever do their nails. My nails smudged right after I had them done. This place closed up and everyone showed up one day for classes and they were closed. The whole chain when under.
I get what you mean about the water. I try to move my hands around or type on my computer, anything to keep them moving & dry them. That was before I heard about the water. Sometimes they don't smudge but a lot of the time they do and that's what I hate. It takes me long enough to get them to look perfect and then a smudge or 2 or 5! LOL
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Feb 28, 2017 09:50 PM
Fancy nails are fancy.

Pinup sent me a care package! So pictured are Zoya's Naked Manicure "Naked Base," Julep's "Ina," Black Dahlia Laquer's "Woke Up On 6th Street," pearls, and Zoya's Naked Manicure "Glossy Seal."
On Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 PM
Care packages are always nice. I don't always get them although I got a nice package of about 14 small bottles of nail polish for Christmas. You know, one of those packages they always put out only at Christmas. There is one color I don't like and it's either a black or navy but I like the rest.
I like how you did your nails too. I'm going to find that holographic nail polish and post a photo of it from Amazon. You will love it!
On Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2017-03-01 08:27:11 I hotlinked a picture for you
I'm going to try to post this. I don't know if it will work or not. The photo won't show because I don't have it saved to my computer. This is everything but the photo but if you go on Amazon with what I'm going to send you, you can at least see it.

Shade Shifter Multichrome Nail Polish- 0.5 oz Full Sized Bottle
by KBShimmer

Price: $9.25
Ships from and sold by KBShimmer Bath & Body.

Shade Shifter is a multi-chrome that changes depending on light and angle from cyan, to blue, to red orange, to purple.
Image hotlink - 'https://www.kbshimmer.com/images/products/preview/shade-shifter.jpg'
On Mon Mar 06, 2017 08:53 PM
Yes, that's it! Thank you for doing that. I love the color and how it looks. I have to get some.
On Mon Mar 06, 2017 09:02 PM

Let's try this one again. I love this one too and I'll bet it looks cool on your nails.
Page:
Page 32 of 321 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch